PDA

View Full Version : Info regarding obtaining licence to rehab in NJ?

Dragonrain
05-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Hello!

If anyone could help me out that would be great! I recently graduated from a college in MA with a bachelors of science in biology and a concentration in wildlife and environmental management, so I do have quite a bit of experience working with wildlife. After graduation I moved to NJ to (finally) live with my boyfriend. We are in Northern NJ. I am new to the area so I was wondering if anyone here could help point me in the right direction for obtaining my licence to rehab. I have read everything on the Fish and Wildlife website but someone with personal experience or advice would be great!

Also, does anyone know of any wildlife centers or similar places in the area? I'd love to find a place to volunteer or if possible a place where I could be employed (long shot I know).

Thanks in advance! I haven't been around here for awhile but I appreciate any replies. :thankyou

Buddy'sMom
05-18-2009, 04:11 PM
:Welcome

You should send a Private Message to I Love Lucy, one of our members who is a rehabber in NJ -- I don't think she is in your area but should be able to help you with the state requirements.

BTW, I am a Jersey Girl myself -- grew up in north NJ in Bergen County.

Good luck with rehabbing --- and stick around, I think you will like it here. And we could use a rehabber contact in your area!

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

Pointy Tale
05-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Dragonrain, sorry I can't help with getting you information, but so happy to know I will have a fellow TSBer as a local rehabber, right now ours is out of Animal Control and their response to rehab, is not exactly what one would hope for. I hope it all works out for you, wishing you success and I hope that I will never need you, but it's good to know you're here!!!

island rehabber
05-18-2009, 09:05 PM
dragonrain I would definitely PM I Love Lucy....she'll clue you in on the process! New Jersey has, in my opinion, a far better process for wildlife rehab licensing than new York does. I believe you need to have a 1-year apprenticeship before you are licensed; New York lets anyone who can pass a 100-question test get a license and there are quite a few who never bother to step beyond that point :shakehead. You could also contact the NJAWR (NJ Assoc of Wildlife Rehabbers) www.njawr.com.