PDA

View Full Version : Am I doing this feeding thing right?

heidiann
09-26-2006, 12:03 PM
I have started them on the esbilac. I used a bottle to feed them. I was shocked by how well they took it and thrilled. Reminded me of the warm heart I used to feel while nursing mu own children. What an honor it is to be caring for these precious creatures. I am officially nuts now. I LOVE SQUIRRELS. I didn't know just how much until now. I'm taking Ghost's advice and feeding them the milk 3 x day as mich as they'll drink till they refuse. I put kale and carrots the occaisional apple core and de-husked acorns in there for food. They seem to love the acorns the most. I don't exactly know what to do about water. I put a (rabbit type)feeding bottle up and held each of their mouths to it so they'd know it was there but I haven't actually witnessed them using it. Should I put a dish instead or will they come around? Is bottle feeding the proper way of delivering the esbilac at this point?:dono . Are the acorns ok or should I be giving them nuts? Sorry about all the questions. I'm such a newbie. Thanks Heidi

island rehabber
09-26-2006, 12:50 PM
......is bottle feeding the proper way of delivering the esbilac at this point?:dono . Are the acorns ok or should I be giving them nuts? Sorry about all the questions. I'm such a newbie. Thanks Heidi

Heidiann I love your enthusiasm -- but the answer to the first question is "never". You should never use a bottle to feed a squirrel -- it's too easy for them to suck formula into their lungs and develop what's called aspirational pneumonia, which is deadly. You should get yourself some 1cc and 3cc syringes -- no needle -- and some nipple attachments (I like the Four Paws Elongated type that Chris sells) and use those. Acorns are great and nuts can be given occasionally as a treat -- with the exception of raw almonds which I give babies as their first nut, once their eyes open, and I give them some every day although they don't finish them. Good work -- keep doing what you're doing but get the syringes. :):peace

heidiann
09-26-2006, 01:21 PM
Oh my gosh. Good thing I asked that question. Thanks. I hope it's not too late for my little guys. I should have asked sooner. I have an irrigating syringe that has a curved tip that I got from my dentist after a wisdom tooth extraction. I think I can put a nipple on it. If you don't think that's a good idea let me know.:thankyou Heidi

island rehabber
09-26-2006, 01:34 PM
I don't think you can attach a nipple to one of those, although the curved tip syringe is actually used by some rehabbers with great success......I would use that until you can get some 1cc and 3cc syringes. Anything rather than the bottle. :)

heidiann
09-26-2006, 02:00 PM
will do, by the way, do I push the liquid in or let them suck it out?

island rehabber
09-26-2006, 02:25 PM
will do, by the way, do I push the liquid in or let them suck it out?

I use the Leuer locking syringes, so I push very very gently, letting the squirrel set the pace. They each have their own rhythm and it's best to go as slowly as you can in the beginning. Even if it annoys the squirrel, it's way better than pushing too hard and letting formula shoot into his lungs. After a couple of feedings this way you will get into the groove of each squirrel's way of eating...if you only have one, it's much easier! :)

thundersquirrel
09-26-2006, 04:22 PM
just to add, they can aspirate a lot when they're new to the whole nipple/syringe thing. you can usually tell that they aspirate if they sneeze, shake their head, formula comes out of their nose, etc.. i'm telling you because i have some squirrels who are so crazy about formula they'll try to keep eating even though they aspirated! it's up to us to catch it.

usually i'll take the nipple away and wipe their faces off- not much of a point to it, but it kinda conditions them because they don't like getting their faces wiped. i try to teach them to slow down.

at their age, i can expect you to back off to two feedings a day in a week or so. once solid food comes around, you should see a little less hunger for formula, and more eagerness to explore.

and as far as feeding them till they refuse.....lol nothing is funnier than a baby with a full belly, but they can get constipated if they eat too much. just make sure they keep pooping regularly. ;)

heidiann
09-26-2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks again. I'll miss the cute little bottle but I can't wait till feeding time. I have 4 to get used to but I'm loving it. I'll let you know how it goes.

heidiann
09-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Island Rehabber, The feeding went great with just the syringe and I felt I had a good idea on how much to push. I love it. Can't wait till next feeding. I appreciate your advice today. You helped me get my babies off to the right start. :peace Heidi

heidiann
09-26-2006, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the tips. I missed your post until now. I was writing while you posted. I just fed them with the syringe and it went great.:thumbsup No aspirating yet. They hold onto the syringe and are quite vigorous. I have to wipe their faces too. One of still hates me and even growls and bites me during feedings.lol Angry squirrels are the cutest.:rotfl I read a lot more about feeding in the info section, so I figured out I shouldn't be stuffing them silly. I kept feeling their bellies this time. By the way, they are already eating solids very well. Cracked acorns (boy wat a lot of work that is:shakehead ), plums, carrots,and today I added Kale.Any thoughts on the water situation?:dono Heidi

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-26-2006, 07:18 PM
I have only seen my squirrel drinking 1x from the water dish! I am glad to hear you got the syringe & yes Island is our rock around here, along with the other rehabbers she is irreplacable!
:thumbsup

heidiann
09-27-2006, 06:08 AM
Thanks, I guess I won't worry about water for now, but won't they need it after we stop the esbilac? Sorry I'm so confused about this.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-27-2006, 07:43 AM
oh sure they will need it, They are getting their fluids right now from the formula. I had never seen my first set of squirrles (until long after release) drinking water out of a pan I put out.
I was taking new water to change the old (about 90 degrees that day) and there she was perched on the side of the bowl drinking.
I thought I was seeing a mirage.
They may drink also & we dont see them, they are so quick! Just keep it available. You are doing the right thing!:)

heidiann
09-27-2006, 09:37 AM
Thanks again. My babies are so hyper today. Running around and wrestling.:wahoo They seem to be responding well to the formula and new foods. I can't seem to keep my hands out of their cage even though, nearly every finger on my hands has a puncture wound. They're hard to tell apart and if I mistakenly stroke my mean one Pooty instead of Nubs my docile one, I get a swift bloody bite. I hope he's not getting too used to the taste. lol I'm not trying to raise little vampires. Well I just wanted to share with you or whoever else cares. I must be driving everyone in my life nuts because I can't stop talking about my new babies so I'll try to do most of it here! Have a wonderful day.:crazy

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-27-2006, 11:29 AM
I must be driving everyone in my life nuts because I can't stop talking about my new babies
That's why we are here, like pround new parents bragging LOL,not everyone will want to know & being illegal in a lot of states you have to watch who you tell.
You mentioned about rabies ..its very rare for a squirrel to get rabies, You dont have anything to worry about. I am happy to hear they are feeling great on their new foods!:wahoo :peace

island rehabber
09-27-2006, 11:51 AM
Island Rehabber, The feeding went great with just the syringe and I felt I had a good idea on how much to push. I love it. Can't wait till next feeding. I appreciate your advice today. You helped me get my babies off to the right start. :peace Heidi

You are so very welcome -- sounds as if you're doing great, and you deserve a nice :wahoo(woohoo!) for being so quick to change your method for the benefit of your squirrellies. Sometimes people will argue "well why CAN'T I try it this way, it seems to be going fine....?" Yes, but long-time rehabbers have raised tens of thousands of squirrels THIS way. :thumbsup:)

Secret Squirrel
09-27-2006, 01:39 PM
You are so very welcome -- sounds as if you're doing great, and you deserve a nice :wahoo(woohoo!) for being so quick to change your method for the benefit of your squirrellies. Sometimes people will argue "well why CAN'T I try it this way, it seems to be going fine....?" Yes, but long-time rehabbers have raised tens of thousands of squirrels THIS way. :thumbsup:)

You just said a mouthful IR!!!!! People ask for advice, tips and general information....we give it....then they ignore it!! :shakehead
Oh well......we try our best...that's all we can do...right...?????

heidiann
09-27-2006, 04:00 PM
You mentioned about rabies ..its very rare for a squirrel to get rabies, You dont have anything to worry about.

That's good to hear. My signature about the rabies applies more to the other creatures I try to handle. I was a bit worried though. I got bit quite a bit during collecting them (mainly by my demon Pooty). I didn't have any notice so I had no gloves.

Af far as changing my feeding methods goes, I can understand some people being argumentative. The bottle is very cute. But I am willing to do what it takes to give them the best chance at a healthy life. I was reading a bit on the "all squirrels go to heaven" board and it hit home how fragile these creatures are and how devastating it can be to lose one. I feel for all of you who've experienced this. I've lost a few ducklings and ducks myself and took it pretty bad. Anyway, I appreciate and take to heart all the wonderful advice here. I wouldn't ask if I wasn't going to follow. My husband is very supportive of my efforts and he even hopes we get stuck with them for the winter! I've made a nature boy out of him. My kids, well they didn't have a chance. They're as crazy as me and loving it. It's nice to be able to talk with other crazy people. Actually, I think it's those who pass by these rare opportunities in life who are the crazy ones. We are really living!:grouphug Thanks everyone. I'll keep you posted. Heidi

heidiann
09-27-2006, 04:04 PM
And thanks for the :wahoo and:thumbsup IR. I need it. My accomplishments in my life may seem un-mentionworthy to some people but if I get this right and raise these babies, I'll feel like I won the nobel prize.

island rehabber
09-27-2006, 05:11 PM
.... Actually, I think it's those who pass by these rare opportunities in life who are the crazy ones. We are really living!:grouphug ......

You said it perfectly. Money comes and goes, love comes and goes, jobs come and go. Nature is always there and if that's the source of your happiness, you've got it made. :) = :Love_Icon:Squirrel

thundersquirrel
09-27-2006, 06:05 PM
that's a good point about the goodbye forum. and people say we're preventing nature from taking place....poo on them....twice. the don't know anything about the work we do.

you sound like you'd make a good rehabber, heidi. i mean a legal one. you should consider trying this out.....

it was surprisingly easy for me to work with squirrels. i didn't have to obtain a personal license (which takes about two years and a lot of time and work). instead i was trained by a non-profit local group "friends of wildlife" and that's because i work under superior rehabbers.

if you can find a group like that (maybe later on so they don't take your current babies away) i bet you could be under a blanket license like i am. you're an excellent candidate for that. ;)

have you tried blowing on your squirrels? usually if one nabs me i'll blow quickly in it's face, and it'll let go. that way you're scolding them but using a simulation (of wind) to do so. keeps things natural. :)

heidiann
09-27-2006, 07:29 PM
TS, Funny you should mention me looking into Rehabbing. I made a call to the stste wildlife department a couple days after finding this board. I had no idea there was even such a thing before but I want to find out how I can become legit now. I have come into situations like this before with other animals (well, not quite like this), but I'd like to keep on doing it and would love to take in more. I don't know how many suirrels-in-need I will stumble on in my life, so I'd love it if people could bring them to me. So I haven't gotten a call back from that department but my husband knows some people at the Boston Animal Recue League and is going to inquire for me on what it takes to get licensed. Thanks for the encouragement and the blowing in the face tip. Tomorrow I will try that and find some gloves to wear from now on. The first few scratches were funny but now my hands and wrists are a bloody mess after 6 days of handling them. I'm done being tough.:shakehead Have a good night. Heidi