PDA

View Full Version : TSB Locator Map Idea

Murphy's Owner
05-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Hello all,

Thought this might be a good idea, what do you all think? A custom Google Map with our (general) locations, as well as contact info to be able to find the closest help in case of a squirrel emergency.

I think you can edit the map, if not you can send me your info to update it.

The Squirrel Board Locator Map (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=111232223887173027433.000469980a5017e91f95c&ll=28.855161,-81.669703&spn=0.025259,0.05579&z=15)

EDIT: If you'd like me to add your info, please give me the following:

TSB Name, Location (as specific as you want it), any relevant contact info, and perhaps a short description. You can either post here or PM me and I will add you to the map!!

4skwerlz
05-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Fantastic idea!:thumbsup

lillysmom
05-10-2009, 07:42 PM
love it..

JLM27
05-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Go for it! I think it is a terrific idea. So often people here are trying to explain where they are and find out who is the closest rehabber etc. and Google Earth would make it so simple. How did you learn how to do a custom Google map?

Murphy's Owner
05-10-2009, 08:29 PM
Go for it! I think it is a terrific idea. So often people here are trying to explain where they are and find out who is the closest rehabber etc. and Google Earth would make it so simple. How did you learn how to do a custom Google map?

Hehe, we all bring different talents to the board ;)

I've known how to add layers to maps for quite some time, it's not difficult at all now that Google's opened up the maps for public use.

Just remember I won't add anyone unless I get permission, to maintain privacy.

merman
05-11-2009, 04:21 AM
Or.. In non friendly states, location can be marked maybe without names.. and names can be kept in a separate place accessible by admins only..
just writing whatever comes to my mind now..

:wave123

Hehe, we all bring different talents to the board ;)

I've known how to add layers to maps for quite some time, it's not difficult at all now that Google's opened up the maps for public use.

Just remember I won't add anyone unless I get permission, to maintain privacy.

Murphy's Owner
05-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Right, I had the same idea as you, perhaps just your forum name and a City location.

I envision someone posting "I have a life-threatening situation and I live in XXXXX. ." One of us could access the map and say: "We have 2 people that can help nearby, one is 45 min SW and another is 2 hrs North." Of course, it only works if enough of us add our info :)

Using forum names keeps identities protected but if you've noticed I added my email address to the description on my point (in case someone emails me directly). Again, entirely up to individuals how you want to use this.

mjs

Mookie's Mom
05-11-2009, 02:51 PM
What a wonderful idea!!!!! I'm more visual, so seeing a map helps me so much more than having a town name and having to look it up! I'm not that good in geography so seeing a map of the locations would be awesome. I'm sure many people are like me! :thumbsup

Legomom
05-11-2009, 04:46 PM
How do we add ourselves?

Murphy's Owner
05-12-2009, 06:44 AM
How do we add ourselves?

You have to have a Google account (free, I have one). . .or PM me with what info you want and I'll be happy to add you