PDA

View Full Version : MBD?

jessquirrel
06-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Hello- My squirrel- Pachu- is 1 year 8 months old.
I had him inside with intent to keep him as an inside squirrel until I noticed he was very anxious.
He has been an outside squirrel with food, water and 'doggydoor" on porch with no problem for 8 months. He came and went daily.

Noticed him not using the trees and did more walking on the ground from tree to tree as of late (a week).
I noticed he is not putting his right arm down. He is also squeaky when I touch his shoulders.
I brought him inside and set up his cage and bed.
I am thinking MBD?
He is drinking and eating, he does use his hands when he is eating or upset about being in the cage (still climbs).

I have given him TUMS, and crushed a calcium pill in his water bottle.

Does this sound like MBD?
Please advise.:thankyou

Jess

4skwerlz
06-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Hello- My squirrel- Pachu- is 1 year 8 months old.
I had him inside with intent to keep him as an inside squirrel until I noticed he was very anxious.
He has been an outside squirrel with food, water and 'doggydoor" on porch with no problem for 8 months. He came and went daily.

Noticed him not using the trees and did more walking on the ground from tree to tree as of late (a week).
I noticed he is not putting his right arm down. He is also squeaky when I touch his shoulders.
I brought him inside and set up his cage and bed.
I am thinking MBD?
He is drinking and eating, he does use his hands when he is eating or upset about being in the cage (still climbs).

I have given him TUMS, and crushed a calcium pill in his water bottle.

Does this sound like MBD?
Please advise.:thankyou

Jess

I'm not sure it's possible for an outside squirrel to get MBD. How long has he been outdoors? What are you feeding him?

pamela lee
06-28-2009, 05:29 PM
If he's been outside for 8 months then I'd be checking into something else. It sounds like he just has a sore shoulder. Maybe he fell.

island rehabber
06-28-2009, 05:58 PM
I agree; there are two things squirrels can only get from living with humans: bloat, and MBD. He's been eating wild foods for months, so unlikely it's MBD. He must have sprained his shoulder or arm.

jessquirrel
06-28-2009, 06:58 PM
I am relieved- I am going to keep him inside and see how he does.
I appreciate all of your responses.

Jess

FLUFFYTAILNUT
06-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Poor...thing..sounds like her...fell...and did some bruising..
Glad he has you..till he can get better...

Do you have an way to get a video of him..so we can see..how he maybe favoring..how he walks,moves and holds his food..?
Too, much to ask...?:D

Have a nice night..:wave123
FTN:wave123

jessquirrel
06-28-2009, 09:15 PM
Hi Fluffytailnut! I wish I could take video of him - but I do not have a video camera- I can only tell you that he hangs his paw limp at the wrist until he has to really grab or climb. I hate seeing him like this.

An odd thing just happened a little while ago- I brought him out of the cage to hold him and he obviously did not want to be held- and bit my thumb hard. So I know he is in a lot of pain right now.