PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine practices?

Legomom
05-13-2009, 09:14 AM
I've been thinking about our Wally & Marty (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17052) & how they came to us looking fine, chilled, but seemingly healthy. Then, 24 hours later...BOOM! Bumps all over their bodies! They were always kept in a seperate box from Nuudge. We washed well, but Nuudge would often be handled & fed shortly after them. So, I'm wondering...what if the spots had been something contagious? I shudder just thinking about it.

Which leads me to my question...what kind of procedures or practices do others use when getting a new squirrel? Do you quarantine? For how long? In the same space or a separate space? What do you do, besides asses the squirrel, when a newbie arrives & you have others that you are caring for?

Maybe we could put together a suggested quarantine protocol for others (and myself) to use as a guideline. I know that it would help me. :thankyou

Anne
05-13-2009, 04:42 PM
I have been thinking alone the same lines, Legomom. I have a huge pond of Koi fish. The Koi Clubs of America guide lines is to quarantine for 5/6 weeks when the water is warm, longer in cold water. Koi herpes virus is want we are all afraid of, and it will appear in warm water in usually a few weeks. There is no cure/or real treatment for the virus yet. And any fish that is positive must be put down immediately.
Maybe it makes sense to quarantine our squirrels too. JMHO.

Loopy Squirrel
05-13-2009, 06:57 PM
According to the National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association a seven day quarantine is what we are supposed to do. I have to admit that with babies I don't always practice this. I try to wait at least 3-4 days. Usually if they have something it will show within that time frame but that isn't always a quarantee. I was recently talking with the wildlife vet I use and she thinks that it wouldn't be a bad idea to deworm and deflea all incoming babies as a precautionary measure. During the diarrhea outbreak last season each group of babies had their own containers, their own syringes & nipples, and I disinfected by soaking all items in diluted Nolvasan. It got so bad that I even started to use the disposable puppy training pads as a bib during feedings so I could just change that instead of my shirt everytime. I think that the main way viruses and bacteria are spread is through sharing nursing items and what we have on our clothes as we move from animal to animal. Lets face it, babies pee and poop on us all the time.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
05-13-2009, 07:10 PM
I always keep my squirrels separate for at least 3 days, longer if they are sick when they come in. With bunnies, I wait a week and really avoid mixing them at all. If I get in 6 animals in one day or something though, I put them all together even if they are from different litters.

Jackie in Tampa
05-14-2009, 03:04 AM
I have been lax and will immediately start being cautious. Thanks for the reminder Shanon.
Florida seems to have more issues. With that in mind, and not knowing the incubation period for the pox virus, I am going to quaruntine all sqs for minimum 10 days.
I recently talked to vet about fleas....and agree that they can carry too much BAD STUFF and defleaing will be part of my protocol too.
Gee, on tuesday I talked to vet about her perfered DE fleaing methods and she shared her info on Revolution and Frontline, on wednesday FOX News covered warnings on these type of products...EEK!
I am thinking that pox virus is carried by fleas as well as mosquitoes...so be careful. However your other pets cannot get sq pox from any flea, it is species specific, but sq fleas will thrive on any mammel. Not every sq flea is a carrier, and it is not just in Florida.

Tomo
05-14-2009, 08:17 AM
I think it depends upon what you're quanantining for? New babies showing no known signs if any issues may not need to be quarantined, but may need rest away from well rested babies already in your care. Any baby that needs hydration should be kept separate until fully hydrated so not to exhaust it's resources interacting with others. 7 days would work for intestinal issues and/or minor injuries, once treatement has begun, but if it's mange or anything else, longer times are required -sometimes with mange you should quarantine for 30 days or until you see the soars (if any) are gone and they stop loosing hair. But with well babies, the sooner they bond to each other the better their chances at release time. :)

jvillereptile
05-14-2009, 08:23 AM
i always quarintine my animals anywhere from 30 to 60 days sometimes more. since i work with more exotic like reptiles and small mammals. i always take care of the healthy animals first and then the quarintined animals after washing my hand and changing cloths. this will help prevent any transfer of parasite internal and external to the rest of your animals. i bleach and sanitize every cage before placeig a new animal into it. my quarintine animals are kept in a seperate room away from the rest. where with reptiles i do fecal examines and treat for internal parasites. my mammal i keep a close watch on them make sure they are eating and pooping right and not losing weight.