PDA

View Full Version : Hickory Nuts-How do I know when they're okay?

Tara
06-21-2009, 09:44 PM
While reading the forum, I saw where hickory nuts were okay to give to squirrels. So my question is, how do I know when they're "in season"? Right now, the have a green shell and starting to crack open.
Also, are these categorized for "treats" or "wild foods" according to the healthy diet regimen?

Legomom
06-21-2009, 10:23 PM
I don't know when they ripen, but because they are a nut I would classify them as a treat, personally. Others may think differently, just my .02. :)

I did find this, hope it helps!
http://www.mainenature.org/images/hickory_nuts.jpg
Hickory nuts, various stages (left to right): green unripe husk; dry, ripe husk starting to open; unhusked nut

I found it toward the bottom of this web site:
http://www.mainenature.org/reports/atcttrip03.html

Tara
06-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Okay, I'm pretty sure that's what's outside. They're almost totally green though-even more than the pic to the left-and they smell really strong. Any info on when they're okay for the squirrels would be great!
In the meantime, I'll continue to research....

Thanks!

lookmomchickens
06-21-2009, 10:31 PM
When I was in Biloxi MS we saw squirrels picking the green ones off of the tree and eating them... so I took one up to Ike in the hotel room and it still had the green shell - I had to pick it off the tree! It took him 4 hours to get into it!

Tara
06-21-2009, 10:33 PM
LOL! That's funny! FOUR hours!?!?!? Guess it will give them something to do...

NaturesGift
06-21-2009, 11:26 PM
They eat them in the green stage as well as after they fall. Messy but good.

Jackie in Tampa
06-22-2009, 05:52 AM
:bash They are harder than a hammer!

Reddliz
06-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Kola has one of these trees on his humans property and he loves them in all stages as well. As the human in his life I love that they are so hard and he sits and gnaws at it forever.......I'll give him one a day in the season to replace a regular nut. :thumbsup

Tara
06-24-2009, 06:32 PM
That's what I've been trying to do...one per day. However, I have a hog that takes both in the end. :) We've only found a small handful so far, but I'm hoping to find enough to keep giving them to Whiney and Jelly Bean!
I'm trying to figure out how to get up in that tree to pull them!~ LOL!
Sometimes I give them the whole thing, and sometimes we crack the nut out for them.

:)