PDA

View Full Version : Baby Squirrel?

scottishottie
09-21-2006, 11:26 AM
I found a little squirrel in my dogs mouth last evening. I can't estimate the age cause I don't know a lot about squirrels, but it has all its hair and its eyes are open. It seems to be paralized in its back legs. I have been giving it milk/water since last nite through a medicine dropper. I read here today that I should not be doing that so I am on the way to the pet shop now for the esbilac.I have contacted a rehabber in the area but have not heard back just yet. I have the little guy in a box on a heating pad set to low. He seems to be hanging in there and is chirping, squeaking? He will let me hold him and pet his head and he can move really well with his front legs. There are no signs of external injuries and no vermin on him.(fleas, maggots) I am trying to make him comfortable until I hear back from the rehabber but is there any other recommendations from anyone? I feel bad for his back legs but the alternative(euthanizing) didn't seem to be the right thing to do either?! Thanks in advance, everyone here seems to be so cool! Kimmie in Florida

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-21-2006, 11:51 AM
Do you by chance have a vet that would see him?
By all means get the formula until a decicion is made & he needs to be on a heating pad on low! Baby squirrels cant be fed until they are warmed. Good luck keep us updated.
ps try to get the powedered form your vet should have it.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-21-2006, 12:11 PM
I jsut reread your post a fully fured squirrel dosen't need a heat source.(sorry)
You may want to pick up a very small syringe to feed him with also. Sometimes they can come out of the paralization issue, with proper care assuming nothing is hurt to badly..but also may not.

scottishottie
09-21-2006, 06:15 PM
Just a little update. I went to Pet store and got an emergency feed kit with a bottle, and a packet of the puppy milk. The little guy(?) has been taking about 1/2 an oz every 3 hours. He seems to want to drink, but still no movement in the back legs. I haven't heard back from the rehab person as of yet but maybe tomorrow. I am just going to try and keep the little one comfortable for now. For the record, I can not afford a vet at this time. I just lost my job due to pregnancy, and will not have a source of income until after the first of the year. I'm gonna do the best I can for this little guy until I can find someone to help him. Thanks for the help! Kim

Suro
09-21-2006, 06:44 PM
Do wildlife vets charge? Ours don't in the UK?
Well my boss charges the wildlife rescue peopel, and i hate that, but members of the public never get charged.
I hope they don't - thats awful if they do :(

rygel1hardt
09-21-2006, 06:50 PM
Most vets charge. Even if you cant afford to take him to a vet you might call them and see if they can reccommend a rehabber that answers her phone. We have a rehabber section here on this site did you look in there to see if there are any close to you? Good luck and keep up the good work til you can find someone to help with him. Stacey

Do wildlife vets charge? Ours don't in the UK?
Well my boss charges the wildlife rescue peopel, and i hate that, but members of the public never get charged.
I hope they don't - thats awful if they do :(

quirlgirl
09-22-2006, 03:43 AM
Hi, wanted to tell you that a squirrel can lead a good life even if they are paralized in the back legs. Scooter had fur, open eyes, only wanted a bottle for a week or so before eating solid foods, He even had seizures(sp?) for a while but we got thru those. I have had him almost 4 years and he is my constant companion, I take him outside every day where he climbes trees and has learned to back down them, tries to chase other squirrels and do the whole squirrel thing. As much as I love him my heart still hurts that he couldn't be released, he stands at a base of a tree looking up and I know what he's thinking but I can't let him climb as much as I use to,he's to too heavy at the moment due to me feeding him the wrong things. Did I get off subject????? or what, it's early.:dono Was only trying to say that the back legs being paralized doesn't mean having to be euthanized, take a look at all Scooters pics, he is much loved and doing fine.........:)

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-22-2006, 08:12 AM
My vet took in a squirrel that was hit by a car, and now keeps him as a pet!

scottishottie
09-23-2006, 11:36 AM
The little guy passed away yesterday at 7.45 pm est. He just stopped taking any milk yesterday afternoon. He was not pooping so I think the injury to his back end was more serious that I originally thought. I did the best I could to keep him comfortable and I hope that at least the last few days for him were not ones spent in pain or terror. I would like to give kuddo's to all you of that do this on a regular basis. I am still crying this morning at the loss of the baby. I can't imagine how attached I would be if I raised one for real. God bless you all. Thanks! Kimmie

island rehabber
09-23-2006, 11:51 AM
Kim, bless you for caring for him and helping him to cross the Bridge safely and comfortably. I missed your posts yesterday, but many of us can tell you that the scenario you experienced with your little friend is pretty common among serious squirrel injuries. Sometimes, when paralysis is due to diet (calcium deficiency) or disease, the squirrels can recover. But more often, the scene is this: the squirrel is injured by a car, a dog, a fall....he drags himself to a sympathetic human (how do they know?) .... and a day or so later, he's gone. You were called to assist, and you did it so well. :peace:)

ravenlaws32
10-01-2006, 12:30 AM
thank you for helping him out .:grouphug . we just lost lewis wednesday night. he was with us for about 6 months. he was found and we took care of him then a week before release we came home and he was not using his hind legs. he was paralyzed wasit down . after xrays our vet showed us and said it bas a birth abnoramilty in his spine and it would have happened in the wild. so we were shocked but up to the task of raising him as a pet. we all became friends and family and we loved him as much as he loved us. we are still crying and will for a long time. take it from us just becasue a squirrel is paralyzed does not mean a thing. he played and ran and just had a ball. i have pics of lewis on the boards if yo uwant take a look, i would post another one but i will cry all over again . but anyway hugs and prayers to you for your heart and help.