PDA

View Full Version : Molasses question for 4s

PBluejay2
06-14-2009, 09:24 AM
According to the USDA, 100 grams of molasses contains 205 mg of calcium to 31 mg phosphorus (6.6:1 ratio) and is a bountiful source of potassium (1464 mg.). In an attempt to make the blocks more appealing (for mine, anyway), would it hurt the nutritional balance to add molasses? Maybe they have a sweet tooth?

4skwerlz
06-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Molasses is very nutritious and I seriously considered adding it to the original block recipe. It does, of course, also contain a lot of sugar = high glycemic load. Some squirrels like the taste; some don't (like every other food except nuts). In the end, I decided to keep the glycemic load low since the blocks were for permanently captive squirrels, and to supplement the calcium, potassium, etc., other ways.

Of course, the most nutritious block in the world is no good if your squirrels won't eat them, so by all means try adding a little molasses. As far as adjusting the recipe, just keep an eye on the totals requirements for the various nutrients. Potassium as you know can be dangerous if overdosed. And let us know how they like them.

PBluejay2
06-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Molasses is very nutritious and I seriously considered adding it to the original block recipe. It does, of course, also contain a lot of sugar = high glycemic load. Some squirrels like the taste; some don't (like every other food except nuts). In the end, I decided to keep the glycemic load low since the blocks were for permanently captive squirrels, and to supplement the calcium, potassium, etc., other ways.

Of course, the most nutritious block in the world is no good if your squirrels won't eat them, so by all means try adding a little molasses. As far as adjusting the recipe, just keep an eye on the totals requirements for the various nutrients. Potassium as you know can be dangerous if overdosed. And let us know how they like them.

Thanks! I'll keep you posted. Do you have any suggestions as to how much molasses to add--just enough for flavor I would assume, but how much is that? Also, a long time ago I found this concoction--formula, nuts, Gerber Dutch Apple baby food--which my squirrel at the time LOVED. The Dutch Apple had a little cinnamon in it. Maybe try that too?

4skwerlz
06-14-2009, 11:18 AM
I don't know...maybe try one tbsp molasses per batch to start. I don't see how a little cinnamon could hurt (like 1 tsp). Every squirrel has different tastes. Let us know if it works.