PDA

View Full Version : ? about house being sprayed

DaleJrmom2
06-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Im going to have my house sprayed inside by a pest control company. Now my ? is.....Is it ok to let them spray in my room where Elissa's cage is?I am very worried for i dont want to harm her but the bugs are getting bad here since all this rain we had. Thanks

PBluejay2
06-13-2009, 08:19 PM
I would take her cage outside. Just ask yourself--is it worth any possible risk to your squirrels life/health? If you mean returning her to her room AFTER they've sprayed, if it's safe for you to return, or better yet small children to return, wait an extra hour or two and THEN return your squirrel to its room. Small animals can react to toxins much faster than humans--reason for the canaries in coal mines.

DaleJrmom2
06-13-2009, 08:22 PM
I would take her cage outside. Just ask yourself--is it worth any possible risk to your squirrels life/health? If you mean returning her to her room AFTER they've sprayed, if it's safe for you to return, or better yet small children to return, wait an extra hour or two and THEN return your squirrel to its room. Small animals can react to toxins much faster than humans--reason for the canaries in coal mines.

The thing that bothers me is they always say it is safe around animals....I dont know how true that is.....but unfortunately we cant move her cage cause it is too big and tall to move.....so i guess i will not let them spray my room just to be safe then...We dont want anything happening to our baby girl

TinyPaws
06-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Maybe they could spray the foundation around your room on the outside, to prevent bugs from coming into the bedroom.....

DaleJrmom2
06-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Maybe they could spray the foundation around your room on the outside, to prevent bugs from coming into the bedroom.....

I think that is best they dont spray my room either. Just had to ask the question. We have had alot of rain and the bugs are ughhhh....i just wont let them spray my room for sure, but on the outside yes i agree. Thanks

mindy65
06-14-2009, 07:05 AM
I just want to let you to know about sevin 5% dust, this stuff is amazing. Everyone recommends it on Pigeon talk, and Starling talk. Its good for almost any bugs. You can put it on dogs, cats, birds. I put it on my carpet, to get rid fleas if I happen to get them. If the birds have mites, I put it on with a dry brush under there feathers and no more mites. I have put it underneath my squirrel cage and I have never seen a bug. Sevin 5% dust can be found at any garden supply store. Its my new best friend. mindy

Jackie in Tampa
06-14-2009, 10:13 AM
exterminators are poisonous!:dono so.....
research for a safer method is my advise. jmo

mindy65
06-14-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm telling you Sevin 5% dust. Is great!!! There is something else calle "D something, I have to go look it up, and its even safer. Or you can go on Pigeon Talk, and they can tell you. There are 1000 of people on there all the time, the site is huge and they have a off topic forum. I have learned so much on there.

muffinsquirrel
06-15-2009, 12:05 AM
The 5% Sevin is great (make sure you get the 5%, not the 10%). I have used it on puppies, kittens, birds, chickens, etc. I have put it on my floors, in my dog's bedding, in bird nests, and in sand piles for the animals to roll and dust in. I have never had any problems with it. I would use it ANYDAY over an extermator. I buy it by the bag and then put it in an old jar with holes poked in the lid and just sprinkle it around everywhere.

muffinsquirrel

JLM27
06-15-2009, 08:05 AM
I've been reading enough threads here to remember when someone lost two baby squirrels because pesticide was sprayed in their room, so CAUTION is indeed indicated.

mindy65
06-15-2009, 03:49 PM
There has been lost of animals lost to exterminators!!! I swear by sevin 5% dust.A lady lost all her birds one time, and there room wasn't sprayed. There is also another product that gets rid of all bugs and I guess you can even eat it. Its Diatomaceous Earth FOOD GRADE!! If it doesn't say food grade its for swimming pools and animals will die. But Sevin works better IMHO. And its cheap!! in comparison to exterminators. I go a litter container and it was $5.99 or 7.99,(it sucks getting old can't remember which one) which you'll need alot more, but it will give you an idea.

DaleJrmom2
06-15-2009, 07:06 PM
Hubby and I just decided not to have our room done at all. I have seen nothing in our room in order to have it sprayed. Just will have the rest of the house done instead. We just wont chance using anything around our lil girl. So thank you for all your advice i really appreciate it. Thats why i love this web site!

mindy65
06-15-2009, 07:35 PM
Other animals have died, just being in the house when its being sprayed.. Just because the room isn't sprayed doesn't mean the odor can't get to her. You really should try the sevin 5% dust, I promise you, you won't regret trying it first. Why not try something first you can always spray later if it doesn't work. Please try the sevin 5% dust first. OR remove you baby out of the house for several days.

I think your taking the easy way out, Sure you have spread the sevin 5% down and then vacume the next day in some areas that you travel through. But I think your making a big mistake, spraying. Everyone that responded said not to do it, and you come on and say we are doing it just not our room. My question is if you wanted recommendation, then why not try them. mindy

DaleJrmom2
06-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Other animals have died, just being in the house when its being sprayed.. Just because the room isn't sprayed doesn't mean the odor can't get to her. You really should try the sevin 5% dust, I promise you, you won't regret trying it first. Why not try something first you can always spray later if it doesn't work. Please try the sevin 5% dust first. OR remove you baby out of the house for several days.

I think your taking the easy way out, Sure you have spread the sevin 5% down and then vacume the next day in some areas that you travel through. But I think your making a big mistake, spraying. Everyone that responded said not to do it, and you come on and say we are doing it just not our room. My question is if you wanted recommendation, then why not try them. mindy

So you think i should do this myself which is fine. But where can i get the 5% from?

muffinsquirrel
06-15-2009, 11:22 PM
You can find it at Walmart, most feed stores, nurseries, etc. It is usually sold as 5% or 10% - get the 5%. Sevin dust is fairly inexpensive, and is easy to apply. Like I said, I put it in a jar, punch holes in the lid, and just sprinkle it around. I do not use a duster because I don't want the particles floating around in the air.

Good luck with it - I am fixing to treat my house with it too - I seem to be hosting a roach convention all of a sudden!

muffinsquirrel

DaleJrmom2
06-15-2009, 11:30 PM
You can find it at Walmart, most feed stores, nurseries, etc. It is usually sold as 5% or 10% - get the 5%. Sevin dust is fairly inexpensive, and is easy to apply. Like I said, I put it in a jar, punch holes in the lid, and just sprinkle it around. I do not use a duster because I don't want the particles floating around in the air.

Good luck with it - I am fixing to treat my house with it too - I seem to be hosting a roach convention all of a sudden!

muffinsquirrel

Just wanted to make sure cause our girl is our baby......she is so spoiled it isnt even funny.....sorry for being so funny

Washee
06-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Sorry for what might be a silly question but just to make sure I'm understanding. :morning

Anyway so it is ok to spray the OUTSIDE of the house and then just use sevin 5% dust for the inside? Or are we talking no spraying anywhere?

My question is now concluded. Please ignore the following smiles. I just thought they looked so cool.

:alright.gif
:wave
:goodbad
:osnap

mindy65
06-16-2009, 04:39 PM
I don't know what kind of bugs your really talking about, or how many, me personally would just use the sevin 5% dust around the house also, and see if it can help you with your problem. If it doesn't work then I guess you might not have a choice but to spray. But I would try the sevin 5% dust, you will be shocked out how well it really works, and people put the stuff on little baby birds, and they preen themselves and they don't show any sign of trouble. I just found out about the stuff, and Its my new best friend. Instead of paying $14.00 for one application of frontline for fleas, mind you I have 12 cats and a dog and if I had to do that every month, well I couldn't afford to. I buy the sevin 5% for 7.99 and it solved all my problems. I know I was hesitate also, but really try it. Its easy to find, just make sure you use the 5% dust. I hope you don't think I was being rude on my last post I was just wanting the baby to be alright, and really didn't want you to find out the hard way that spraying would take her life. min