PDA

View Full Version : CALCIBOOST POWDER

TinyPaws
05-22-2009, 01:56 AM
After using the liquid calciboost, i switched over to the powder, as the liquid doesn't last too long.....anyway, what i'd like to know is how much powder do i add to how much water? Thanks..

muffinsquirrel
05-22-2009, 02:37 PM
Do a search on NFSA for calciboost. I believe Joan uses it, and gives the amount to use in a post on there.

muffinsquirrel

TinyPaws
05-22-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks.....

4skwerlz
05-22-2009, 06:10 PM
If your squirrel is eating rodent blocks or squirrel blocks every day, no other supplements are needed.

I'm leery of any supplement made for pets, as they're manufactured to much lower quality standards (if any) than human supplements.

Mineral supplements like calcium are particularly liable to contain contaminants like heavy metals or other toxins. Human calcium supplements are tested to ensure purity. Supplements with the "USP" label have the highest standards of purity, consistency, potency, etc.

TinyPaws
05-23-2009, 02:56 AM
Timothy's not been eating the blocks like he's suppose to..He will take a few nibbles only because I pester him to do it...then he snatches it out of my hand and hides it....I found 10 blocks not touched...so I worry about his calcium...

MS..I could not find the info on NFSA...I am not a member so I don't have full access to the boards...If you can, will you get the information for me? Thank you, Thank you, Thank you........

4skwerlz
05-23-2009, 05:42 AM
I understand; just remember that calcium isn't the only thing they need.

Be sure you're following the feeding instructions; clean out those stashes; and don't give too many treats/snacks.

Now Foods sells pure calcium carbonate powder designed for humans and made to the highest standards. You can find it online at Allstar Health and other vitamin stores. What do you pay for calci-boost?

TinyPaws
05-23-2009, 08:20 AM
4S....I paid $26.00 for for 175g..plus shipping....But I don't think Timothy is going to like it because when I opened it, the smell of that product was very unpleasant...at least with the rep-cal, there is no smell at all....I should have just stuck with the calciboost liquid..but I was trying to save money and now I think I wasted more money because it will go untouched....

can squirrels have a calcium tablet (human type) a couple of times a week to nibble on?

4skwerlz
05-23-2009, 08:33 AM
4S....I paid $26.00 for for 175g..plus shipping....But I don't think Timothy is going to like it because when I opened it, the smell of that product was very unpleasant...at least with the rep-cal, there is no smell at all....I should have just stuck with the calciboost liquid..but I was trying to save money and now I think I wasted more money because it will go untouched....

can squirrels have a calcium tablet (human type) a couple of times a week to nibble on?
Sure, like I said, human supplements are manufactured to much higher standards of quality and purity. A bad smell is, IMO, a bad sign. Pure calcium is odorless.

Below is the Now Brand Calcium Carbonate Powder. It's $3.50 for a 12-oz (340 gram) bottle. Pet vitamins are not only suspect as to quality--they're a rip-off as well!

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/item/itemKey/49151

There's also a wide variety of powders with a mix of minerals for bone health.

TinyPaws
05-23-2009, 04:30 PM
4S...I checked out the site and the price is great....How should I give it to Timothy? In water or on food? and how much do I give and how often?

Seems like something I could use also....I need calcium but can not swollow the horse size pills...

It doesn't dissolve well in water. You could sprinkle on food or mix it with something. If you check out the squirrel block recipe, it lists the amount of calcium to be given monthly. Divide that in half due to a flyer's small body size, then divide it by 30 if you want a daily amount. The mgs/teaspoon are on the bottle.

For yourself, the calcium mixes well with yogurt.