PDA

View Full Version : Help with flying squirrel and grey!!!

missalpo
09-17-2006, 01:32 PM
I posted a question on another board but didn't get a reply. I need an age timeline for flying squirrel (S.C) they are an 1.5 long (body) have whiskers and are beginning to get hair. They also have top and bottom teeth. I got them Friday and they are eating and pooping great. I just need a guesstimate age. I also had a grey brought to me that was half grown but don't know his history and he passed. He came in clicking and I started amox but he was so sick. Everything offered was blown back out of his nose?? Even the amox. He wanted so badly to eat but just kept blowing it out. I would really like to know what was wrong? I know he was on the ground for several hours before I got him. He was also covered in fleas. I tried my hardest to save him but in the end I lost. Anyone who knows what went wrong please let me know. And my last question is how rare is rabies in squirrels??? Thanks Tanya

Timber
09-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Well, can't really help you with the first two questions but as for as rabies, Squirrels ARE NOT carriers of the rabies gene. They do not get rabies unless they have been bitten by a rabid animal same as a cat,dog or human.

missalpo
09-17-2006, 04:12 PM
I worded it wrong sorry. What I meant was is it rare to hear of a squirrel with rabies? In my state to my knowledge there hasn't been a rabid squirrel. Just curious if anyone here is famiular with hearing of a rabid squirrel. The grey I lost just had alot of problems swallowing and has raised my suspesions. I have heard that it is rare because there brains are so small. But anywho any info would be helpful. I just want to know what killed him...Thanks

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-17-2006, 05:33 PM
It sounds to me as if he probably had phnemonia (sp)?
I am sorry for your loss.

rygel1hardt
09-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Hi Tanya and welcome to the squirrel board. I am so sorry to hear of your loss of the baby grey but you did your best and sometimes nature has her way in spite of all our efforts. Be happy that he died safe and warm and loved. Can you post a picture of your baby flyers to help with ageing them? They open their eyes right on four weeks so that will clear up the mystery. From what I have read of your post they dont have any hair except whiskers? Do they have their dark skin pigment yet or are they pink? Stacey

I posted a question on another board but didn't get a reply. I need an age timeline for flying squirrel (S.C) they are an 1.5 long (body) have whiskers and are beginning to get hair. They also have top and bottom teeth. I got them Friday and they are eating and pooping great. I just need a guesstimate age. I also had a grey brought to me that was half grown but don't know his history and he passed. He came in clicking and I started amox but he was so sick. Everything offered was blown back out of his nose?? Even the amox. He wanted so badly to eat but just kept blowing it out. I would really like to know what was wrong? I know he was on the ground for several hours before I got him. He was also covered in fleas. I tried my hardest to save him but in the end I lost. Anyone who knows what went wrong please let me know. And my last question is how rare is rabies in squirrels??? Thanks Tanya

nutz4squirls
09-17-2006, 08:33 PM
Their have been some upper respiratory problems going on with some squirrels that are coming in very sick, one of which is bordatella. He could have had something else other than pneumonia. Did he have yellow fly eggs on him or hatched maggots? This is the time of year when they also come in maggot infested, had he gotten any internally, like down his throat than that could have also been a problem. Also West nile virus is here now. Could have been alot of things. Hard to say without a necropsy. As far as rabies, it is extremely rare for squirrels to become rabid. Haven't had a single case in Ct. Usually what ever bites the squirrel that is rabid, kills the squirrel with the bite. Nutz

missalpo
09-17-2006, 09:24 PM
:D Thanks....My babies do have the gray pigment, and they have a fine hair on the heads..Back to my grey I'm unfamiliar with his history, the court house in my home called me Friday and I picked him up. He was so infested with fleas it was pitifull. I gave him a warm bath with (Lemon Joy) and he was hungry and fed without to much problem the 1st time. I put him on a heating pad and it went down hill. He was fully haired and eyes open very alert, so I had a great feeling about rehabing him...But I did try...But I just feel like crap cause I feel like he suffered..But anywho my 2 bundles of joy will take up where he left off...Oh yeah stupid question but they both have a little ball the size of a pen head in between the back legs. Would that mean they were boys or girls.. I'm guessing boys, the pee out of it...But I'm more use to greys and they have a long winky a little higher up...So shed some light on the backwood country rehabber...LOL And again will post pics ASAP...

muffinsquirrel
09-17-2006, 10:50 PM
Hi again. I'll send you back to NFSA for sexing flyer babies....just a different thread.

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=80

NFSA (National Flying Squirrel Association) specializes in nothing but flyers, so there is a lot of detailed information there. I moderate on both boards, and constantly learn something new from each board, so I am not trying to take anything away from the Squirrel Board when I send someone to NFSA for more detailed information.

muffinsquirrel

SQUIRRELMOM
09-18-2006, 11:07 AM
could be the crud.. new string of virus i believe. there is only one anti biotic that works.. there nose has stringing snot thats think comes out.

darrakm
09-18-2006, 07:38 PM
For aging a flying squirrel pup, try this link on NFSA:
http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1966&highlight=aging

It show pups from 3 days to 3 months. Hope that helps.

missalpo
09-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Okay Here We Are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup

adams29303
10-09-2006, 10:00 AM
My sister just found a flyer the other night & brought him to me. I have successuly raised several squirrels but i don't know a think about flyers. can you give help me with a formula recipe? I've tried the scaled milk formula, no luck. I have put pieces of apple, pecans, bread, sunflower seeds in his cage but no luck.

I called a rehab place this morning and the lady wanted me to meet her in a shopping mall and just had him over. (Something just didn't add up, so NO WAY) If I can't get him to eat today I will have to try another rehaber, but I really would like to keep him. I'm willing to make adjustments, after all raising baby gray squirrel is no picnic. (But well worth it) I have one now Mr. Wiggles how is just wonderful.

Any help would be much appreciated. HELP!!!

adams29303
10-09-2006, 10:01 AM
My sister just found a flyer the other night & brought him to me. I have successuly raised several squirrels but i don't know a thing about flyers. Can someone give me a formula recipe? I've tried the scaled milk formula, no luck. I have put pieces of apple, pecans, bread, sunflower seeds in his cage but no luck.

I called a rehab place this morning and the lady wanted me to meet her in a shopping mall and just had him over. (Something just didn't add up, so NO WAY) If I can't get him to eat today I will have to try another rehaber, but I really would like to keep him. I'm willing to make adjustments, after all raising baby gray squirrel is no picnic. (But well worth it) I have one now Mr. Wiggles how is just wonderful.

Any help would be much appreciated. HELP!!!

Secret Squirrel
10-09-2006, 05:25 PM
Where in SC are you?? How is the baby doing?? I maybe able to help if you are close to me in SC.