PDA

View Full Version : Making nest before release?

Nibbles mum
07-24-2009, 01:59 PM
We have a young squirrel which we have hand reared since May this year and we are now thinking about releasing her. The thing is, she shows no signs of making any sort of bed for herself. She has a box which she uses now, but will not take any leaves, twigs, paper or anything else into it for a bed. Is this OK? She has never shown any interest in making anything herself and if nothing is provided for her she will just lie in the bottom of her cage to sleep. I wondered if she would be ok in the wild not attempting to build any nest.

Pointy Tale
07-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Hi, I am not a rehabber, but it sounds like you're little one is being cared for so well that she doesn't want to leave. It is just my opinion, of course.

Nibbles mum
07-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the speedy reply Pointy Tale. I am maybe just worrying about her release as when I was out for a walk with my dog today a bird of prey dropped a half eaten squirrel almost right in front of me!!

My son's chipmunk drags all sorts into his box to make a bed, but Nibbles will put nothing in herself!

Pointy Tale
07-24-2009, 03:16 PM
I am sorry to read about the Bird of Prey and the loss of your yard buddy. I too have Birds of Prey and a family of foxes that killed too many to mention on this board.

Please wait for a rehabber, or an expert to advice you about the release, the protocols and that kind of thing, but in all honestly, no joking, I wonder, IMO, is your little one ready for release if they can't make their own bedding, how would they survive out there. Maybe they just need more time?

Don't rush it, please wait for expert advice.

longshotgamble
07-24-2009, 03:33 PM
I personally would not want to release any squirrel that wasn't building a nest. I know they are rodents and hearty little buggers, but I would feel better if they had that skill. I do put out a nesting box also, just as a back up; but I really have not seen where they have any use for it after release.
I would wait, even more so if the weather is turnning cold soon there.

Anne
07-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Nibbles Mum, I didn't see where you mentioned your baby's age. Age has a great deal to do with release. Nest building is an ingrained instinct in squirrels. They are tree dwellers and in captivity have no real need to build a nest. They are all ready out of the weather and secure. Chipmunks are under ground dwellers and line their nests with leaves,etc for insulation purposes. A tree squirrel needs to be between 5-7 months old before release, Release needs to be while there is still time for them to gather food and while the leaves on the trees are still green and pliable to be shaped into a nest. Also squirrels often have more than one nest.
I hope that this answers some of your questions.

Nibbles mum
07-25-2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the replies. Nibbles is about 4 months old, but would need released about now to have her settle before the winter (soon, in Scotland!) The weather is bad enough just now lol. When can you tell if a squirrel is ready for release? She has still got a strong bond with my husband and will sit for ages sprawled out with him. Just realised too, I didn't mention that Nibbles is a grey squirrel.

Pointy Tale
07-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the replies. Nibbles is about 4 months old, but would need released about now to have her settle before the winter (soon, in Scotland!) The weather is bad enough just now lol. When can you tell if a squirrel is ready for release? She has still got a strong bond with my husband and will sit for ages sprawled out with him. Just realised too, I didn't mention that Nibbles is a grey squirrel.
Nibbles mum—I realize you are on a timetable to release due to your winter season, but I want to pause for a moment to wonder if Nibbles is ready? I am not a rehabber, therefore do not know the “ready for release”. Perhaps, her choice is to stay with you? Please continue to wait for expert TSB advice from rehabbers. Thank you.

Nibbles mum
07-26-2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks Pointy Tale. I will keep a hold of her until I get more advice or until she seems more ready. We have had her since she was 4-5 weeks old and would hate to do the wrong thing now. We had always planned to release her but right now she seems a bit of a softy and in no way like a "wild" squirrel. I just feel a bit pressured with winter not too far away. And in all honesty, she seems quite happy where she is lol.

pamela lee
07-26-2009, 08:22 AM
HI there Nibbles Mum, She's old enough to be placed outside in a large release cage. She'll become far more squirrely if she can see and hear all the nature around her. Also you can make her a nest box for in the release cage and give her bedding that she can fill it with. That way when it is time to let her out you can hang the box close to the cage and she'll have a warm cozy, ready made place to call her own. Good Luck.

Mads
07-26-2009, 10:41 PM
Hi,
I also would put her outside in a outside larger cage. I put a nesting box in the outside cage to start with only a small peice of fleece, and then they redesign the box to their own liking. I released 4 babies in June. They are all still in their box. I suspect they'll stay there until late fall anyway.
I have released two sets of babies in my yard. Both releases I have put them in their nest box, and then I cover the hole and place the nest box high in a tree, then I take the wire off their hole and from there they figure it out. Here's the link to the Quads release if your interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCWmFV3DBYo&feature=channel_page