PDA

View Full Version : Caches - Yes

ChipmunkLuver
06-29-2009, 08:08 PM
I've noticed that most of the general chipmunk information I get from the books** I buy and from this board is usually in agreement. But I noticed one thing stood out - here on the forum you are told not to allow your critters to build up caches for reasons of weight/health. But, every book I've read that makes a note says to allow caches to be built for reasons of security & trust.

They write that removing them removes your animal's confidence in you and removes the nature "security blanket" that lets them regulate eating as they require (more in winter, etc). I quote from the last book**:
"As a chipmunk hoards food, you do not have to feed it every day. You need to allow the animal to build up stocks, though, and don't throw the food out when cleaning their cage."
"All chipmunks, including the Asiatic Ground Squirrel, are true hoarders..... Especially when winter approaches.."

So why do books say it's a natural reflex - allow it, and the forum says it's unhealthy so remove them?? That's the only discrepancy I've ever noticed!

**The Books I mentioned are four books about owning Chipmunks as pets (both inside & outside). Two are from Chris Henwood, one is more for kiddlets by Belinda something.. They were both sent from England. The last was bought from Amazon.com and is a 2005 book from About Pets about Chipmunks.

island rehabber
06-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Chipmunks and other ground squirrels hibernate....their need to cache is hard-wired into their brains because it ensures their survival thru the long, cold winter. Arboreal (tree) squirrels do not hibernate but they do fiercely protect their caches of nuts when in the wild. Unfortunately for those who keep squirrels as pets or who have non-releasable squirrels in rehabilitation, this instinct causes aggression when the human interferes with the caching. That's why TSB advises those who share their homes with a squirrel to reduce the amount of nuts they are given and clean out any stashes around the house....it's not fun to get severely bitten when you go to sit in your favorite armchair because you didn't know someone's pecans were under the cushion. :D I'm not sure if that answers your question, but....

4skwerlz
06-29-2009, 08:50 PM
I agree that based on the info you've posted, it sounds like a chipmunk needs to have a cache.

Chipmunks are "cache hoarders" and most squirrels, including greys and foxers, are "scatter hoarders." Chipmunks build up one big cache of food in one place; like IR said, this ensures their survival through the winter months. Squirrels randomly cache food all over the place; they bury a peanut here, another one over there, and don't defend these caches long term. Once they've buried the nut and walked away and moved on to another task, another squirrel can dig up the nut and eat it without challenge. So any "ownership" of one particular cached nut is temporary at best.

This probably makes a big difference psychologically, so like you said, it sounds like a Chippie needs a cache to be happy.

The tendency of pet squirrels to become aggressive over the "pecan in the couch" seems to be rather particular to indoor squirrels. I'm just guessing, but it may have something to do with the fact that their human owner, by necessity, "interferes" with their food every day--deciding what they will get to eat and how much, and taking away that nasty piece of rotting fruit they found under the couch. :D In other words, we prolong the "mommy" role way past what would occur in the wild.

I do know that "food" can bring out the wild instincts in even the tamest pet squirrel. And if the squirrel owner allows the squirrel to control that issue, then watch out: you're going to end up with a wild, aggressive, biting squirrel. For those of us with NRs, this simply can't be allowed to happen. So we must remain "mommy" and control their food.

Anyhoo, sorry for the ramble.