PDA

View Full Version : teeth

Shen
09-27-2006, 01:27 PM
im having trouble with encouraging my baby (about 9 wks old now) to gnaw down his teeth, they are getting long and sharp and just dont look ok to me. I provide him with treebranches and some antler/bone pieces and even a rock as a last resort but he doesnt seem to want to gnaw when hes on his own in the cage. When i hold him he will gnaw what Im holding, or alternately my finger (ow) but it just doesnt seem to be enough to save his mouth

HELP! =/

Sheila

Secret Squirrel
09-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Nuts in shell are a good choice because they get to gnaw for proper tooth errosion PLUS they get a treat too!! Brazil nuts are a good nut for them work chew on and Walnuts too.
What do you mean when you said "save his mouth"?? Are his teeth growing into his gums or nose?

Have you actually looked at his teeth....do they align? Squirrels and bunnys can get malaclusions. If that's the case then the teeth can be trimmed regulary. Not an easy thing to do with a wiggly squirrel..right!
Can you take a photo of his teeth and post so more members can see what you are up against...thanks and good luck.

Shen
09-27-2006, 02:58 PM
yeah, he is wiggly but i can hold him enough to get his mouth open, it looks like his bottom teeth have displaced the top ones a bit, no bleeding or openings in the gums but it seems like the top gum and teeth have grown to the side to accomodate his big bottom teeth, they do probably need a trim desperately.
I've been a bad mum =(
Who would be able to trim his teeth for me? I dont think a vet is an option in western mass he's fairly illegal.

Any rehabbers near northampton, ma out there?

Secret Squirrel
09-27-2006, 03:31 PM
You can trim them yourself but you will need another set of hands to do it. Are you willing to trim his teeth?
You can use small wire cutters, or a nail clipper for dogs. If you want someone to help you ...talk you through it....a member by the name of susanw trims her squirrels every month.
Go to the introduce yourself forum...and in the "Hi everyone" thread is where you read up on this topic....it just started today...so you are in luck!!

Shen
09-27-2006, 04:31 PM
awesome, yeah, im going to give clipping them myself a try (I'm an RN i ought to be able to handle it) I just went to the squirrel store thing and bought some little clippers that were recommended for this purpose, so hopefully I'll work up the courage while theyre in the mail and take care of it when they get here in a couple days, thanks for the input!

squirrelfriend
09-27-2006, 08:26 PM
use a hand towel and make a squirrel burrito (squirrelito). It makes it way easier!

squirrelfriend
09-27-2006, 08:27 PM
just be carefull not to trim them too much.