PDA

View Full Version : FLOWERING HEDGE...OK TO FEED? pics

TinyPaws
05-11-2009, 03:26 PM
I took these pictures of this hedge growing along the chain fence and need to know if it is safe to feed to Timothy.....

Ardilla
05-11-2009, 03:41 PM
It looks like jasmine, which is toxic.

Anne
05-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Looks like a ligustrum (Privet) to me. It has small white flowers in the spring, replaced with green berries in summer. It is poisonous to horses. You did say it was a bush/hedge? Don't think I would feed it to a squirrel.

punkin'smama
05-11-2009, 06:16 PM
I think it is honeysuckle.

Secret Squirrel
05-11-2009, 06:32 PM
Funny....I did a google search images on both jasmine and honeysuckle and there were too many pictures but nothing that looked exactly like the plants in questions flower or leaf structure.

So to be on the safe side....don't feed it to your squirrel.
Now on the other hand....because there is always a different story somewhere!!!!! :tilt If you see squirrels eating the bush or flowers then it's OK for them....still don't feed it to your squirrel. It may make them want to break out during the night!!!! :injail

Error on the side of caution to be safe. Oak trees, Maple trees are a pretty safe standard.

TinyPaws
05-12-2009, 05:12 AM
I know it's not honeysuckle because it does not have a sweet smell...rather it's scent is sort of unpleasant to the nose....

But yes, it looks like a big overgrown bush...kind of like a lilac bush grows...I'll post a picture later of the whole bush....

TinyPaws
05-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Here is a picture of the entire bush/hedge..

BHO
05-12-2009, 06:16 PM
the flowers look like honey suckle but leaves looks a little like jasmine. I agree if in doubt best not to feed.
According to this link, jasmine are edible but as you know there are many varieties.

Roses a safe best. Maple flowers too. Apple blossoms as well

http://www.answers.com/topic/edible-flowers-1

gs1
05-12-2009, 09:08 PM
well looks like my honeysuckle too ..will post picture .. when i can get my camera to work... but, i wouldn't feed either ....too many unknowns...

and mine doesn't smell either.... but mine is not in flower you are ahead by several weeks....even though we both get yucky weather .. in the winter...

TinyPaws
05-12-2009, 09:45 PM
I always though honeysuckle had a sweet smell....but I guess it depends on the variety....Roses a must..Timothy's rose bush has buds on it...so soon he'll have a sweet snack.....

Secret Squirrel
05-13-2009, 11:15 AM
I always though honeysuckle had a sweet smell....but I guess it depends on the variety....Roses a must..Timothy's rose bush has buds on it...so soon he'll have a sweet snack.....

Roses are good as long as they are not sprayed with fungicide or insect killers. I don't usually feed my pre release kids flowers except budding branches with flowers. I only have Plum trees that will produce soft juicy branches and tender leaves in early spring. However, my hubby decide to get a lawn/tree service so now I can't give them those sprayed branches anymore. Dang it !!!
The wild squirrels still ate them this spring and they are still healthy. Keeping fingers crossed.
:grouphug

TinyPaws
05-13-2009, 02:03 PM
SS....Timothy's rose bush has never been treated and I don't treat my lawn, not even furtilizer.....In fact I am looking into maybe replacing most of the grass with Dutch Clover....less to maintain....won't need to pay anyone to mow my yard.....I just need someone who can dig up the existing grass...I will do it in sections of course....

Romeo loves clover, so that's what gave me the idea...I'll still have grass though for Romeo but in a small section of the yard.....