PDA

View Full Version : My six week olds are making funny noises

lizharrell1
08-25-2009, 12:59 PM
My 5 six weekers are making an running around their cage making an odd purring noise. I don't remember hearing any of my previous babies making any squirrely noises at this age. They don't appear to have any issues, no one has aspirated, nothing new has been added to their cage, and when I pull them out of the cage, they do not make the noise while I am holding them. Any ideas as to what this is? Today is the first time I have heard them do this. They were doing this as I was heating up their formula for a feeding and running back and forth in their cage. Were they just trying to tell me to hurry up and get on with lunch or is this just the beginnings of squirrel chattering. It really does sound like they are purring.:thinking :dono

wheezer
08-25-2009, 01:18 PM
At the moment I am scratching my head too trying to think if I have ever heard purring:thinking I just can't recall but I do think they are reacting to being hungry and knowing it is coming:) I know some babies have started chirping when hungry. I am pretty sure your little ones are OK.

Maybe others here will have had the same experience as you:tilt

lizharrell1
08-25-2009, 01:21 PM
I just don't recall hearing any of my other babies doing this. They don't seem ill in any way, no runny noses, or anything like that and certainly no clicking to suggest a pneumonia. Just this odd......purring sound. If you have ever heard the sound lions and tigers make, I believe it is called "chuffing", which for them, is purring. This sounds similar to that. I HAVE introduced banana and a tiny bit of apple with their cheerios they nibble on. I am clueless here.:thinking

island rehabber
08-25-2009, 02:06 PM
My gang make this constant, soft "rrrrr....rrrr!" sound when they hear me getting ready to feed them., It's like a murmur.....except for B'Linda who has now started making that snorty, piggy noise :rotfl.

lizharrell1
08-25-2009, 02:10 PM
My gang make this constant, soft "rrrrr....rrrr!" sound when they hear me getting ready to feed them., It's like a murmur.....except for B'Linda who has now started making that snorty, piggy noise :rotfl.
Whew!!! Glad to hear my five aren't the only ones!! My daughter heard it first and called me (I was on my way to pick up baby buns) and said, "something is wrong with one of the squirrels, it sounds like they are wheezing". So I rushed home and listened-thinking for sure something terrible was happening to my babies........and all I heard was a purring noise that they stopped as soon as I picked them up, and once everyone was fed, I haven't heard them making the noise since. So I think, they are just PIGS in squirrel clothing, vocal ones at that!!!:rotfl

SquirrelLove
08-25-2009, 04:26 PM
awww, that's cute. My babies grunt a lot, especially one in particular. He just talks and talks to me and grunts in different pitches when I talk back. Usually he grunts when he's done eating and playing with my pony tail. He likes to sleep in it lol!:crazy

scurry'smama
08-25-2009, 08:39 PM
LUNA IS ABOUT 4 WEEKS OLD AND MAKES A PURRING CHUFFING SOUND A LOT WHEN SHE IS HUNGRY AS i AM HOLDING HER GETTING THINGS READY. i HOLD HER UP TO EVERYONES EAR SO THEY CAN HAVE THE PRIVELEGE OF HEARING IT TOO!!!:jump
i CAN IMAGINE HOW NOISY SHE WILL BE WHEN HER EYES OPEN

lizharrell1
08-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Okay, now imagine that sound TIMES FIVE. I thought for a minute I had 5 asthmatic squirrels that were going to need rescue inhalers and nebulizer treatments!!!!!! Now I just know, that they were letting me know that I was "LATE" with their meal (I had gone to pick up baby bunnies). I have never heard squirrels this young make that sound. Sounded like my cat was in the room and was REALLY HAPPY and purring louder than ever!!! I learn something new every day!!! And just to prove their point, it is now feeding time and I have the formula warming in front of their cage and they are "purring" again.....kind of like bats warming up to hunt for the night!!!! Now that I know what it is, it is cute, but earlier............:rotfl

lizharrell1
08-25-2009, 09:10 PM
awww, that's cute. My babies grunt a lot, especially one in particular. He just talks and talks to me and grunts in different pitches when I talk back. Usually he grunts when he's done eating and playing with my pony tail. He likes to sleep in it lol!:crazy
Yeah, they grunt NOW.....give them a week or so......you too, may have happy purring babies letting YOU know dinner is late!!!!:D

BisqiMom
08-27-2009, 02:18 PM
My 5 week old "purrs" a lot, haha, I guess...especially when she knows I am about to pick her up. My bf described it perfectly one day when he said she sounded kinda like a cricket! hehe :jump

lizharrell1
08-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Glad to know everyone else has vocal squirrels too. My one boy, Max, will now do the purring thing for awhile while formula is warming, and today, I guess I was just taking TOO LONG FOR HIS LIKING and he actually BARKED at me. Yes, I said BARKED. Kind of like one sharp YIP like a puppy would do.:shakehead I got the message and fed him first......:jump