PDA

View Full Version : BH having troubles

Preacher
09-26-2006, 07:06 AM
Morning,
I joined here back in aug, but haven't been on line in quite awhile. Anyway BH, an eastern grey that some members here know has been sickly for the past month. She is 2 & a half yrs old , crippled in her hips somewhat ( can walk, but only uses her front legs in climbing) Other than that she's always been healthy & happy. But now she has seizures, though the last one was a couple weeks ago, & she's losing weight. Her diet consists of various nuts fruits vegitables, & I go to the woods to keep her chewing sticks, bark, & such for her. She seem to have plenty of energy, still loves to scamper & play. Her skin seems to be "loose" on her instead of tight like usual. Oh, I keep a salt wheel for her & she gets plenty of sunshine. Am I concerned over nothing since the seizures seem to have gone away?

island rehabber
09-26-2006, 07:33 AM
Hi again, Preacher...welcome back. This really is a veterinary issue but it sounds as if BH has an imbalance of some kind which is causing the seizures and weakness in her limbs. Have you tried giving her calcium supplements? Lack of calcium can cause all kinds of problems in squirrels but can be remedied so easily! Also, why the salt wheel? I have never heard of this for squirrels and too much salt may upset the electrolyte balance in her system -- just a wild guess from me, not based on scientific fact. If her skin seemed loose she was dehydrated and/or underweight....has it tightened up again? If not, I would seriously consider a wildlife vet's opinion even though the seizures have stopped.

Preacher
09-26-2006, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the quick reply,
Guess I'll have to go to greensboro or somewhere to find some type of calcium supplement. We're in a small town & no one has any such stuff. She drinkks plenty of water, & I'll take the salt wheel out. She had lost quite a bit of weight, but has gained a little back. Since here in N.C. it's illegal for me to still have her not even a wildlife vet will talk to me except to tell me I'm breaking the law & need to have her put to sleep....simply cause she can't be released. Thanks Again...Preacher, & BH!!!

island rehabber
09-26-2006, 08:36 AM
Yikes!! We don't want that to happen.....OK Preacher, time to try Plan B. I will PM you later with some ideas.

Critter_Queen
09-26-2006, 09:35 AM
What do you mean by "sunshine"? If it's not REAL sunlight, (as in outdoors in the actual sun, not through a window) that is a problem. BH can't absorb calcium without the Vitamin D that is produced from sunlight exposure.

You can get a full-spectrum bulb from your hardware or Walmart store to make "fake" sunlight inside. But it HAS to say FULL SPECTRUM on it...not just "sunlight" or something...there is a difference.

I hope your little one gets better soon. Listen to whatever IR tells you to do...she's a guru. :thumbsup :bowdown

Preacher
09-26-2006, 03:34 PM
I take her outside every couple days to let her bury nuts. It's just that where we are now there are oodlin of cats around & I have a hard time. If she feel threatened she's on top of my shoulder in a flash, but I can't "rock" all of'em all the time. Bout 15 min at a time nowdays.
IR...I'll be waitin!!!!

Critter_Queen
09-26-2006, 04:02 PM
This could still be part of your problem...they really need at least 30 minutes of outside time every day in order to get enough sunlight to produce enough Vitamin D.

A really good full-spectrum bulb runs about $4-8 at Wal-Mart...I would put one in whatever fixture is nearest his cage. They are highly efficient, so leaving it on for a while each day shouldn't hurt the electric bill more than a couple bucks a month. I think mine is a replacement for a 60 watt bulb but it only uses 13.5 watts of electricity...or something like that....

And on a personal note, I find that I'm more upbeat and energetic with a full-spectrum bulb in one of my dining room light fixtures. (dining room is a central room you must go through to reach the rest of my house)

I'm sure IR will have many other suggestions as well!

Good luck!!

Preacher
09-26-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks Again....We'll get a bulb by friday & start "bathing" her in sunlight!!
I keep her cage by the window with the most sun, but didn't know that no help, though she does like to get on her stump & just lay in the light listening to classical music!!! No she don't like rock or country, though she does like a little soft rock once in awhile,....but mostly classical!!

Oh, & I'll try a couple for us too....been going thru a lot of "stuff" & mabey it'll pick us up too!!!

Preacher & BH!!

Critter_Queen
09-27-2006, 08:45 AM
I can so relate to going through "stuff"...I am pretty sure it's the bulbs making me feel peppier since nothing else seems to be going right this summer.

I hope the bulbs help some. Good luck!!

Preacher
09-27-2006, 05:28 PM
BH & my wittle wife Agee say Thanks. Agee fusses when BH bites her, though she never breaks the skin, but it does hurt, but she would never never put her in a stew pot like she threatens!!!
It's funny though when she tell BH that....she'll hang her little head down all pitiful, then Agee feels sooo bad!!!