PDA

View Full Version : Releasing an adult grey, could use advise

Equinox Rain
06-27-2009, 09:16 PM
My little friend Philbert has made it pretty clear that he is ready to try being a wild, heathen squirrel. I think that he is about 10 - 11 months old. He was given to me last winter by the family that had been caring for him. About a month ago he started biting me, viciously. We had always played actively and rough housed. He would chew on my fingers like a kitten. One day, out of nowhere he started drawing blood. After a couple of times he bloodied me every chance that he got. I have had him in an outdoor hutch with an A frame box at the moment. He has been there for about two weeks. I built the box to be weather proof and secure. My intent is to hang it in the large apple tree that the hutch is presently under, (about 10 feet from where he is now). I have just about hit the limit of my knowledge on the release topic. What should I be feeding him?, (we are in Portland OR). I assume that he needs to acclimate. He is presently getting HHB's, vegies and some nuts. Any cautions, advise, etc would be greatly appreciated.

PBluejay2
06-27-2009, 09:59 PM
My little friend Philbert has made it pretty clear that he is ready to try being a wild, heathen squirrel. I think that he is about 10 - 11 months old. He was given to me last winter by the family that had been caring for him. About a month ago he started biting me, viciously. We had always played actively and rough housed. He would chew on my fingers like a kitten. One day, out of nowhere he started drawing blood. After a couple of times he bloodied me every chance that he got. I have had him in an outdoor hutch with an A frame box at the moment. He has been there for about two weeks. I built the box to be weather proof and secure. My intent is to hang it in the large apple tree that the hutch is presently under, (about 10 feet from where he is now). I have just about hit the limit of my knowledge on the release topic. What should I be feeding him?, (we are in Portland OR). I assume that he needs to acclimate. He is presently getting HHB's, vegies and some nuts. Any cautions, advise, etc would be greatly appreciated.

If you've had him in an outdoor hutch for a while, he's probably fairly well acclimated to the outdoors--temps, sounds, sights, smells--and it also sounds like he's wilded up on you and is ready to go be a squirrel. I don't know the size or dimensions of your hutch, and if he's avoiding you, not jumping on you and attacking you without your trying to pet him or whatever (in other words, doesn't want anything to do with humans, even you!), I'd simply open up the hutch and let him go explore his new world and let him come and go as he pleases. Of course, you'll still want to provide him food for a while.

Equinox Rain
06-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Hello,
I took your advise and did as you suggested yesterday. It took Philbert a while to come out but a juvenile Foxer from the tree next door seemed to think that his pen looked too interesting to not investigate. Philbert chased him off and discovered, much to his amazement, that he was suddenly on top of the hutch. I was lucky enough to get the moment on a picture. Will post it asap. He explored around his hutch for about 30 minutes and then went over the back fence. He seemed to be just exploring but I wont rest until I see him again. Someone came in between dark and dawn and ate his dinner but I have no way of knowing it was him. I guess that I just have to trust the little guy to take care of himself. Easier said than done. I thought that letting go of Human kids was tough!

PBluejay2
06-29-2009, 05:41 PM
I guess that I just have to trust the little guy to take care of himself. Easier said than done. I thought that letting go of Human kids was tough!

Yeah--you got it! Don't get me wrong; I love my son dearly, but when he moved out, well . . ., but never a squirrel!

Pointy Tale
06-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Equinox Rain—any news of your friend Philbert today? Hoping all goes well.

Equinox Rain
07-01-2009, 01:59 AM
Unfortunately, no. Of course, I have only seen one squirrel since Sunday. The weather is about as good as it gets right now except for a strong breeze that shakes the trees. They all seem to be staying put. There is food and a lot of exploring to do. Also, for most of the last month I have been less his friend than his jailer and his hutch, less a home than a prison. I cant really blame him for not hanging around. Still, I sure would like to lay eyes on him. In my more rational moments I realize that he is probably fine and is just out chasing girls. Just the same, staring at the ceiling at three AM my imagination conjures up a lot of pretty grim possibilities. Yesterday I climbed up the apple tree and had a look around. He has a lot of places to go if need be. I guess that he will show up when he is good and ready. Meanwhile, old, fat men really shouldnt be climbing trees. It worries their wives. :) Thank you for your concern, I do appreciate it.

Fireweed
07-01-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm hoping you get a glimpse of Philbert soon (and before you fall out of an apple tree or some silly thing! :D ). But I bet he's doing just fine, having a great time exploring and being a squirrel. I understand that doesn't ease your mind and lighten your heart much when you've grown so close to him and can't help but worry about his safety. But I hope you know what a good thing it is you did---you gave Philbert his freedom to become the nut he truly is and has always wanted to be. :thankyou

Looking forward to the picture of His Great Escape! :poke

Equinox Rain
07-03-2009, 12:49 AM
This is literally the moment that Philbert became a wild squirrel again. I think that I saw him yesterday morning. He was in the neighbors tree and I fear that it may be wishful thinking on my part. With this weekend being the fourt and my neighborhood sounding like a combat zone, I will be surprised if anyone ventures out. Will keep the feeding box full and hope for the best. Someone is sure eating well.

Equinox Rain
07-03-2009, 12:59 PM
I finally saw the little hooligan. We have an area about 10 X 50 along the back of the house, fenced off for the rabbits to play in. I was in the shower looking out the window and he just strolled along the top of the fence. He stopped about 15 feet from me and I got a good look at him. He seems none the worse for wear and appears to be fine. I feel soooo much better!

:wahoo

Fireweed
07-03-2009, 01:13 PM
Oh, YAY!! That's such great news! :thumbsup I'm so happy for Philbert. You did a great job, Equinox! I bet now you can sleep peacefully at night, eh?! :D

That sighting is worth celebrating. Got any plans?! :wott

And nice picture! He's a handsome munchkin.

Let us know if you see him again!

Equinox Rain
07-16-2009, 02:34 PM
After a couple of weeks of high adventure, it seems that young Philbert has decided that home wasnt so bad after all. We didnt see a lot of him for a while but he seems to have moved back into his box to sleep and I see him almost every morning now in the food box. He about scared me to death the other evening. I usually put food in the box around sundown so that it will still be there in the morning and not be eaten by the birds. As I did so, I looked up and there he was with his head sticking out of the nest box. He seemed quite calm and was waiting patiently for me to finish so that he could see what was for dinner. He reminds me of a teenager that has just moved out. I keep expecting him to bring his laundry home. This seems to be working out pretty well. So much better than I had originally feared.

island rehabber
07-16-2009, 02:37 PM
:thumbsup he's got the best of both worlds, that boy. :D

Secret Squirrel
07-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Good release story for your boy Philbert. The hardest part is not knowing where they are and are they safe ? The squirrels are usually fine, it's just us humans that suffer......yep....once owed by squirrels, we are never the same.:D

Cecil
07-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Letting them go is so very, very hard but seeing them again healthy and happy in the wild is an awesome feeling.

Good job and I'm so happy for you both. :D

Equinox Rain
12-12-2009, 05:50 PM
A little follow up. Philbert is still hanging around. He has a little friend, I assume a little girl. We call her Tiny. She is smaller than he is and has been around here off and on for months. About a month ago I saw them on the same branch of the apple tree. I was afraid that they were going to fight and that someone would be hurt. Surprisingly, they started wrestling around like a couple of kittens and then went over to see what was in the feeder, ( I still put food out and plan to continue to.) She stays far away from me as does Philbert when I am outside. I am comforted that they have a healthy fear of humans. My thinking is that as long as they don't have to go too far for food and water, they are less likely to get into trouble. They are still using the nesting box sometimes but Tiny has a nest built higher up in the tree as well. Do squirrels typically stay paired up or are they normally solitary? I had believed the latter but these two seem to usually be together or at least nearby. It wouldnt be the first time that I was surprised. When do squirrels typically have babies and is there anything I can do to help them?

momma2boo
02-12-2010, 09:25 PM
A little follow up. Philbert is still hanging around. He has a little friend, I assume a little girl. We call her Tiny. She is smaller than he is and has been around here off and on for months. About a month ago I saw them on the same branch of the apple tree. I was afraid that they were going to fight and that someone would be hurt. Surprisingly, they started wrestling around like a couple of kittens and then went over to see what was in the feeder, ( I still put food out and plan to continue to.) She stays far away from me as does Philbert when I am outside. I am comforted that they have a healthy fear of humans. My thinking is that as long as they don't have to go too far for food and water, they are less likely to get into trouble. They are still using the nesting box sometimes but Tiny has a nest built higher up in the tree as well. Do squirrels typically stay paired up or are they normally solitary? I had believed the latter but these two seem to usually be together or at least nearby. It wouldnt be the first time that I was surprised. When do squirrels typically have babies and is there anything I can do to help them?

How are Philbert and Tiny doing?

Equinox Rain
01-01-2011, 06:25 PM
I saw them again this morning. Have been continuing to feed then wild bites and pumpkin seeds/nuts all along. I still see them from time to time. Got a good look this morning. Both are doing fine. Happy 2011 everyone, mine has started well! :crazy

island rehabber
01-01-2011, 06:36 PM
That's wonderful, ER! I love to hear that releases are doing well out there!