PDA

View Full Version : Shelled pumpkin seeds bad?

MsOakley
04-20-2009, 05:23 PM
I've heard that raw shelled pumpkin seeds are not a good choice but don't know why. Does anyone know why they would be harmful? Thanks in advance.

4skwerlz
04-20-2009, 05:56 PM
I've heard that raw shelled pumpkin seeds are not a good choice but don't know why. Does anyone know why they would be harmful? Thanks in advance.

The calcium/phosphorus ratio of most seeds and nuts improves when they're roasted--not sure why. Also, most of the phosphorus seems to be in the kernal, so of course the ratio once they're shelled out is much worse. So "raw, shelled" would have the worst calc/phos ratio. However, this is not a concern if your squirrel is on the "Healthy Diet" including the rodent block or squirrel block every day. In fact, they do need some phosphorus in their diet. The only nutrient that isn't supplemented in the blocks (the ones I sell) is phosphorus, since it is plentiful in the foods squirrel love to eat.

Whenever I eat squash, I save the seeds and toast them in the oven at low heat for Henry. Whole and toasted....he likes them that way best.

Like any food, moderation and variety are the key. I wouldn't feed them (or any food except blocks) every day.

Hope this helps.