PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Strawberry Tree

digiandchipper
04-25-2009, 12:54 PM
I am considering buying and planting several of these trees....I first want to make sure the fuzzy friends can have them (since that is why I want to plant them:D )....does anyone know?

Chinese Strawberry Tree [Cudrania tricuspidata]

The Strawberry Tree is evergreen and grows up to 15' to 30' tall. Flowers are tiny, white, bell-shaped and pollinated by bees. The fruit is more mild tasting than a strawberry with a touch of mulberry. Fruit ripens from green to red and yellow. Strawberry Trees take a full year to become ripe and can be harvested when the following year's flowers begin to bloom.

:thankyou

4skwerlz
04-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Hmmm, interesting tree, actually a type of mulberry. I see no reference to any part of the tree being toxic to humans. But of course, these trees are not native to the U.S., only recently introduced to this country, so we can't be 100% sure whether squirrels will like them or if there would be any ill effects. They sound like wonderful trees, fast growing and with lots and lots of edible fruit similar to a mulberry. My only caveat with any fruit tree is to plant them AWAY from driveways, walkways, decks, or other areas of high traffic. IMO fruit trees are best planted as far away from your house as possible; in addition to the mess of fallen fruit there will be fruit flies, bees, and birds (which create their own mess) that will be attracted. Mowing underneath them can also sometimes be a problem. These trees sound like they produce a LOT of fruit.

Some of these trees require a male and a female in order to bear fruit; some are self-pollinating, so ask your nursery which variety you're buying.

digiandchipper
04-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Hmmm, interesting tree, actually a type of mulberry. I see no reference to any part of the tree being toxic to humans. But of course, these trees are not native to the U.S., only recently introduced to this country, so we can't be 100% sure whether squirrels will like them or if there would be any ill effects. They sound like wonderful trees, fast growing and with lots and lots of edible fruit similar to a mulberry. My only caveat with any fruit tree is to plant them AWAY from driveways, walkways, decks, or other areas of high traffic. IMO fruit trees are best planted as far away from your house as possible; in addition to the mess of fallen fruit there will be fruit flies, bees, and birds (which create their own mess) that will be attracted. Mowing underneath them can also sometimes be a problem. These trees sound like they produce a LOT of fruit.

Some of these trees require a male and a female in order to bear fruit; some are self-pollinating, so ask your nursery which variety you're buying.

Thanks, 4S... I will definitely ask about the self-pollinating before I buy. I was really hoping to plant something that would attract lots of wildlife, of course squirrels most especially:D ...I have pie-shaped lot and was looking for something in one of the back corners - yes! well away from driveways. Wouldn't that be a mess?

Well let you know if I get the tree(s)!
Thanks again!

gs1
04-26-2009, 01:17 AM
they sound great, i'd love one but they wouldn't grow up here.

all i can say is the squirrels love, love my mulberry tree - more than strawberries and cherries ... although ofcourse they'll always surprize me and love all three equally :sanp3

4swerlz ... great idea ... fruit trees away from paved areas!!!:D

FallensMommie
04-26-2009, 07:14 AM
Thanks, 4S... I will definitely ask about the self-pollinating before I buy. I was really hoping to plant something that would attract lots of wildlife, of course squirrels most especially:D ...I have pie-shaped lot and was looking for something in one of the back corners - yes! well away from driveways. Wouldn't that be a mess?

Well let you know if I get the tree(s)!
Thanks again!

Lori...where can you get a strawberry tree? I want one :jump

Also if you can get a mulberry tree...do! They look fabulous when they grow and the squirrels and painted buntings LOVE the fruit, which the tree bears fruit March/April.

digiandchipper
04-26-2009, 08:56 AM
Lori...where can you get a strawberry tree? I want one :jump

Also if you can get a mulberry tree...do! They look fabulous when they grow and the squirrels and painted buntings LOVE the fruit, which the tree bears fruit March/April.

:poke Teresa, did you not follow the link??:D :poke
I want a mulberry tree!!! How old/big do they have to be to start producing? Are they cheapcheap??

gs1
04-26-2009, 09:13 AM
I love my mulberry.

I don't think they're very expensive. Mine was free because the people before me in this house had tried to kill it and i let an interesting twig grow and there was a mulberry tree!!! (my neighbour said that it was at least 20 years old)

the tree is in shade for most of the day and competing with willows and maples - for water.

I think it is a beautiful tree. I think the leaves are even edible for rabbits but mine are usually covered in bird poop ..so....

I love the fruit too and there's more than enough - from a fairly small tree - for the birds, squirrels, me and the racoons....

there are several mulberries - really large trees, mediums etc.. and then the fruit can be large or medium depending on what you get. And there are fruitless mulberries for people that don't want the fruit. (which ofcourse you do :D )

One of my favourite things though ... if there was a favourite is that it is perfectly ok with shade .. not too much ofcourse ..but i think it is found in the wild at the edge of woods ...so it's not a fussy tree...

ok, i think i'll go outside and hug my tree...:D

digiandchipper
04-26-2009, 10:23 AM
I love my mulberry..........

ok, i think i'll go outside and hug my tree...:D

Hug :grouphug for me, too, please.....I have a 100% sun yard - NO SHADE!!!! Does that mean no mulberry???

FallensMommie
04-26-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm not sure how cheap cheap they are but if from a nursery it should start producing the next fruiting season.

Also what link...I don't see a link on my end...tinfoil

digiandchipper
04-26-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm not sure how cheap cheap they are but if from a nursery it should start producing the next fruiting season.

Also what link...I don't see a link on my end...tinfoil

:hidechair :sorry
Geezzz....am I stuck in the middle of the world's longest brain fart???

Here it is (I hope):
http://www.tytyga.com/product/Chinese+Strawberry+Tree

Anne
04-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Lori, I didn't see a link, in your post either. But I know we have a place here in Jacksonville that sells Mulberry trees and silk worms. I'll see if I can post a link,:D

Coastal Silkworms

8445 Spicewood Drive
Jacksonville, FL 32216

tel:(904) 247-6660
fax:(904) 727-2527

They are selling the weeping mulberry trees now.

digiandchipper
04-26-2009, 10:37 AM
Lori, I didn't see a link, in your post either. But I know we have a place here in Jacksonville that sells Mulberry trees and silk worms. I'll see if I can post a link,:D

Coastal Silkworms

8445 Spicewood Drive
Jacksonville, FL 32216

tel:(904) 247-6660
fax:(904) 727-2527

They are selling the weeping mulberry trees now.

Thanks Anne....I will call them....but I don't see a link:D :poke

Anne
04-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Haven't a clue where those sad faces came from!
Seeing the Strawberry tree ------- I want one too~:crazy :crazy

digiandchipper
04-26-2009, 10:48 AM
:crazy

Hurray, it's not just me!tinfoil tinfoil tinfoil

FallensMommie
04-26-2009, 12:36 PM
:hidechair :sorry
Geezzz....am I stuck in the middle of the world's longest brain fart???

Here it is (I hope):
http://www.tytyga.com/product/Chinese+Strawberry+Tree

Glad it's you and not me...I thought maybe you were pulling my leg for a second or my finger :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

FallensMommie
04-26-2009, 12:37 PM
Seeing the Strawberry tree ------- I want one too~:crazy :crazy

:rotfl you put the : ( together and it made a :(

Jackie in Tampa
04-26-2009, 12:45 PM
I was in SC and saw deer eating Strawberry tree fruit...to me they tasted like stawberry and watermelon...not bad and the tree I saw was about 30 feet tall. Very nice...I doubt they would do well in Tampa.
Mulberry will grow fast...they will grow anywhere, sun or shade!:wave123

4skwerlz
04-26-2009, 01:31 PM
I was in SC and saw deer eating Strawberry tree fruit...to me they tasted like stawberry and watermelon...not bad and the tree I saw was about 30 feet tall. Very nice...I doubt they would do well in Tampa.
Mulberry will grow fast...they will grow anywhere, sun or shade!:wave123

All fruit trees prefer full sun.

digiandchipper
04-26-2009, 02:29 PM
All fruit trees prefer full sun.

Good, cause I have a LOT of that:D
Now I will stop hoggin the nutrition section....maybe I will start a gardening thread over in off topic :wave123

Oh, and FM, I would NEVER pull your finger....you live with too many men, I know what you'd do!:rotfl