PDA

View Full Version : Help needed UK Norfolk

lode
08-28-2009, 06:10 AM
Hello. Have to say really glad for this website! Can anyone out there help me. I live in Norfolk in the UK and have a little baby squirrel that my husband found. I think it is about 5 weeks old as it has hair on its body and tail but none on its tummy and its eyes are shut. I found a website that told me to give cows milk (yes, that one!!) fortunately I spoke to a lady way up north and she told me to give it goat milk?! So I have rehydrated it and started it on the goat milk. It seems to be fine, gripping on to the syringe to get to the fluid, and it has pooed and weed! However, I have a small problem. I need a rescue home for it. I cannot release it as it is illegal to do that here without a licence and, as there is a red squirrel colony in the forest, would be a little irresponsible. And I can't keep it because 1. I don't want to, 2. it is a wild animal and not a pet and 3. (the most important reason) it is illegal!! So really, damned if I do and damned if I don't. I can't take it to an RSPCA centre as they will euthanase it, and having spent the last 3 days trying to keep it alive - well, you can see where I am coming from? So I either need a wildlife rescue hospital that has an enclosure to keep it in with other little squirrels or one that has a licence to release. Any ideas. Really I am stuck.:osnap

Pointy Tale
08-28-2009, 08:36 AM
Hello. Have to say really glad for this website! Can anyone out there help me. I live in Norfolk in the UK and have a little baby squirrel that my husband found. I think it is about 5 weeks old as it has hair on its body and tail but none on its tummy and its eyes are shut. I found a website that told me to give cows milk (yes, that one!!) fortunately I spoke to a lady way up north and she told me to give it goat milk?! So I have rehydrated it and started it on the goat milk. It seems to be fine, gripping on to the syringe to get to the fluid, and it has pooed and weed! However, I have a small problem. I need a rescue home for it. I cannot release it as it is illegal to do that here without a licence and, as there is a red squirrel colony in the forest, would be a little irresponsible. And I can't keep it because 1. I don't want to, 2. it is a wild animal and not a pet and 3. (the most important reason) it is illegal!! So really, damned if I do and damned if I don't. I can't take it to an RSPCA centre as they will euthanase it, and having spent the last 3 days trying to keep it alive - well, you can see where I am coming from? So I either need a wildlife rescue hospital that has an enclosure to keep it in with other little squirrels or one that has a licence to release. Any ideas. Really I am stuck.:osnap

Hi, Thank You for Saving this little one!!!!

I am not a rehabber, but here is some quick information to get you started until a rehabber can come on to help you, OK. I am not sure if there is or who the TSB Rehabber would be in the UK.

Baby Squirrels are Feed 'Esbilac Puppy Formula'

I FOUND A BABY SQUIRREL, NOW WHAT??: The Squirrel Board > Help Needed! > Emergency (Life Threatening) Help Needed > I FOUND A BABY SQUIRREL, NOW WHAT?? (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11782)
The first thing is to get it warm. Snuggled in the heating pad (in fleece? tshirt? something snuggly).

Can you can post a picture?

Does it look injured at all? How did your husband find the baby? Possibly cat or animal attack?

The baby must be thoroughly warmed FIRST before anything given by mouth. Baby also may want a rice buddy so it has something to snuggle

Next would be either Pedialyte or the homemade recipe(Never feed a cold sq!. Homemade: 1 quart warm water, 1 teaspoon table salt, 2 tablespoons sugar).

Please hang tight for someone to identify a Rehabber in Norfolk in the UK for you.

tufftie
08-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Look in the bit under UK squirrels and find West Meon Squirrel and wildlife rescue - You can call anytime and they are great! Let us know what happens. Sorry if I was nearer I'd come and help.
Tufts x

Crazymunk
08-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Good Luck....I'm in norfolk too !!!!!!!! :thumbsup Not a rehabber though. the law is stupid here isn't here? You can rescue greys but not keep or release so what the hell are you supposed to do? As you can see from my avitar I keep and breed Chipmunks. :D

lode
09-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks to everyone for their help and advice. email the west meon people - they were really helpful. I still have the squirrel! My son has named it Jay-az (god knows where he picked that from!). Anyway, it is doing really well and guzzing milk. I have another question for you. I noticed today that it is biting at the branches that i put in the cage with it - why? I offered it a little bit of banana (which it ate a few bites of but didn't seem too impressed! What else can I feed it to start weaning it other than pine nuts and avocado? - or should I post this onto another section?

island rehabber
09-10-2009, 11:38 AM
They love to chew on branches, twigs and buds from native trees -- in the wild this is 70% of their diet, bark and plant matter. Only the yew and cherry trees are toxic to them -- everything else is great. Just be careful of evergreens with sap, which will mat their fur.