PDA

View Full Version : Lice/Fleas?

Liza
09-25-2006, 02:32 PM
My new babies seem to have a few friends(?) along for the ride... little tiny, dark buggies.. they move very fast through the hair. I haven't seen them jump, and I thought that fleas jumped? and they don't look like the "lice" that children occasionally get from other children..they are dark colored, and look almost like miniscule fruit-flies, but crawling not flying. . Are these common? I plan to buy some pest powder made for kittens that I saw at the pet store.. Do y'all think this would be acceptable? I love squirrels, but I HATE bugs.. the thought of them in my house just makes me ITCH all over!!!!!!!

ANyone have any suggestions? :dono

Thanks-

Liza

Critter_Queen
09-25-2006, 02:48 PM
Kitten flea powder is fine to use on a squirrel that age. Here is a good link for info on flea treatments for squirrels:http://www.squirrelsandmore.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=feature.display&feature_id=166 The flea info is about halfway down the page.

The fleas that came on my last batch were brown, didn't jump, but on close inspection of a squished one (:D ) they were definitely fleas.

Word of caution, I used the flea powder on my squirrels, and instead of killing all the fleas, the fleas transferred to my DOGS! And the wal-mart flea stuff for dogs doesn't work on these fleas...I had to by K9 Advantix for my dogs (3 dogs x $11 a pop) in order to get rid of those kinda fleas.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-25-2006, 03:22 PM
I used dawn blue dish detergent that worked great, the thought of flea powder dust going in their lungs didnt sit well with me. Maybe becuase I have asthma anyway, and anything dust is out?
I hope you get it covered. Also if they have lice the dawn will kill it.
I gave mine a bath in clear water after rubbing the dawn between my fingers then rubbing down the squirrel, so they were slightly slick.
Even had to do poor Preston when he was a pinky/purple.:dono