PDA

View Full Version : Baby Squirrel cries

prncsbabs1
08-03-2009, 03:13 PM
Hi, I know everyone is busy with all their new babies but I have a quick question. Last year I found 3 babies after Mom did not return; I was alerted to their cries. I gave them to a rehabber who was able to save 2 of the 3. The 3rd one died from the fall from the tree; when I found him he was trying to climb back up. Today I heard the same familiar cries......so my question is do they cry for their Mom at times and I just happen to notice this today or could something have happened to this litters Mom and they are distressed?? I tried researching this questions but can't find the answer......so I turn to the Board....I have been trying to locate where I heard it but still can't find which tree it is coming from. Thanks. Barbara

PBluejay2
08-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Hi, I know everyone is busy with all their new babies but I have a quick question. Last year I found 3 babies after Mom did not return; I was alerted to their cries. I gave them to a rehabber who was able to save 2 of the 3. The 3rd one died from the fall from the tree; when I found him he was trying to climb back up. Today I heard the same familiar cries......so my question is do they cry for their Mom at times and I just happen to notice this today or could something have happened to this litters Mom and they are distressed?? I tried researching this questions but can't find the answer......so I turn to the Board....I have been trying to locate where I heard it but still can't find which tree it is coming from. Thanks. Barbara

As far as I know, babies only cry when in distress. It's not good for them to draw attention to themselves and location in the wild. Keep looking for them! They'll usually keep it up (with breaks) until either Mom returns or something less benevolent happens.

Buddy'sMom
08-03-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm not a rehabber and not aswering from actual knowledge, but it makes sense that they would, under some circumstances. When Mom is attentive, they should be fed often enough that they don't cry out -- she would not want them attracting attention to the nest. But we do know they cry out after they fall to the ground. And also that they start looking around after Mom has been missing for a couple/few days (and thereby leave the nest and fall ....).

So during those few days, it DOES make sense that they would start crying out for Mom. Poor things. If you can keep listening and looking for them, they probably do need help. They just might not appear for a day or more. If they are in a nest it may well be out of your reach (tho a rehabber we know did convince an electric or phone repairman to go up in his bucket to check out a nest :) (no babies found)).

Thank you for caring about them. In the meantime, make sure you have a box and fleece or tshirt, and the rehabber's phone number, so you are ready if you find them. And a heating pad or the makings for a rice buddy. :thumbsup

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

prncsbabs1
08-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Thanks for the info. I have everything on standby. I am still looking but they seemed to be quiet now. I had two squirrels feeding in the yard when they were crying one left and the crying stopped....can I be that lucky that they were just spoiled babies and wanted mom??? None the less, I am on the look out...Thanks

Nancy in New York
08-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi honey...I got your email before I came onto TSB so I answered you there. Seems like the same information that I gave to you in an email. These people are great and know their stuff... Good Luck Barbara.......

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
08-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Baby bunnies are squealers too, so you should keep your eyes out for baby bunnies too, unless you are sure it came from up in a tree.

I agree that if you hear a baby squealing and no signs of mom then they need help. I would give her a couple hours if they look healthy but if you have heard intermittent screaming for quite some time, then they need help. Keep looking for the little tykes.

Good luck and I hope you find the little sweeties.

prncsbabs1
08-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Still haven't heard anymore cries (definately a squirrel's cry)....it's been over 4 1/2 hours. All my yard babies were here this morning/afternoon eating, so I am REALLY hoping that the crying babies are just spoiled and wanted their Momma to come back (which I keep hoping she did). I did check all the areas where there are nests and even my neighbors area.....so I am hoping no "Mews are good news". Fingers crossed!!

prncsbabs1
08-03-2009, 06:25 PM
GREAT News....Mom is there!! Just spotted her lounging on a tree branch, she is fine. Thank god no orphans...just spoiled babies.
:jump Thank you everyone for all your information & help.
Barbara

PBluejay2
08-03-2009, 07:25 PM
GREAT News....Mom is there!! Just spotted her lounging on a tree branch, she is fine. Thank god no orphans...just spoiled babies.
:jump Thank you everyone for all your information & help.
Barbara

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4skwerlz
08-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Good news! :thumbsup It's so kind of you to watch out for your little friends.

prncsbabs1
08-03-2009, 07:31 PM
I don't know how some people can't love these special creatures.....I just am crazy for them, just wish we could protect them all.

Nancy in New York
08-03-2009, 08:34 PM
I don't know how some people can't love these special creatures.....I just am crazy for them, just wish we could protect them all.
You're the best!!!:grouphug

prncsbabs1
08-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Hi everyone......Just thought you guys would like to see the Momma of the spoiled babies....I named her Rachel. I listen and waited all day.....babies were behaving today and being quiet so Rachel took a break for food and water.

Cecil
08-04-2009, 08:05 PM
You go, Momma! :D

Buddy'sMom
08-05-2009, 01:43 PM
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Bugsie
08-05-2009, 01:49 PM
That cry is horrible...When I found a baby that had
just opened his eyes last year..I brought him in, he had
a leg deformity..ANYWAYs:poke He made that
horrible squeal..