PDA

View Full Version : poop problems

suzy72532
09-20-2006, 08:29 AM
Hey All

Freddy is about 10 weeks I am gonna guess maybe a little older, not real sure about that but I had been having problems with loose stools and as per some advise here I changed his formula to Esiblac added heavy whipping cream and I put a dollup of pureed bannanas ,well it finally worked we have pellets but now I think the pellets were to hard. I noticed last night that something did not seem quite right with the poop, it was red colored not runny or anything but looked like had blood in it. I examined it and it really looked like blood. His eating is great, he finally started eating some dried banannas, I got him a tropical trail mix that has raisens and pineapple in it. He still takes his bottle 3 times a day with great relish I might add, but he is not acting bad or dragging his rear or anything should I be worried?

Critter_Queen
09-20-2006, 09:18 AM
Is there something in the trail mix that is red or orange that he could be consuming a lot of? I believe that blood in the stool generally comes out black, not red... (maybe someone else has more experience with this and will chime in shortly to agree or disagree with that)

If the stools are pelleted, firm, and regular I wouldn't worry as long as he's acting fine.

Oh, and be sure there is nothing but raw ingredients in your trail mix...added sugar, maltodextrin, fructose, etc are not good for him.

Critter_Queen
09-20-2006, 09:52 AM
An alternative to human trail mix can be found in the rodent or rabbit section of your local pet store. I can't remember the name of it off hand, but it contains a TON of dried fruits and nuts and other stuff like coconut but it's all natural. I also use something called "Healthy Toppings"...I think it's by Kaytee...also found in the rodent/rabbit sections...I prefer the dried bananas, mixed fruit (raisins, blueberrys, cranberries, apple), and the pumpkin seed/slivered almonds. These are just added crunchies for my squirrels and not their regular diet of fresh fruits and veggies...but they love them and it's not bad for them...

island rehabber
09-20-2006, 09:55 AM
Is there something in the trail mix that is red or orange that he could be consuming a lot of? I believe that blood in the stool generally comes out black, not red... (maybe someone else has more experience with this and will chime in shortly to agree or disagree with that)

If the stools are pelleted, firm, and regular I wouldn't worry as long as he's acting fine.

Oh, and be sure there is nothing but raw ingredients in your trail mix...added sugar, maltodextrin, fructose, etc are not good for him.

I agree with CQ that it may be some coloring in the trail mix that you see in his stool. I would be careful of raisins, also -- I know someone who rescued their squirrel from choking to death on a raisin. I know folks give bananas to squirrels for various reasons but I'm a purist.....if the squirrel wouldn't find that particular thing in his native habitat I don't give it to them and bananas and pineapples sure don't grow in the Bronx, LOL. Once again, try getting him to like veggies such as sweet potato, broccoli, kale, chickory, cauliflower and even squash. I give mine mushrooms, also, even though they don't have much nutrition in them because I was told that in dry periods squirrels will take mushrooms off trees in order to get moisture, and this way they will be familiar with them.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-20-2006, 10:18 AM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k93/margaretmowery_2006/100_2631-1.jpg

I know someone who rescued their squirrel from choking to death on a raisin. Yes, me! Last weekend Little Preston (he's in the middle)I found him choking to death on a raisin, had I not been in the room with him he wouldnt be here now. The motions he was going through because he couldn't get air will haunt me forever. I had bought dried fruit for them thinking it would last a little longer for them in the warm weather. Big mistake, I will never give dried fruit of any kind again.
Thanks IR

Critter_Queen
09-20-2006, 10:40 AM
REALLY?!?! Wow... I've observed mine eating various dried fruits and they nibble them and stash 'em for later...how did he choke on a raisin?? Was he just so hungry he practically inhaled it, or what?

SCARY.

Momma Squirrel
09-20-2006, 10:44 AM
So glad you were there for Preston, how scared you must have been. Love the picture of those 3, what sweethearts.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-20-2006, 10:50 AM
I didnt even know he had it, I was in & out of the room & happened to notice him doing that gapping thing (after they drink formula they contiue swallowing with their mouth wide open) and his feet were going as if he were needing his mother, awful sight. I thought what a stange thing to be doing I took him out & he couldnt get air, & I didnt see the raisin at first then I screamed for my daughter to get tweezers (thank God she found them right away) it was way in the back of his throat blocking his air. It was a horrible thing. I dont know how long he was like that (from what I seen) he went for atleast a minute with oxygen. I threw that stuff in the garbage fast!