PDA

View Full Version : Flyer release question

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
07-08-2009, 05:29 AM
My flyers that I got in April are finally ready to go free :wahoo (they are Tiffany's 2 sisters and a friend I got from the wildlife center). They have been in the outside cage for a little over a month, they are wild, fast, great climbers, eating on their own, nocturnal, all that. I do have a question though: is it normal for them to avoid the ground? My last flyers were not comfortable running around on the ground, but would go down to pick up nuts, etc. These guys won't go down, even to eat their yogurt, which is their favorite!

I think their fear of the ground may be because they have shared their cage with cottontails up until this past Sunday. Bunnies can be very mean to anything that comes into their "territory". I often put bunnies and songbirds in the same cage and have seen them run at and try to bite birds that are sitting on the ground. So, I am not sure if they had a bad encounter with the bunnies in the cage and that is their issue, or if they are afraid of the ground, or if it is just that they haven't discovered the food down there since I put their food dish up on the shelf like normal (so maybe they think I haven't given them yogurt :dono ).

So, do you think I should go ahead and release them and they don't need to go on the ground, or will learn to go on the ground when looking for food, or do you think I need to keep them until they are eating off the floor of the cage?

Every morning I see them running all over the shelf, climbing the sticks, jumping and gliding. They are very quick and wild. I would hate to release them and them not find food because they are afraid of the ground though. I don't know what to do.

Jackie in Tampa
07-08-2009, 06:11 AM
I have 10...and I do not see the on the ground.
I am not sure why, or if normal, but they don't:dono

muffinsquirrel
07-08-2009, 11:14 AM
They don't spend much time on the ground, that's for sure. They will go down to the ground in the large cages - we keep lots of hay on the floor for the guinea pigs - and bury a nut occasionally. Indoors, I have a few that will run around on the floor, but they prefer to stay up high and jump or glide from place to place. As long as they can open nuts, and glide, you shouldn't have any problems about releasing them.

muffinsquirrel

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
07-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Great, thanks guys. They are gliding well and opening nuts. The floor thing was the only issue. It is a big walk in cage (6' by 7' by 6-8' (roof slopes) high) and the last group didn't avoid the ground, of course they didn't live with bunnies either.

I am going to release them this evening :wahooin the same location as the guys I released in the spring (Scooter and Eleanor). I will put lots of nuts in their nestbox with them in case it takes them a couple days to get over their fear of the ground.

Wish me luck! :tilt

Fireweed
07-08-2009, 03:09 PM
Luck! :)

But I bet these guys are all set to go because of the good and hard work you've done getting them ready!! All the best tonight, SR&BT! Glide free, little flyers!

Legomom
07-08-2009, 03:27 PM
:grouphug Wish them well for me, SRB2! You done good once again! :thumbsup

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
07-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks. They are now free :wahoo. These guys were definetely a challenge. At one point I didn't think any would make it, but now they are big, happy, healthy and running/gliding free :jump. Gotta get out and get the cage cleaned and move the grey squirrels out there. They are already 14-15 weeks old. There has been a traffic jam with the outside cages, they always seem to be full :tilt.

Buddy'sMom
07-09-2009, 09:10 PM
:wott :wott :wott :wott :dono :dono

I know they are loving the REAL TREES!! :multi :multi :multi :multi

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug