PDA

View Full Version : Help in MN

Ratman
04-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Please help us .... we have had lucky (our squirrel)for a few months now. We need help on how to release him (her??). Lucky has pretty much been indoors since my husband found him. Lucky has been outside once and gets totally freeked out when he is out. When he is inside it seems like all he wants to do is get outside.

Please,Please,Please...anyone in the area can you help us?????

(BTW... Ratmans's wife wrote this)

4skwerlz
04-19-2009, 06:18 PM
There's lots of info here on how to do a release. It takes time but can be done, so don't panic. Some of our members have lots of experience with this, and one of them will be here very shortly to help you.
:Welcome to TSB!

pamela lee
04-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Are you wanting info on how YOU can go about releasing him or do you want someone in your area to take him and release him?

Ratman
04-19-2009, 06:42 PM
Well...Lucky just went outside and took off into the trees and now he is gone. .... He's a squrriel he will figure it out, won't he?? We will leave the window open so he can come in if he wants. Did we do the right thing?? To just let him go?

pamela lee
04-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Does he have a nestbox you can put up in the closest tree so he has somewhere familiar to sleep?

Tomo
04-19-2009, 06:57 PM
"Just letting them go" is absolutely not the way to release a squirrel when you plan to release them. There's been enough posts on this board regarding this topic. I'm sorry you were obviously unable to find any information. They take a while to get used to their surroundings; new sights, smells and sounds of outdoors. This is completely different and quite a frightening environment for a squirrel at first.

It's too late now to even try to explain what to do or how to do it. Just don't be surprised if he shows up at your door wanting to get back in. Leave food and water out for him or her (as you indicated you didn't know which) and maybe leave his nest box out as well, but put it up someplace high where it will be less prone to predators.

Sometimes they escape, think it's fun for a few hours, and then they are terrified when nightfall comes because they simply don't know what to do yet. They don't have a home to crawl into, they don't have food or water...how would you feel if you were a little prey animal suddenly in that situation? I know I'd be horrified! I bet you would too! Hopefully, you'll see your little Lucky soon and let all of us know that he/she is okay!

Sciurus1
04-19-2009, 08:17 PM
To answer your question, Ratman, in part it depends on how old the squirrel was, and I say in part, for even when releasing a juvenile squirrel at 6 months, though more mature than at 4 months, they still are not physically fit without having spent time in a release cage, which mimics their arboreal habitat, allowing them a place to climb and jump in safety, as they continue to mature and gain muscle and strength, before they are released to go it on their own in the wilds. Scientific Studies done on juvenile weaned squirrel's survival to adulthood, have consistently shown that just 50 percent of these juvenlles survive to first birthday. Sadly this is the part of rehabiliation of orphaned squirrels that so many fail to follow through with, either from not being aware of it being very crucial to support the juvenile squirrels survival after release, or from lack of time and/or resources to go the distance. This is why this board counsels those that have raised a squirrel that is weaned, an getting anxious to get outdoors, to take it to a local rehabber, so that the squirrel can be afforded the best chance to survive to maturity, through the completing this final phase of their rehabiliation back to the wild in the care of a knowledgable wildlife rehabber.

4skwerlz
04-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Probably Lucky will be back tomorrow morning, and you can either start a proper release process, or find someone who can. Poor lil feller, he'll probably be back for breakfast.:grouphug

Sciurus1
04-19-2009, 08:56 PM
It is a good possibility, so we can hope.

Pointy Tale
04-20-2009, 12:45 PM
This is so sad. Has anyone heard if this little Squirrel is OK. It is really sad to think he/she is all alone without help.

Buddy'sMom
04-20-2009, 01:30 PM
While it is definitely best to do a "Slow Release," you are not the first to have a squirrel escape or release itself. As mentioned, it will be helpful to leave food, water and nestbox outside -- and also something that smells like "Home" such as blankies from Lucky's box. And spend time outside talking and calling to him (yes, you will feel a bit awkward, but the sound of your voice may be a strong lure if he is sitting in a tree wanting to know the way back to safety).

Hopefully, Lucky will come back in the next day or two, and you can start on a slow release for him, or find someone who can. In the meantime, Lucky has very strong instincts for knowing how to survive. Not all of the skills, yet, but squirrels are very instinct-driven and know what to do in at least a rudimentary way.

Please let us know if you have any Lucky Sightings, even if he does not come back inside. And keep leaving food and water available to him -- even if you don't see him come for it.

:grouphug :Love_Icon :grouphug

Mrs.Rat
04-20-2009, 06:57 PM
While it is definitely best to do a "Slow Release," you are not the first to have a squirrel escape or release itself. As mentioned, it will be helpful to leave food, water and nestbox outside -- and also something that smells like "Home" such as blankies from Lucky's box. And spend time outside talking and calling to him (yes, you will feel a bit awkward, but the sound of your voice may be a strong lure if he is sitting in a tree wanting to know the way back to safety).

Hopefully, Lucky will come back in the next day or two, and you can start on a slow release for him, or find someone who can. In the meantime, Lucky has very strong instincts for knowing how to survive. Not all of the skills, yet, but squirrels are very instinct-driven and know what to do in at least a rudimentary way.

Please let us know if you have any Lucky Sightings, even if he does not come back inside. And keep leaving food and water available to him -- even if you don't see him come for it.

Thank you for your response..... from some of the other resposes I felt like we did something awful. Yes,slow release would be the best. He got out once before and just ended up running out the window into our garage. He wanted nothing to do with the outside. Yesterday he just took off into the trees (he looked like he was having fun) No confirmed sightings of our little Lucky yet...
but we have food & water out. My Husband is outside calling for him right now. We just really,really miss out little buddy.....I know there are things that we "should have done"....but what's done is done & we just pray that Lucky wiil be okay

4skwerlz
04-20-2009, 08:10 PM
Thank you for your response..... from some of the other resposes I felt like we did something awful. Yes,slow release would be the best. He got out once before and just ended up running out the window into our garage. He wanted nothing to do with the outside. Yesterday he just took off into the trees (he looked like he was having fun) No confirmed sightings of our little Lucky yet...
but we have food & water out. My Husband is outside calling for him right now. We just really,really miss out little buddy.....I know there are things that we "should have done"....but what's done is done & we just pray that Lucky wiil be okay

Of course you didn't know any better.:grouphug Folks are just upset thinking about poor Lucky out there by himself and maybe confused and lost. Do keep calling for him and keep food and water out there like you're doing. Hoping for a Lucky sighting tomorrow. Please keep us posted.

Ontario Rehabber
04-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Any Lucky sightings yet? I do hope so, poor little one. Keep everything out there for him - food-water-nestbox, it may take a couple of days for him to find his way back.

Mrs.Rat
04-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Guess who's back!!! :jump I found Lucky a little past dark clinging to our deck door screen. I ran and called my hubby (Lucky has always liked him better) We let him in and now he is happy & safe :flash3 Okay now anyone in the Twin Cities area who can help us get him back outside safely??
We are soooo happy our little baby is back...and he is pretty happy too!

4skwerlz
04-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Guess who's back!!! :jump I found Lucky a little past dark clinging to our deck door screen. I ran and called my hubby (Lucky has always liked him better) We let him in and now he is happy & safe :flash3 Okay now anyone in the Twin Cities area who can help us get him back outside safely??
We are soooo happy our little baby is back...and he is pretty happy too!

Oh thank goodness!:thumbsup Now take your time and find somebody good to help do a slow release for Lucky....unless he decides the outside is too scary and he'd rather stay home from now on.:D

Buddy'sMom
04-21-2009, 09:57 PM
:wahoo :wahoo That's fantastic news!! :wahoo :wahoo Lucky knew where to come for love and support when he had enough of his little adventure. :Love_Icon I know Mom and Dad are very relieved!! :multi :multi

I am not aware of other members in your area. But if you go to this link http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23 you will find several lists by state. They aren't all up-to-date but some of the rehabbers listed should be current. Post #1, #5, #12, and #15 each have links to lists. Even someone who is not in your part of the state may be able to give you a contact that is closer to you.

Hope this is helpful! Let us know if you find someone (OR if you don't -- some of our rehabbers may have other resources to check). Alternatively, if you want to (slow:D ) release him yourself, we can help you learn about that.

SO GLAD he came back home!! :crazy

FLUFFYTAILNUT
04-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Oh my word...Mr & Mrs Rat Man..
So..happy LUCKY is back...:grouphug
I bet he is sleeping and happy to have his servants waiting on him...
I hope all the best with his "Slow,soft... release"....:thumbsup

Ive been saying some prayers for him to come home safely...:thumbsup :D

Rachel n Bean..
PS,
Those of you that sent those links...:thumbsup and encouraging words...
This is what tsb is all about...helping the squirrel in need..and being helpful....to the human parents...another proud tsb moment...:bowdown :Love_Icon

Mrs.Rat
04-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Lucky is safe & back in his cage now.:wott He was very hungry & thirsty. Nope, no more big adventures for him until we can do it properly. We have had him for 7 months....and we know that he is to used to the domesticated life.,but He needs to get back outside.

Mrs.Rat
04-21-2009, 11:18 PM
Oh my word...Mr & Mrs Rat Man..
So..happy LUCKY is back...:grouphug
I bet he is sleeping and happy to have his servants waiting on him...
I hope all the best with his "Slow,soft... release"....:thumbsup

Ive been saying some prayers for him to come home safely...:thumbsup :D

Rachel n Bean..
PS,
Those of you that sent those links...:thumbsup and encouraging words...
This is what tsb is all about...helping the squirrel in need..and being helpful....to the human parents...another proud tsb moment...:bowdown :Love_Icon

Thank you so much for the prayers .....They have brought back our Lucky!

FLUFFYTAILNUT
04-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Thank you so much for the prayers .....They have brought back our Lucky!
Oh my word...you are so welcome..
I know you are looking at your sweet little LUCKY watching him sleep all curled up..and thankful he's home ....
I am and many others are so..happy for you...
They are....like children...I know..
I am so greatful..for mine..(Bean) he is my 3rd child...
The other two...I gave birth to..and are skinned..:D
My furry little son..:grouphug (Bean):D

Sleep well...and hope and pray for the easiest...soft, slow~ release possible...that is the best..for your little fuzzy child..:Love_Icon

Rachel & Bean:grouphug :wave123

Ontario Rehabber
04-22-2009, 08:11 AM
Great news:thumbsup Lucky back home comfy with Mommie and Daddie. He's probably exhausted from his little adventure. I'm sure he'll think twice before trying that again. We will help in any way we can with the soft release.

Ratman
04-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Thank you to everybody for your kind words and support. Lucky is still sleeping, poor little guy musn't have slept much during his outdoor excursion.
He has plenty of food and water when he wakes up :D

Sciurus1
04-22-2009, 10:11 PM
I am very glad that your squirrel returned. Sometimes they are sneaky and get out, being so quick, but he did have the good sense o return to home, and that is a blessing. If you should want to do the release yourself, check out some of the examples of release cages others here have made for the squirrels they have raised and released. .:thumbsup

Ratman
05-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Lucky update:
After Lucky took off for those 2 days he wasn't so interested in going out again but after a week or so he started running outside around our deck and eventually up into the trees.
He always came home at night and went right into his cage to eat then sleep.
He has slowly been getting used to the outdoors and is at that "wild" stage where he doesn't want much to do with me and spends most of his time outside. I think he's just about ready to take off on his own :)

Thanks again for all the support!!!!! :thankyou

Ontario Rehabber
05-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Do you have a release nest box for him to be able to stay in outside?

Ratman
05-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Do you have a release nest box for him to be able to stay in outside?

Yes, but he HATES it and only wants to go back inside to his cage at night, any suggestions????

island rehabber
05-17-2009, 07:05 AM
Have patience, Ratman. He will eventually build himself something out there and want to sleep in it at night, but it may take a few weeks. I know up at Tomo's Tree House sanctuary there have been a few squirrels whose entire release process took months: from the enclosure to the enclosed deck.....to the enclosure again.....then back to the deck....then a tree....then back to the TOP of the enclosures :sanp3 :D

Jackie in Tampa
05-17-2009, 07:11 AM
One sq comes to mind when I read this....Spice, the non releasable release!:rotfl
I am patient and know...she will get with the program eventually!
They must be distant cousins!:rotfl
Hang in there RM, he'll get it together!:D

Ratman
05-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the help :)
Question for all of you: Should I remove all food from his indoor cage?

Ratman
05-27-2009, 09:12 PM
SUCCESS! After weeks of trying to get Lucky back into the wild I can now safely report Lucky is part of the "Tree Gang" again.

Though my heart is torn, losing my little play buddy but knowing the wild is where he belongs I can proudly say he knows how to survive outdoors and usually greets me on the deck in the morning looking for peanuts.

The sad part is yet to come, tearing apart his massive cage in our basement and putting it away for another squirrel to bless our lives....and I'm sure I will find another little guy or gal on my mail route over time.

Thanks again to everybody on the Squirrel Board for all the help...and I still make Squirrel Wind Vanes in case anybody wants one, just PM me :)

tatcat
05-27-2009, 10:03 PM
that is awesome news...:grouphug

Ontario Rehabber
05-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Sounds like a nice slow soft release! Glad he comes back for morning coffee visits.

Ratman
05-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Sounds like a nice slow soft release! Glad he comes back for morning coffee visits.

And he stops by for the cocktail :Drink hour in the afternoon too...he comes and hangs on our screen door......the other night I left it a bit open and he ran back into the house! lol but he ran back out as quick as he came in.

Very happy Lucky is a tree dwelling squirrel again :) I'm going to search the woods out back and try to see where he built his nest......I have to send him a house warming present :squirrel1