PDA

View Full Version : how much ivermectin?

genee'smom
08-05-2009, 10:19 PM
my 5 year old squirrel has mange . he got 1 ivermectin injection from vet . how much more and at what interval?

PBluejay2
08-06-2009, 12:44 AM
my 5 year old squirrel has mange . he got 1 ivermectin injection from vet . how much more and at what interval?

I hope your vet knows what he or she is doing, but anyway, Ivermectin treatment is usually just two doses about 14 days apart.

prncsbabs1
08-06-2009, 09:00 AM
I am not a rehabber but was instructed by one to use the following doesage. I gave my squirrel .01cc given once a week for three weeks. It is a very small amount but it worked. I mixed it with crushed cherrio's and peanut butter.....my squirrel loved it and I started to see results with in the first few days. Good Luck!!

Buddy'sMom
08-06-2009, 09:27 AM
NOTE PLEASE: The "dosage" volume depends on the CONCENTRATION of the starting med!!! Overdoses of ivermectin are very dangerous!!! You MUST know what you are starting with in order to make sense of any volume of dose!!!

prncsbabs1, that looks like a small amount and this caution was not necessarily aimed at you -- you may be doing the exact right thing. But we have seen very tragic results of mistaken dosing with ivermectin, due to not starting out with a sufficiently dilute med. Do not want that to happen to another squirrel, ever.

In many instances, there are safer meds that can be used. If ivermectin is used, it must be with extreme caution and with certainty that you have the correct dose.

:peace :peace
:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
08-06-2009, 07:36 PM
I would be EXTREMELY careful when dosing any squirrel with ivermectin. The safest (although still dangerous if inexperienced) way is to put ONE DROP no more than that, on the skin on the back of the neck.