PDA

View Full Version : injured squirrel....please help

cpietra16
09-15-2006, 02:43 PM
New and don't know anything about squirrels so bear with me. On my way to work yesterday found a squirrel on the road, hit by a car, no doubt. as usual I gt out of my car so that I can atleast put him on some grass. To my surprise he was alive. I brought him to a lady who looks after abandoned squirrels and to make a long story short; after 30 hrshe's stillalive, can't walk, can sit but his head stays down. There was blood in his ear yesterday but nothing else...I have callso many vets and not one wants to see him or euthanize him....Does anyone on this forum knoe of any vets in Montreal, Canada who may be able to help me. He is eating and drinking, but can't move...

Critter_Queen
09-15-2006, 02:56 PM
That is a tough one. Sounds like he has spinal injuries since he can't hold up his head. Have you called this rehabber? http://www.wildlife-international.org/EN/public/emergency/rehabresults.cfm?Specialties=Mammals&Country=CA&Prov=&City=Montreal&Submit=Search

Usually a rehabber has a vet they work with or will at least be able to euthanize him or give you advice.

Good luck...the poor thing...

cpietra16
09-15-2006, 03:01 PM
I tried calling, but no answer...I have a friend who rehabs birds, and she said she would put it to sleep for me, but I want to make sure there really isn't much left to help. He is better today than he was yesterday so I don't know if this is a slow progress or its as far as it goes....

Critter_Queen
09-15-2006, 03:05 PM
Realistically, how bad is he? Can he lift his head at all? Is that improving? Is he trying to crawl?

I had a raccoon once that was HBC...couldn't move, eat, nothing when we brought him home...but after about five weeks he was strong enough that he released himself from his outdoor enclosure and took off..

I was told to put myself in his shoes if possible. If I am very ill, but getting just a TAD BIT better every day, and am not in horrible pain, would I want to try to survive? If I'm wild, you bet. BUT, if I'm not really getting any BETTER, just less sore with the passing days, would I want to remain that way...no, probably not.

Try the email address listed for that rehabber...maybe there is no answer cuz they're on the Net? Did you leave a message? I know I don't answer my phone unless I know who's calling.

Keep me posted!

cpietra16
09-15-2006, 03:10 PM
The number that's on the net does not work. I don't know enough about squirrel to know if he can make a full recovery. I can't get any vet to see him. One said they would euthanize him, but that's all they could do...I know he can't seem to keep his head up. He tries to sit but his head just does not want to stay up...is there anyone else in my area that I can call.

Critter_Queen
09-15-2006, 03:12 PM
That was the only one listed on the resource I have.

You know, if he can't hold his head up, he's probably got some pretty bad damage. I would seriously consider taking your friend up on euthanizing him. Sometimes it's better for them not to have to suffer if they can't recover.

I'll see if I can dig up any more information for you...

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-15-2006, 03:13 PM
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contactI.htm
found this

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-15-2006, 03:15 PM
you said he will eat & drink for you?

Critter_Queen
09-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Just what I was going to post! Good job!! :thumbsup There are several other rehabbers listed in Quebec, though I know it's a large place, hopefully someone will at least speak with you one the phone!

Let us know how this goes, ok?

cpietra16
09-15-2006, 03:16 PM
yes he drinks and is eating, but sleeps alot too

cpietra16
09-15-2006, 03:17 PM
I tried all those numbers and the only person that will help is the Bird lady who can only euthanize, becasue she doesn'y knoe enough about squirrels

Critter_Queen
09-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Then I think you have two options. Euthanize him, or wait and see what happens. You have to try to decide to do what is in his best interests. Even when you don't know about squirrels, you should be able to make a reasonable guess as to whether or not he will fully recover. If he won't, are you willing to keep him (and all that entails) or will you euthanize him? If you think he will, and doesn't, are you prepared to euthanize him?

It's tough when they have bad physical injuries... Did the other rehabbers tell you why they won't take him or help you? That's not very nice!! :nono

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-15-2006, 04:06 PM
You could wait a couple days & see how he does, but you will need the proper food for him.
Also if you do decide to wait, & then end up having to put him to sleep its going to be more painful. But look at it this way you gave him a happy last couple days of his life. Do you think he is in pain? If you dont I would wait. If you do dont make him suffer. Its the only compassion you can show at that point.

cpietra16
09-15-2006, 04:09 PM
They only people that will help are the bird lady and another squirrel lady who just knows how to deal with babies...

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Just hang on a little bit untill one of the rehabbers see's this post.
You will get somemore advice. Its Friday & people usually have errands to do after work ect..just hold on a little bit.
Does he seem to be in a lot of pain?
I dont want to sound negative but of the cases I have heard like this here they sometimes pass away. So brace yourself. But like I said wait for advice

island rehabber
09-15-2006, 07:51 PM
They only people that will help are the bird lady and another squirrel lady who just knows how to deal with babies...

This is a very tough problem because this squirrel needs to be X-rayed by a qualified wildife vet in order to determine whether there is paralysis and if it's temporary or permanent. Squirrels can make amazing recoveries, but I must repeat what was posted already, that often in this scenario the squirrel doesn't make it and dies after a day or so. Will the squirrel lady be willing to refer you to the vet she uses? If you offer to pay for it that vet may X-ray him and at least give you some idea of his prognosis.
Cpietra, the only thing I can tell you is what I would do in your situation: wait another 24-36 hours and see if the slight improvement continues. If it does, try like anything to get him to a vet. Somewhere. If his condition worstens in any way, the thing to do is help him to pass away in comfort....at least you have that option at hand. Please keep us posted as to his progress and good luck.

cpietra16
09-15-2006, 07:51 PM
Update...the little squirrel was euthanized tonight at 7:15. I spoke to a neurologist and he was certain that this was brain damage and that he may lose sight in 1 eye...:shakehead He was in pain and I couldn't see this sweet little creature fighting to get up so I did what I thought was the right thing...thanks for your help, really appreciated it.

island rehabber
09-15-2006, 07:55 PM
Update...the little squirrel was euthanized tonight at 7:15. I spoke to a neurologist and he was certain that this was brain damage and that he may lose sight in 1 eye...:shakehead He was in pain and I couldn't see this sweet little creature fighting to get up so I did what I thought was the right thing...thanks for your help, really appreciated it.

I'm sure that was the right thing to do, especially with an expert opinion in hand. You're a beautiful person for caring about him and taking the time and effort to help him. :peace

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-15-2006, 08:00 PM
oh thank you, you are a wonderful person to spend your hard earned $ on a little animal suffering helplessly. I believe someday we will be repaid for these acts of kindness. :grouphug :thankyou I really didnt want to sign off of here tonight untill I heard something on his condition. RIP little one.