PDA

View Full Version : Bird question

Secret Squirrel
07-18-2009, 08:47 AM
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif Air sac rupture through skin
Not sue if anyone has had a bird with an air sac rupture. I am looking for a picture of it.
I got a bird call today, I don't usually handle birds but I did a pick-up on a young mockingbird with a "growth" on it's wing. This was the finders interputation on the phone. The finder was given the bird by a neighborhood kid....no history on the cause of injury.

What I saw was a dark grey "growth" about the size of a large grape right around where our clavical would be...but on the bird. It was plump, sort of shiney with a small amount of yellow "stuff" on it. Soft but firm to the touch.

I first thought that this is it's "insides" coming out of a puncture wound and it didn't look promising. I know nothing about birds.

I called our bird rehaber, but didn't get her. I then called the center and they told me to get the bird to the vet, so I did.
I vet couldn't see the bird...because of regular customers...so I left the bird and told them to call me. ( I was working on my regular job when I got the rescue call)

The vet said it was a tumor and that they euthanized the bird. Plus the bird was pretty mite infested/dehydrated.
I spent all day looking at tumor pictures, pox pictures, cancer pictures on the web but nothing comes close to what I witnessed today.

Sorry this is long......
I finally got the bird rehaber and she said it sounded like the birds air sac that protruded though a wound /cut. Since she didn't get a chance to see the bird....all I have is the picture emblazed in my mind.

I feel terriable that I couldn't get throught to our bird lady, and angry at me for taking it to the vet....I shoulda, coulda, woulda!!!!
So that's were I need you.....does anyone have a picture of what I am trying to describe.
The yellow "stuff" I saw on the sac could be fat from the bird...at least that is what our bird lady thought.

Any help would be greatly aprishiated.:thankyou

SQUIRRELMOM
07-18-2009, 09:23 AM
could be a air sac, just leave it it will go down. i wouldn't lance it. we have treated birds with a drop of amoxicillan childrens kind mixed with formula. it won't hurt, just a little pinch mixed in the formula. 3 days max. once a day

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/images/icons/icon1.gif Air sac rupture through skin
Not sue if anyone has had a bird with an air sac rupture. I am looking for a picture of it.
I got a bird call today, I don't usually handle birds but I did a pick-up on a young mockingbird with a "growth" on it's wing. This was the finders interputation on the phone. The finder was given the bird by a neighborhood kid....no history on the cause of injury.

What I saw was a dark grey "growth" about the size of a large grape right around where our clavical would be...but on the bird. It was plump, sort of shiney with a small amount of yellow "stuff" on it. Soft but firm to the touch.

I first thought that this is it's "insides" coming out of a puncture wound and it didn't look promising. I know nothing about birds.

I called our bird rehaber, but didn't get her. I then called the center and they told me to get the bird to the vet, so I did.
I vet couldn't see the bird...because of regular customers...so I left the bird and told them to call me. ( I was working on my regular job when I got the rescue call)

The vet said it was a tumor and that they euthanized the bird. Plus the bird was pretty mite infested/dehydrated.
I spent all day looking at tumor pictures, pox pictures, cancer pictures on the web but nothing comes close to what I witnessed today.

Sorry this is long......
I finally got the bird rehaber and she said it sounded like the birds air sac that protruded though a wound /cut. Since she didn't get a chance to see the bird....all I have is the picture emblazed in my mind.

I feel terriable that I couldn't get throught to our bird lady, and angry at me for taking it to the vet....I shoulda, coulda, woulda!!!!
So that's were I need you.....does anyone have a picture of what I am trying to describe.
The yellow "stuff" I saw on the sac could be fat from the bird...at least that is what our bird lady thought.

Any help would be greatly aprishiated.:thankyou

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
07-18-2009, 10:07 AM
They have gotten birds with air sac ruptures at the wildlife center where I volunteer, they give antibiotics and let it heal on its own.

Sorry your vet euthanized him. Shouldn't he have called you first? I would be soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo mad if I took an animal to the vets and dropped it off and they called and said they euthanized it. If they called and said that is what they recommend and I agree, that is one thing, but just doing it and then telling you later... I would be MAD.

longshotgamble
07-18-2009, 05:14 PM
Aw, I am so sorry my friend. I wish....well you know. I have got another contact for birds now, in addition to the one with KOW.
Big hug and thanks for trying to help this little one.

Secret Squirrel
07-18-2009, 06:44 PM
They have gotten birds with air sac ruptures at the wildlife center where I volunteer, they give antibiotics and let it heal on its own.

Sorry your vet euthanized him. Shouldn't he have called you first? I would be soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo mad if I took an animal to the vets and dropped it off and they called and said they euthanized it. If they called and said that is what they recommend and I agree, that is one thing, but just doing it and then telling you later... I would be MAD.

Squirrelmom...thank you....I have found this to be true.

SR&B2,
Mad....hell yeah :pissed ....angery is more like it. This isn't the first episode I have had with this vet...I am talking NEGATIVE history...man!!!!!! They are EUTHANASIA KINGS over there...let me tell ya!!!
This is NOT my regular wildlife vet...I was in a pinch....but never again. Got my blood boiling and I let loose on them to a point......they do sell me meds to help get my squirrels well, so I have to play nice....suckup, comes to mind, but I will have to cope with this outcome and move on. :smoken

LSG,
Thank you I will have to get that info from you.....our regular bird expert is in bad health and no longer taking birds. But she is willing to teach and on call 24/7....just so you know. I'll call you chica!! Love ya!!!

From what I have found....this may have been a interclavical air sac(SPELLING?) that was protruding through a wound. Those can heal up so I have been told by several people. I would still like to see a photo if anyone has one or knows a better site for me to investigate....since I am Secret Squirrel for crying out loud....my snooping skills are slipping.

Big THANK YOU to Victor :thankyou our bird man of TSB...pigons are his specialty. He supplied me with a few links...thanks again Vic !!!:grouphug

Victor
07-25-2009, 12:59 AM
You are very welcome. I only wish something could have been done. Unfortunately, after I mailed her some links, she regretfully told me the vet euthanized the mockingbird. This is something many non-avian vets will do unfortunately. I was looking for pictures the Pigeon Talk site and found one of a nasty ruptured air sac that Terry our administrator answered to to. This is one of Terry's pictures of the poor little bird. I will continue looking for one of a clavical nature when time allows.