PDA

View Full Version : baby squirrel vs.cat

cntryplsr
09-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Hi, I am new to this board as of this week. I am a rehabber in NC who usually does bunnies, but just started doing squirrels this year. I received a baby squirrel this morning that a cat had gotten hold of. He is approx 2 wks old. He has several small lacerations and one fairly big one on his head. I had read that Septra was the appropriate antibiotic to treat cat wounds, but I see on this site that Baytrill and SMZ work. I have talked to 4 vets today, but none could help me with septra. one vet did weigh the baby and he is 1/2 oz. HELP! I have no idea on what to give him, or dosage, or where to get antibiotics! I know without any he is sure to die, and may anyhow given his size, but I have to try (my daughter said so). he is eating and moving around.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-25-2006, 05:40 PM
I just read about Clavamox on another thread can you get that?
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242&highlight=clavamox found it here?
How is the little baby?

Do you mean the vet wont give you meds for the squirrel? What I would do in a case like that is call & ask for certain meds saying I had a cat that needed them?

island rehabber
09-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Hi -- if your baby weighs a half a ounce he is only 14.17 grams.... awfully small! If you want to PM me with the meds you are able to get - Baytril, Clav, whatever, I can help you with the dosages ASAP... I've got them for most of the widely used wildlife drugs.:peace