PDA

View Full Version : broken leg on little girl

thundersquirrel
09-27-2006, 08:00 PM
we're in a bit of a predicament, and it'll take a tough decision or two.

we got two female fox squirrels a couple days ago, around 5 or 6 weeks old. they both had very bad fleas, but one has been mangled by a dog (we assume that's what it was). she was bleeding when we got her from a few wounds on her legs and torso, but we cleaned those up. now she is 100 % healthy except for her back right leg.

it's totally useless. we had her x-rayed today and she has a bone break on her upper theigh. the big problem with this (for those of you who don't know) is that it's much harder to pin and set, and if it doesn't heal right we'll have to put her down. this is because if we release her, and she gets pregnant, and her bone structure around her hips is messed up, she and her babies will probably have a very painful and slow death.

the doctor thinks we should try pinning it, but she's asking too much (near $400). we're looking for a cheaper vet, meanwhile wondering if pinning it will work. we'd hate to get her all fixed up and put her through the pains of surgery just so she can grow up and be euthanized in the end. then again, it's possible that pinning would work, and she'll be releasable.

anyone had a situation like this before? a success story would be nice. i'm on the side of pinning her leg, just because she's so healthy otherwise. i dunno what we'll do......:dono

squirrelfriend
09-27-2006, 08:05 PM
If pregnancy is a danger, why not just get her neutered at the same time?

dmgualtieri
09-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Any chance you have any teaching vet schools by you?? I have Tufts wildlife by me and they do all the wildlife on donations. Although if they determine her chances to be poor they may just euthanize her.

Suro
09-28-2006, 03:47 AM
dmgualtieri has a great idea there. Don't loose heart and keep trying to find a nice vet or vet school that will have a look at her for you.
Keep us updated, would love to know how she gets on. If you were near us i would ask our vets for you. :(

heidiann
09-28-2006, 06:25 AM
Sorry to hear about your little girl. I hope you and your mother are guided to make the right decision and have peace about it no matter what it may be. I wish there was a needy squirrel fund for this sort of thing. I know I wouldn't be able to afford it if something like that happened to me. One of my ducks has a dragging possibly broken wing from a fox attack. I don't know what to do either. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. God Bless. Heidi

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-28-2006, 06:27 AM
I agree with Suro, keep looking up, the right answer will come along. That is what is so great about everyone here. We are giving squirrles a chance that otherwise wouldnt have one! Dont lose faith, I know you will make the right decision.

thundersquirrel
09-28-2006, 02:02 PM
we found another vet.

they euthanized her.

Critter_Queen
09-28-2006, 02:25 PM
Awe geez. I'm sorry TS...that sucks.

Man, what is it lately?? Something in the freakin' water??

I'm headed to pick up three new ones tonight...let's hope their HEALTHY.

Sorry again, TS... I hope it was YOUR decision to euthanize her...not the vet's...

Secret Squirrel
09-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Sorry TS.....I know your upset. :grouphug

island rehabber
09-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Damn, TS, I'm so sorry about this! If only you were here in NY I know my vet would have tried wrapping the leg...she did it for a squirrel I had who fractured his hind leg in 3 places. And why are vets charging for wildlife over there? Outrageous! Again I'm so sorry. :(

heidiann
09-28-2006, 07:46 PM
So sorry to hear it had to go that way. I know you've had a bad run lately but keep doing what you're doing. It's worth it for the ones you can save. Sorry again. Heidi

Somebody's Mother
09-28-2006, 08:43 PM
sorry to hear that thundersquirrel. if you had been near me i would have sent you to my vet. he was willing to put a pin in the leg of a baby robin my dog caught for $75.

SquirrelyGirly
09-28-2006, 08:48 PM
:shakehead Sorry TS. Keep your head up hon:grouphug

GhosTS
09-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Sorry to hear the sad news TS.You did all you could.You tried.Its so sad that some vets charge so much for wildlife help.