PDA

View Full Version : the upstate south carolina info is no longer valid

Somebody's Mother
09-18-2006, 08:44 AM
i am trying to contact them regarding karen and also to offer to take in a special needs squirrel once karen is released. anyone know who to contact or how to contact them?

Secret Squirrel
09-18-2006, 09:13 AM
I am in the southeast part of the state. You can call Janet at Keeper Of The Wild and she will be able to help you out. We have a "highway of rehabbers" who are state wide. Good luck gal!!
www.keeperofthewild.org (http://www.keeperofthewild.org)
PS the website is being updated!!!

Somebody's Mother
09-18-2006, 11:26 AM
i left a message on janet's voice mail this morning. i am glad to say i am in no hurry to be rid of karen. but i know that he will never be happy in captivity. he is sweet and will let me hold him and pet him for short periods of time but then that is enough and he is ready to go.
i had put his cage out yesterday so he could become a little more acquainted with the outside world. but he seemed scared of the noises and activities around him. he hid under his blanket for the most part. so now i feel i need an expert to help me out.
btw he is about 3/4 the size of a full grown squirrel and he can open acorns on his own. so i am beginning to think he is probably 9 weeks old now instead of 8 weeks old.

Somebody's Mother
10-05-2006, 01:36 PM
to anyone that hasn't read my other posts, i ended up taking karen to keeper of the wild this previous sunday. it was a three hour drive to get HER there. it was definitely worth it. if anyone in south carolina needs a place to release their squirrels or a rehabber this is the place. beautiful and the most caring people.
God Bless Janet and Keeper of the Wild :bowdown

myflyer
02-09-2007, 11:58 AM
In SC there is also carolina Wildlife care in Columbia. I went there for classes etc. They are also always on the prowl for voulenteers to help with the orphaned squirrel babies they get every year. They raised 714 last year. I toured their facility and they have indoor, transition and outdoor cages for aclimating and they have in-house training for I cant spell voluenteer...lol

Suggiemom
03-26-2007, 07:26 PM
I also work with Foothills Wildlife Rescue in Greenville/Spartanburg. We are also licensed in NC.

Somebody's Mother
03-27-2007, 01:12 PM
i called foothills wildlife rescue and also called six rehabbers recommended by vets and pet stores. some were in spartanburg and some were in greenville. none even returned my calls. elizalala i think works with foothills wildlife rescue. it was baby season and i understand this was a wild time to try and place a baby squirrel.
karen was safe with me and fortunately secret squirrel referred me to keeper of the wild. it was a long drive but well worth it. i had become quite attached to karen during the time she was with us and i believe this was the best outcome for all of us. i felt comfortable that she would be cared for and released into a wonderful environment.
i understand she still frequents the garden there and even ran up the leg of one of this board members daughters legs a few weeks back. it don't get no better than that!

oh yeah, there is a box in silver springs pet centers for a rehabber at foothills wildlife rescue that is collecting blankets and formula for the rehab. every time i get by one of the pet centers i try and drop off more blankets.

keep up the good work!

Suggiemom
03-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Oh that's cool. Someone donated a ton of fleece so as soon as I get some time, I'll be making some cuddle pouches, etc.