PDA

View Full Version : Diet for 10 week old grey

Nibbles mum
06-11-2009, 03:46 AM
Hi, I'm fairly new here and a bit confused what to feed my grey squirrel now that she is weaning. I've seen Russell Rabbit mix mentioned on the UK section (I'm in the UK). Is this for the squirrels (sorry if this is a silly question)? Why Russell Rabbit as opposed to any other? Any other ideas for greens etc? We've not got many wild seeds or nuts ready yet. I'm really worried that she gets MBD as it sounds awful. I don't want to feed her the wrong things.

Really hope someone can help.

4skwerlz
06-11-2009, 05:44 AM
Hi, I'm fairly new here and a bit confused what to feed my grey squirrel now that she is weaning. I've seen Russell Rabbit mix mentioned on the UK section (I'm in the UK). Is this for the squirrels (sorry if this is a silly question)? Why Russell Rabbit as opposed to any other? Any other ideas for greens etc? We've not got many wild seeds or nuts ready yet. I'm really worried that she gets MBD as it sounds awful. I don't want to feed her the wrong things.

Really hope someone can help.

No bunny food....lol. Check out the "Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels":
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16093

And the feeding instructions:
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17557

You'll find a lot of info in the Squirrel Nutrition section.

:Welcometo TSB!

Nibbles mum
06-11-2009, 07:15 AM
Thanks so much for the speedy reply, 4skwerlz. I have been through the nutrition section etc, but thought that I had missed something. I would hate to feed Nibbles the wrong foods! I haven't seen rodent blocks in the pet shops here though, and will need something until I can get the blocks made myself. What could I use meantime?

4skwerlz
06-11-2009, 07:21 AM
Thanks so much for the speedy reply, 4skwerlz. I have been through the nutrition section etc, but thought that I had missed something. I would hate to feed Nibbles the wrong foods! I haven't seen rodent blocks in the pet shops here though, and will need something until I can get the blocks made myself. What could I use meantime?

The ingredients can be hard to find in other countries besides the US, especially the whey protein isolate. There really is no substitute for rodent blocks or squirrel blocks. You can order both online.

Nibbles mum
06-11-2009, 07:40 AM
Ok thanks, I will try to hold out and hunt down the ingredients from somewhere. Would flavoured whey protein isolate do if I can't get plain?

4skwerlz
06-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Ok thanks, I will try to hold out and hunt down the ingredients from somewhere. Would flavoured whey protein isolate do if I can't get plain?

There really is no substitute for the Now Brand 100% Whey Protein Isolate. All of the other brands I have looked at (a lot) have lower-quality protein, too many carbs, and usually artificial sweeteners, which are toxic to rodents. And the flavored ones usually have the most additives. If you can find the Now Brand, you should be able to get the unflavored. The Now Protein can be ordered online from Allstar Health.

You can order commercial rodent blocks from Petco and other major pet stores. And I also ship the Henry's Healthy Blocks overseas, so if you need to order them from me you can visit the website in my signature.

I don't want to sound discouraging, but folks have had a lot of trouble finding the right ingredients locally outside the U.S. Maybe you'll be luckier.:thumbsup