PDA

View Full Version : Blind Squirrel

Stray123
09-19-2006, 04:56 PM
I work in a animal hospital and we had a record year for baby squirrels. We had alot of downed trees this year in NY. Someone brought in this female squirrel eyes not open,close to the same size of the litter of 3 I have been nursing. I took her in when everyone opened there eyes I was so excited, then she opened her eyes and one was completely blue, the other grey but you could tell it was not right. I had one of the Doctors I work with look at her eyes we tried steriod drops for 4 weeks. It is getting near release time and I don't think she should be released. It breaks my heart because when she was brought to us her ears had pieces missing and she had claw marks on her back, I surmise she was taken from her nest by a bird of prey. She beat the odds and survived. I think she only sees shadows and relies on smell mostly. Any suggestions or advice on my options. I have thought out all my options Im just not sure. Thanks!

Suro
09-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Awww. What a terrible shame to survive all that and then be like this :(

I read somewhere else on this board when I first joined about a baby with little to no vision, he seems to be slowly getting it back though.

I am guessing she will have to be kept longer to see how she can cope and if it improves at all? And maybe if she can be released to go somewhere really safe like a sanctuary somewhere?

BuckeyeSqrl
09-19-2006, 06:37 PM
Island Rehabber might be able to help you. She may be able to work out arrangements for a blind squirrel.

If she is truly blind, she cannot be released. She has two options; euthanasia or a home as an education animal with a rehabber. I do not know the laws in NY, but most states do not allow squirrels to be kept as pets.

Let me know if you don't hear something from Island Rehabber.

snakegetters
09-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Depending on the animal's personality, she might be an excellent education animal. Some states have a mandatory euthanasia policy for nonreleasable handicapped wild animals, so you might want to research this before turning her in to anyone who is involved with enforcing those laws.

rehabmom
09-19-2006, 08:50 PM
i wish i lived closer and i would take your little girl. we can have wild pets hear with a lic. i have a total blind squirrel and a partley blind cottentail.

island rehabber
09-19-2006, 10:39 PM
I have thought out all my options Im just not sure. Thanks!

Hi Stray, I'm your NY neighbor in the BX.....I will private message you directly with some ideas for this poor little girl.

Stray123
10-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Hi,
I just wanted to thank everyone for there response. I have placed my seeing impaired girl with a licensed rehabber that will keep her.:thankyou

island rehabber
10-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Hi,
I just wanted to thank everyone for there response. I have placed my seeing impaired girl with a licensed rehabber that will keep her.:thankyou

YAY!! :wahoo:thumbsup Good news, I love good news. And what a great job you've done, Stray! :peace

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
10-01-2006, 03:49 PM
You give that rehabber a hug & thank you from all of us squirrel lover here!