PDA

View Full Version : What? No Nuts???

BigNibbler
05-22-2009, 02:38 AM
Hi All,
I am confused about the role of nuts in diet.
From my reading of several books on squirrels, like Richard W. Thorington Jr ( curator of mammals at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural History ) Their whole life is based on nuts. That except for babies, who need mothers milk, a sq basically gets all the nutrition she needs in the wild from nuts and also when needed, eats leaves, berries, twigs, etc.

They also are experts on nuts. They shake nuts to be sure the shell is not empty. They bite off the ends to keep from germination. And in my experience, they will select from a variety of eight, which ones they want.
They store some, and eat some. Sometimes they eat first, and store later. Other times - like mornings - they eat first then store. But they always store. And they can, left undisturbed, eat between 20 and thirty nuts at one time! Yet, storing is not advocated here.

In addition, i read very little about almonds. Early on in my learning about squirrels, i tested to see which ones they preferred. This was after reading that squirrels in the wild, know what they need for decent nutrition. And would choose the right food given a choice, when not starving.

Among, hazel, filbert, almond, walnut, pecan, peanut, and acorns, the almonds are their favorites. I know the shells are relatively soft, and I do provide harder nuts from time to time. But is there something wrong with almonds? I rarely see them mentioned, and do not see them listed in many food blocks.

Snickers bars, is another thing i have questions about.
I rarely eat candy. But they seem to be solidly decent stuff. Loaded with nuts. From perusing this board, i see that sugar is bad, causing hyper activity, and weight gain. And again, i am someone who refused to eat softdrinks and junk food. But in freezing winter snowy days, would that be bad for adults in the wild. Not as a main diet, but every few weeks?

I'm new on here, forgive me, if all this is covered elsewhere.
Just point me in the right direction. I see posts that have opinions, but they convey a general consensus that must be based on factual references.
Been trying to read all i can. But have no clear cut answers and trying to understand.

Pointy Tale
05-22-2009, 05:50 AM
MasterNibbler, are you talking about wilds or pet squirrels? I believe pet squirrels and rehab squirrel do not extra nuts that what is alloted because they will stash them and that can make the aggressive, and they get more of the veggies, fruits, etc. to replace all of the good stuff they get in nature. Go to the Nutrition section, 4Skewrl has a lot of more than helpful information about it. I cater to wilds so it doesn't matter if I give them nuts because they find food on their own, but I also make the HHBlocks (thanks 4Skewrl). And, although the experts say they bit the tips off to prevent germination, ha, tell that to my squirrels, bless their sweet hearts and effort, thanks to them, I am growing some more trees. As for Almonds, they are a favorite with some of my wilds and they are in the HHBlocks. Does this help you or leave you with more questions? Oh, I am Not an expert Nor am I a rehabber, Just a Person. So I'm sure a rehabber or 4S will know how to explain everything better, but in the meantime, please go to the nutrition section!

Anne
05-22-2009, 08:15 AM
MasterNibbler- Wild squirrels get a whole lot more exercise than caged squirrels. The foods wild squirrels have available to them season by season are not easily gathered by squirrel keepers. Even one squirrel would exhaust the keeper just trying to find enough food to keep it from being hungry. Add to this the lack of daylight requirements, and you have a disaster waiting to happen. The closest nutritional studies we have are the diet needs of captive rats. 4S has done more to study and list good diet for our squirrels than anyone else. Yes, squirrels love nuts, but being caged nuts give them to much fat they can't run off.
Caged Tigers still eat meat, but do not require as much. They do not have to: run down prey. They eat everyday so them do not need to gorge because food will be difficult to obtain. They will not have to defend themselves from attack and possible death.
The low protein and high fat in nuts is wonderful as a squirrel treat as your Snickers bar is for you. However, you would not do well on a diet consisting mainly of Snickers with only an occasional veg or meat, the same is true of our squirrels.

BigNibbler
05-22-2009, 01:17 PM
as much as i would love to have a pet squirrel, their beauty really is in their enjoyment of their three dimensional freedom. I think i have the best of both worlds. My neighborhood friends, make me their first and last stop each day, and if i am generous, they remain in sight most of the day. Some eat from my hand, and actually come deep inside the house, and select the particular nuts they want from 8 various containers. They sit inches from me and turn their back to me, to watch the other directions. I think that is a special bond.
Sometime they put their hand gently on my arm.
They watch me arrive from high up on the power lines, and sometimes position themselves in strategic positions to best observe my presence.
I most enjoy their observing their love, hate and play relationships with each other, except, in the case of poor CYAN getting her hand chewed up.

But yes... They are wild. So i guess i am not harming them by feeding them nuts and more nuts, and occasional chocolate bars?
Makes me feel better.

muffinsquirrel
05-22-2009, 01:40 PM
I would leave out the candy bars - chocolate is very bad for them. My outdoor wilds will gladly eat/bury as many nuts as we can afford to buy, and they go heavy on the sunflower seeds and corn, also. My indoor squirrels get nuts, within limits, and on very rare occasions, sunflower and corn.

If you want to give them a treat in cold weather, do what Bob does in Alaska - mix them a bowl of peanut butter and syrup, or molassas. (Actually, molassas is fairly good for them!)

Enjoy your wild buddies - wildlife is what makes life worth while.

muffinsquirrel

Anne
05-22-2009, 02:52 PM
MasterNibbler--I thought we were talking about caged pet squirrels tinfoil .
Wild squirrels can have all the nuts they want :D The problem with chocolate is that it contains caffeine. Caffeine is not good for any animal. Too much can kill. Our squirrel buddy's little hearts pump pretty fast just getting them though every day. Rev that little sucker up much more and you have a heart attack waiting to happen:nono Load them down in the winter with peanut butter and leave the caffeine to wind your motor for the day:jump

BigNibbler
05-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Oh. I understand, its the chocolate, not the sugar. but molasses is good for them? OK. I will whip up some chopped nuts in molasses. see what happens. Thanks for the explanation.

island rehabber
05-22-2009, 07:10 PM
molasses is one of the best ready sources of calcium a squirrel can get -- go for it! :thumbsup

BigNibbler
05-26-2009, 08:02 AM
molasses is one of the best ready sources of calcium a squirrel can get -- go for it! :thumbsup

I am worried that i may not be helping my wild ones be as healthy as they can be. Do they like molasses? I do not, so i have none in the house, but will by tomorrow:D , if i was going to add just a few ingredients, what can i add ( think blender ), to make a solid bar like food they will love?
I feel they are trusting me, and i should not be harming them.
thanks for the useful advice.

4skwerlz
05-26-2009, 08:24 AM
As others posted, there's a big difference between a caged pet squirrel and a wild squirrel--activity levels, access to a variety of wild foods, etc.

I observed and loved my group of wild squirrels for many years. However, I limited the food I gave them. I believe it's possible to unbalance their diet with too much extra food. Each of my wildies got 2 nuts per day and that's about it. Of course, if one was sick or thin, he got some extra nourishing food from me.

Some dangers of overfeeding wildies:
1. You may attract more squirrels to the area than the habitat can support. Then what will they do if you leave?
2. A heavy concentration of squirrels in one area can spread disease. It will attract more hawks and other predators. Also leads to more fighting over territory.
3. The wild diet depends on SEASONAL foods. Even acorns are only available for a few months each year. Squirrels are adapted to this. To have nuts available every day is unnatural. Squirrels have an instinctive food preference for high-energy foods like nuts; however, providing them every day may cause them to ignore the other natural foods that they should be eating to balance their diet. Nuts by themselves do NOT provide complete nutrition.
4. Leaving food out at night will attract rats and raccoons. Raccoons carry a parasite that is 100% fatal to squirrels--the raccoon roundworm. They also predate baby squirrels.

The comment by your friend that a squirrel's whole life is based on nuts is true, but only for "nuts in season." For example, grizzly bears can't survive without the seasonal migration of fish in the fall in order to fatten up for winter. However, if salmon were available year-round, it could be a bad thing. It could lead to overweight; the bears might ignore the berries and other foods that they also need; they might not go into hibernation when they should, etc., etc. Just because a natural food is vital, doesn't mean that "more is better."

BigNibbler
05-26-2009, 08:39 AM
"4. Leaving food out at night will attract rats and raccoons. Raccoons carry a parasite that is 100% fatal to squirrels--the raccoon roundworm. They also predate baby squirrels.

The comment by your friend that a squirrel's whole life is based on nuts is true, but only for "nuts in season." "

No food is left out at night ever.
Food is only dispensed on an hourly basis, if it is consumed.
Taken in afterwards.
Several months ago, i stopped putting any food outside ( except when Cyan was first injured ), and instead of feeding twelve sqs, the only ones i feed are the those that physically visit me, and come inside.
Unless i am home all day, most days my nut shop is only open a few hours morning and late afternoon.

Not a friend, that was Thorington, the curator of mammals who wrote that in his book on squirrels. Maybe its wrong?

hmm. interesting. So, i would love to back off on nuts.
But having a relationship with someone, means being there for them.
Is there something else i can have for my regular wilds, that i can vary and also will be good for them?

4skwerlz
05-26-2009, 08:53 AM
No food is left out at night ever.
Food is only dispensed on an hourly basis, if it is consumed.
Taken in afterwards.
Several months ago, i stopped putting any food outside ( except when Cyan was first injured ), and instead of feeding twelve sqs, the only ones i feed are the those that physically visit me, and come inside.
Unless i am home all day, most days my nut shop is only open a few hours morning and late afternoon.

Not a friend, that was Thorington, the curator of mammals who wrote that in his book on squirrels. Maybe its wrong?

hmm. interesting. So, i would love to back off on nuts.
But having a relationship with someone, means being there for them.
Is there something else i can have for my regular wilds, that i can vary and also will be good for them?

As I said, there aren't many healthy things you can give them that they can't already get in the wild. Limited nuts, or HHB. Most will eat peanut butter on a piece of bread. Some will eat avocado because it's high-fat. Some wilds will eat fruit.

muffinsquirrel
05-26-2009, 09:03 AM
You could try making them some oatmeal cookies - regular old fashioned oats, molassas, some chopped nuts, an egg, maybe some nut meal or whole wheat flour. Just stir them together, bake for a while until they hold together, and serve with a smile!:D

muffinsquirrel

BigNibbler
05-27-2009, 04:19 AM
You could try making them some oatmeal cookies - regular old fashioned oats, molassas, some chopped nuts, an egg, maybe some nut meal or whole wheat flour. Just stir them together, bake for a while until they hold together, and serve with a smile!:D

muffinsquirrel

Thanks. I would be smiling real big if they ate it.
Its interesting, all the recipes involve baking, and i never would have thought that. Figured it destroyed the vitamins. Also, figured nut cracking was important to shaving down those constantly growing toothes.
But this receipt, sounds so good, i might end up eating all the cookies!

Anne
05-27-2009, 08:08 AM
:nono MasterNibbler your mama taught you to share! The cookies sound good to me too-mmmmmmm:D

4skwerlz
05-27-2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks. I would be smiling real big if they ate it.
Its interesting, all the recipes involve baking, and i never would have thought that. Figured it destroyed the vitamins. Also, figured nut cracking was important to shaving down those constantly growing toothes.
But this receipt, sounds so good, i might end up eating all the cookies!

The HHB are "baked" at very low temp--220 degrees--to avoid nutrient degradation.

BigNibbler
05-27-2009, 08:16 AM

muffinsquirrel

MS, do you have any kinda recipe?
I love oatmeal and almond cookies. Maybe i could add almonds, at least till they get used to the cookies, and then i would surely be eating them as well.

BigNibbler
05-27-2009, 08:21 AM
right. I remembered reading that, and figured since it was over boiling temperature.. but yes, it sounds real low for baking temps.

Are the HHBs ok, for humans? ( i do not eat much veggies either )

gonna buy some molasses now!
and will order some of those blocks too!

4skwerlz
05-27-2009, 08:34 AM
right. I remembered reading that, and figured since it was over boiling temperature.. but yes, it sounds real low for baking temps.

Are the HHBs ok, for humans? ( i do not eat much veggies either )

gonna buy some molasses now!
and will order some of those blocks too!

Technically, HHB could be eaten by humans since the ingredients are all food-grade, but they taste pretty bland to me.

You need veggies too. Keep frozen veggies on hand and toss some in the pan with whatever else you're cooking: they will cook right along with your rice (peas and corn are good), your eggs (onions, tomatoes, green peppers), or your steak (green beans, asparagus, mushrooms).

Squirrellie
05-27-2009, 12:54 PM
In addition, i read very little about almonds. Early on in my learning about squirrels, i tested to see which ones they preferred. This was after reading that squirrels in the wild, know what they need for decent nutrition. And would choose the right food given a choice, when not starving.

Among, hazel, filbert, almond, walnut, pecan, peanut, and acorns, the almonds are their favorites. I know the shells are relatively soft, and I do provide harder nuts from time to time. But is there something wrong with almonds? I rarely see them mentioned, and do not see them listed in many food blocks.

Snickers bars, is another thing i have questions about.
I rarely eat candy. But they seem to be solidly decent stuff. Loaded with nuts. From perusing this board, i see that sugar is bad, causing hyper activity, and weight gain. And again, i am someone who refused to eat softdrinks and junk food. But in freezing winter snowy days, would that be bad for adults in the wild. Not as a main diet, but every few weeks?

Rosie and my other wilds just LOVE almonds. Also, once in a while, as a very rare treat, I will give her a few peanut M & Ms. She loves chocolate.

I also make this recipe for my wilds, they love it.

SQUIRREL BARS

1 cup honey
2 cups peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup coconut flakes
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup raisins or date pieces
4 cups oats
1/2 cup water

Mix everything together and pour into a greased 9 x 13" pan. For variation, add different types of nuts or corn. Refrigerate at least one hour before cutting, put out small bars as needed. ("As needed" means when your outdoor buddies come press their little noses against your window wanting more).

BigNibbler
05-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Yup. Their noses are very cute... EVERYTHING ABOUT THEM IS CUTE!
but i read here on this site, that they need a varied diet and i may be feeding them too much in the way of nuts, and it hurts me to turn them away.... so trying to find some way of giving them what their special little bodies require... in a way they will want to eat it. Your recipe, is it good for them... I thought sugar was not good for them?
Just about to try molasses.

Squirrellie
05-28-2009, 02:56 PM
I think my recipe is good for them, at least it has never seemed to hurt them & they love it! But if you are worried about the honey, someone else on here sells special squirrel blocks which are definitely healthy for squirrels, check out her thread in this forum, "Henry's Healthy Blocks."