PDA

View Full Version : Mange??

vettech7
08-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Hi. I recently found a baby squirrel. He's about 5 weeks old now. At first he was doing great, but in the last 3 days he's begun to develop a skin problem. It started with his tail getting little bumps. Then his tail began to lose hair. Now he has hair loss on his face and feet. He's not scratching. Is this mange?? If so, what should I do for treatment? Thanks

merman
08-24-2009, 11:23 AM
I resized the pic for better view..

Any ideas ?

:wave123

gs1
08-24-2009, 11:26 AM
wow, i have no idea. Hopefully someone will be on soon.

:grouphug Very cute little fellow!!!:Love_Icon

vettech7
08-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks for resizing....I'm new to this. Hopefully someone can help me. I have raised tons of babies because I use to work at a vet, but I have never had any that had any problems. He's still very active and eating great. Thanks for any help you can give me :-)

NaturesGift
08-24-2009, 01:28 PM
mmm they look kinda wet to me.

Mange is caused by mites and normally you would see dry crusty bald patches.

Mange is also very itchy.

could you post a picture of more of his body so we can see how his tail looks and such?

what are you feeding? and what is he using for bedding?

TO be safe I would give him some new fresh bedding.

his ear looks a lil off to me. is there a bubble of some dort or swelling on the tip of his ear?
Mandie

PBluejay2
08-24-2009, 01:31 PM
Inspect his toes carefully. The third toe looks swollen (may be just the pic) but it may be the beginning stages of pox. Also, mites other than mange mights can "cluster" in an area and cause scabbing and sores.

NaturesGift
08-24-2009, 01:33 PM
PbJ I was concerned about that as well. His ear reminds me of Nutters ear. Prayerfully it is something else. Mange is so much better than pox. :nono

Pointy Tale
08-24-2009, 02:15 PM
:grouphug

vettech7
08-24-2009, 02:37 PM
I have looked at his body again and there is a bubble forming on his toe and leg. His ears also have a small bubble. I am feeding him Esbilac and his bedding is just a towel. I change the towel 2 times a day. Is this pox?? If so, how do you treat it?? Thanks

PBluejay2
08-24-2009, 04:53 PM
It's more than likey pox--unfortunately. I haven't had experience with it myself, and my books say supportive care is about all you can do, but I know others have treated pox with various medicines. Try searching the threads for "pox" or "squirrel pox" and/or "fibromatosis." Others should be on to help soon. Of great importance is to keep the baby away from other squirrels. It's extremely contagious, and EVERYTHING it comes into contact with needs to be washed down with bleach or thrown away.

Acyclovir seems to be the med used, but it's made for birds.

NaturesGift
08-24-2009, 05:05 PM

I am going through the same thing.

can you tell me where you are located in Fl I know of a couple members who can help you out ALOT! they are helping me. If you want you can PM it to me.

For now can you get your Baby on Baytril? (antibiodicsffrom vet) you should also get some metacam.

I would have been here sooner but I had to go pick up a possum. I have to run to work but I will be back but i am also going to get in touch with some of the other FL members so they can see this thread as well.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
08-24-2009, 05:11 PM
It looks to me like the baby has burns :dono. I don't think that he has mange. Pox possibly, but I think that most of the damage is some sort of burn. He looks like some of the bunnies I have gotten that came from fire pits.

NaturesGift
08-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Pox blisters resemble burns. My lil Mattie looks like he has wee shiny burn blisters everywhere.

vettech7
08-24-2009, 05:48 PM
I already started the baby on Baytril...I can probably get some Metacam from the vet I used to work for. Is this contagious to people or other animals other than squirrels?? I have been washing the towels daily.

Mads
08-24-2009, 06:44 PM
You may want to also try and suppliment put out by Solid Gold, it's called Sea Meal. Solid gold products are being sold in Petco now, and I fought pox with several squirrels using the sea meal. I would mix about 1/4 teas of the powder with almond butter on a spoon.

I started using sea meal years ago with my dog who was always having hot spots. We haven't had a hot spot now in close to 6 years...he's 8 years old. I do swear by this product.

vettech7
08-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Update on sick baby: He's still active, eating good, and doesn't like his picture taken. He has a new spot on the other front leg. The spots are only on his front legs and toes, and his head and tail. I have taken some new pictures of the rest of his spots.

vettech7
08-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Pictures

vettech7
08-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Sorry ...not sure how to make them smaller....still learning this whole thing :-)

Legomom
08-24-2009, 09:49 PM
I'll take care of it for you, but I'm going to put them on the other thread which flags our rehabbers. :grouphug

I use Dropshots.com for uploading & resizing pics. Check it out if you'd like. :grouphug