PDA

View Full Version : Releasing a Squirrel with MBD?

Surria
07-03-2009, 01:32 PM
I have taken Gidget's cage outside today. I wanted to get her some sun and fresh air. However, I truly believe that she would be happy climbing up a tree.

Is it possible to get Gidget's calcium levels high enough to release her?

I suppose I'm just trying to figure out the best way to keep my little girl happy, healthy AND safe. From what I can see, she can climb in her cage well enough but she favors her back legs. And while she doesn't like us to cuddle her so much, she loves the stratches when she is on her own feet. I just don't see any real fear of people or animals. However, loud sounds startled her.

... I'm just at a loss as to what is best. :dono

PBluejay2
07-03-2009, 02:06 PM
I have taken Gidget's cage outside today. I wanted to get her some sun and fresh air. However, I truly believe that she would be happy climbing up a tree.

Is it possible to get Gidget's calcium levels high enough to release her?

I suppose I'm just trying to figure out the best way to keep my little girl happy, healthy AND safe. From what I can see, she can climb in her cage well enough but she favors her back legs. And while she doesn't like us to cuddle her so much, she loves the stratches when she is on her own feet. I just don't see any real fear of people or animals. However, loud sounds startled her.

... I'm just at a loss as to what is best. :dono

You need to get her as healthy as possible before you consider release, and it doesn't sound like she's ready. If she has no fear of humans (and by "animals" I hope you don't mean you're letting her become accustomed to house pets), this is another good indicator that she shouldn't be released. If you're wanting to release her in the future, you should limit contact to ONE person in the household, pull back on the "lovins," keep following the protocol for MBD--and then she still might not be a good candidate for release. I mean no offense here, but you probably should consider giving her to a rehabber who's had experience in such matters.

susanw
07-03-2009, 03:08 PM
How old is Gidget?

Feeze
07-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Hello Surria, and welcome from WA.:wave123

When you say that she favors her back legs, what do you mean? She is able to climb alright I gather, but how high/far can she jump? Can she jump? I understand as her caretaker, you feel a bond with her and want to see her happy and healthy. We wish the same.:grouphug

When you say that you would like to release her, what is it that has lead you to this? I don't mean to alarm you, but I agree with PBluejay2, it does sound as though she has not been prepared for the big bad world out there.

I am most concerned for her health right now. Do you suspect that she may have MBD? If this is the cause for her suspected lameness, you may want to consider handing her over to a wildlife rehabilitator. I do have a friend that I would love to contact for you, should you feel the need. Otherwise, if it is MBD, you are in for a long and stressful road to recovery.:grouphug

Legomom
07-03-2009, 07:19 PM
I don't know if it's possible to release a squirrel once it's recovered from MBD. :dono My guess is that it depends on how well the squirrel recovers. I do know that it will be some time before her levels are 'normal', but without a vet to confirm, how do you know when the levels are in the 'normal' range? I would suggest that you take Feeze up on her contact offer. OR, resolve yourself to possibly having a pet squirrel in an illegal state....not that it's unheard of, but it would be difficult to get treatment should some other health issue arise. Just my .02. :peace

Surria
07-03-2009, 09:25 PM
You need to get her as healthy as possible before you consider release, and it doesn't sound like she's ready. If she has no fear of humans (and by "animals" I hope you don't mean you're letting her become accustomed to house pets), this is another good indicator that she shouldn't be released. If you're wanting to release her in the future, you should limit contact to ONE person in the household, pull back on the "lovins," keep following the protocol for MBD--and then she still might not be a good candidate for release. I mean no offense here, but you probably should consider giving her to a rehabber who's had experience in such matters.

No offense taken!

I am not letting Gidget become accustomed to house pets. However, I do have a cat that rules the roost. There was one time when Gidget was out and about that they saw one another. I had locked the cat in the bathroom and when my boyfriend came home, he unknowingly let the cat out. When the cat came sniffing around, Gidget and Amber (the cat) had a face to face. The cat was disinterested and Gidget was not alarmed at all. We do know for a fact that the man who had Gidget before also had a cat...

We are still following the protocol for MBD and she's doing much better!

I guess my question is more about if Gidget can ever be released or if she is a pet. I am very happy to keep her and care for her. We have a vet lined up even in this illegal state and will give her the very best care. However, if she CAN be released in the future, I am willing to look into that option as well.

Surria
07-03-2009, 09:27 PM
How old is Gidget?
We believe Gidget to be about 4 months old.

Surria
07-03-2009, 09:35 PM
When you say that she favors her back legs, what do you mean? She is able to climb alright I gather, but how high/far can she jump? Can she jump?
She will jump up to things but she won't jump down. I would say she jumps about... a foot, maybe.

When you say that you would like to release her, what is it that has lead you to this? I don't mean to alarm you, but I agree with PBluejay2, it does sound as though she has not been prepared for the big bad world out there.
I am not alarmed at all. Gidget most certainly has not been prepared for the world at large, that is why this is so difficult for me. See, I don't WANT to release her. I just want to do what is best and since this is the first squirrel to ever fall in my lap, I really don't know what is best. I already love her with my whole heart and that is why, if it is best for her, I would let her go. I hope that makes sense.

I am most concerned for her health right now. Do you suspect that she may have MBD? If this is the cause for her suspected lameness, you may want to consider handing her over to a wildlife rehabilitator. I do have a friend that I would love to contact for you, should you feel the need. Otherwise, if it is MBD, you are in for a long and stressful road to recovery.:grouphug
I do suspect she has MBD. We have altered her diet and are awaiting an order of HHB. She has been taking calcium. And if you know someone in WA that would at least be a contact, that would be lovely. Because we have been having a hard time finding someone to talk to about Gidget... The only problem is, I want to talk to someone that doesn't have a vested opinion. I mean, of the few rehabilitators that I have talked to, they have all said to hand her over so that she can be released. And people that keep squirrels as pets seem to want me to keep her as a pet. I just need an unbiased opinion or two so that I may make an educated decision about my little girl's future.

Surria
07-03-2009, 09:37 PM
I don't know if it's possible to release a squirrel once it's recovered from MBD. :dono My guess is that it depends on how well the squirrel recovers. I do know that it will be some time before her levels are 'normal', but without a vet to confirm, how do you know when the levels are in the 'normal' range? I would suggest that you take Feeze up on her contact offer. OR, resolve yourself to possibly having a pet squirrel in an illegal state....not that it's unheard of, but it would be difficult to get treatment should some other health issue arise. Just my .02. :peace
Well, you already know that I am fully prepared to keep Gidget. :D But the good news is that we have found a vet that will help!

PBluejay2
07-03-2009, 10:13 PM
I already love her with my whole heart and that is why, if it is best for her, I would let her go. I hope that makes sense.

Of course you love her! God, how these little creatures can steal your heart away! One of the most difficult things about rehabbing these wonderful beings is letting them be what they were meant to be. I have had many "favorites" whom it literally broke my heart to let venture out in the world on their own, babies I raised from little pink things no larger than a peanut. But I know that letting them fulfill their natural destiny, if at all possible, was/is what's best for them. BUT I tried/try as best as I could/can to make sure they have every advantage when they finally are released--healthy, aware, independent, even afraid. I encourage you to read/reread the thread by Rudyspappa and listen to the anguish he went through trying to make a similar decision. Ultimately, he loved his baby enough to do what was best for it and not himself.

I just need an unbiased opinion or two so that I may make an educated decision about my little girl's future.

Well, though we may differ somewhat on our opinions on some things, I think you've come to the right place--if you listen to those who have raised/rehabbed many squirrels and not just one or two.

Feeze
07-03-2009, 11:25 PM
I understand your concern about release vs non-release. I honestly can't tell you what is best for your squirrel. I'll email my contact for you, and see if you two can hook up and talk. Still, I think you are getting the best here on TSB.:thumbsup

I'm not an authority of any sort, but I think we should probably wait until Gidget's treatment is well under way to start talking release. I'm relieved to hear that you are willing to keep her if she ends up being non-releasable. Though most of all I'm amazed and excited to hear that you have a vet that will provide treatment for her.:thumbsup