PDA

View Full Version : Still Clicking?

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Do you think it would be ok to give a kitten dose of Albon to my little girl squirrel?
The same girl who gave me the scare in todays post?
Shes definitly clicking, albon is what I have on hand!

SQUIRRELMOM
09-13-2006, 06:14 PM
im not sure of albon but anything kitten related should work,if for uti will not work, it would have to be one for upper respiratory. batril is the best . 0.01 cc

GhosTS
09-13-2006, 09:41 PM
A drug dosage is measured by weight.(Or by Kitten dose you meant mg/lb that you give for a kitten )Did you try amoxillin.Batril is good too.Best is to ask a vet for the dosage.I dont know about Albon doses.

Suro
09-14-2006, 05:06 AM
Seriously - go for Amox LA not Baytril - i will post why asap (see the other thread) But we were warned about not using it.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-14-2006, 06:32 AM
Last night I gave her a small dose of the albon this morning she ate about 2 pine nuts and a very tiny corner of a sweet potato
She wont drink I had to force (we all know how you can force a squirrel to do anything) 2 CC of formula, then later I gave her some pedialite..she seems very weak? I just dont know but I dont like where this is going.
Yesterday morning she was full of life running..
She isnt making any sounds when she breathes now so I dont know what to do about giving any more antibiotics? She still wants to be in the top of my closet, I have seperated the other 2 from her..her brother just wants to annoy her.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-14-2006, 07:17 AM
Update:
about 20 minutes after I gave her the pedialite she started moving around, so I put her brother with her that seemed to brighten her up, and they are playing so thats a good sign to me.

snakegetters
09-15-2006, 09:02 PM
Do you think it would be ok to give a kitten dose of Albon to my little girl squirrel?
The same girl who gave me the scare in todays post?
Shes definitly clicking, albon is what I have on hand!

Carnivores and small herbivores may not have the same pharmacokinetics and may need very different drug dosages and timing. I would strongly recommend looking up the squirrel specific dose of sulfadimethoxine in the standard Carpenter exotic animal drug dosage manual.

Sulfadimethoxine is an anticoccidial drug as well as an antibiotic and may have nephrotoxic (kidney damaging) side effects. Keep your patient well hydrated (drinking a lot of water) while they are on Albon, and calculate the dose as accurately as possible based on their body weight in grams since the side effects will be worse if an overdose is given.

If I was sticking around on this board, I'd bring the Carpenter manual home from the clinic and post squirrel specific dosages. Here's a link to where you can get a copy: http://www.fetchbook.info/fwd_description/search_0721601804.html

nutz4squirls
09-16-2006, 09:28 AM
How is this squirrel this morning? nutz

nutz4squirls
09-16-2006, 09:29 AM
How old is this squirrel and do you have an idea on her weight? nutz

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-16-2006, 09:50 AM
She is approx 10 weeks. She's better now after 1 dose it stopped. It seemed to be a combination of being frightened that day she may have took in to much formula, then couldnt breathe right.
The next day (yesterday) she was wonderful full of life, do you have any suggestions for me?

nutz4squirls
09-16-2006, 10:12 AM
At this time I would just keep an eye on her. Aspiration pneumonia (sp) isn't usually an issue at 10 weeks of age. What kind of diet is she on? Nutz

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-16-2006, 10:28 AM
Well they ar down to only wanting 1 feeding of the Esbillac daily, but I think the siguation that day could of had something to do with what happened?
She had been in my room & it was a very windy day outside (had the window cracked open for freash air for them)I didnt have any idea she was getting tramatized by the door (bathroom) squeaking from the wind.
I am not sure if when she ate she just inhaled that formula or what happened there but right afterwards I heard rattleing, I knew something wasnt right?
She just wouldnt move?
Wouldnt hold up her head ..nothing?
Very odd that they all happened together?
Shes back to her old self, head ring leader of the romp!
But I am still watching her carefully.

snakegetters
09-16-2006, 02:19 PM
She is approx 10 weeks. She's better now after 1 dose it stopped. It seemed to be a combination of being frightened that day she may have took in to much formula, then couldnt breathe right.
The next day (yesterday) she was wonderful full of life, do you have any suggestions for me?

I am concerned about giving one dose of an antibiotic drug and stopping, regardless of the symptoms it is or isn't showing. That can have some really ugly side effects that won't be immediately apparent.

Overdosing on Albon can have some ugly side effects too, so please be careful with this drug.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-16-2006, 03:19 PM
Thank you snake I gave it to her only after getting the proper dosage. By the way I dont know if I am going to get that info on my turtle to you today, I have a pile of work here to do & must work tonight, I will get it a.s.a.p.
Thanks again.

snakegetters
09-16-2006, 03:39 PM
Thank you snake I gave it to her only after getting the proper dosage.

Couple things about dosing little mammals:

1. Syringe volume is a serious factor. Some of the drug can be left in the syringe if you don't pre-load with water, LRS or another neutral fluid to "push" the drug which you load in the front part of the syringe.

2. Proper dosing is not just a single amount, it is an amount plus how it is administered plus how often you give it plus how many doses you must give. It would be written like this usually:

Ceftazidime in reptiles: 20mg/kg IM q72h X6-8

That translates to 20 milligrams of drug for every kilo of body weight, administered as intramuscular injection every 72 hours, repeated 6 to 8 times.

My vet manuals are at the clinic and I am not, so I don't have the Albon schedule for squirrels in front of me. But it should be written like that if you can find it, or your vet will explain it. I don't think a single dose could be correct, but I could be wrong since I really don't know much about small mammal drug doses. Check with your vet to be sure.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-16-2006, 03:51 PM
I cant ask my vet it was not prescribbed for my squirrel but for my cat.
They wont tell me over the phone something like that. They are starting to get precautious. Its against the law in Pa to even have them. The only reason I do is because the tree that their nest was in was cut down my daughters bf removed the nest from the tree first. They didnt know the mother was inside the tree and it fell on her as she was trying to escape.
He said there is only 1 other man at work who takes precaution watching for babies ect in the trees. The others could care less. Somedays I dislike the guy somedays I think there is good in him.
Anyway thats a whole other story. Thats how I ended up with mine and baby Preston was found laying in the same yard pinkish purple dehydrated he must have layed there sometime. He isnt related to the other 2.
I have no rehabbing licence, I am just trying to help these guys get a good start in life.

I used this same antibiotic last year on my other little girl squirrel in the picture she was clicking for 2 days, I was going out of my mind I didnt know this place exsisted, I knew something was wrong I asked the vet if I could give it to her then they said yes they wouldnt tell me the dose since it was given to me for my cat.
If I go in and talk to them they are much better about things.
So I took it upon myself I had to do it on my own if she died I had myself to blame I gave the baby a few drops of it, she at this point wouldnt eat anymore.
After the first day of giving it she was much better.
I knew with this squirrel I could give it I just wanted to try & find a dossage &someone helped me out.

snakegetters
09-16-2006, 04:27 PM
Fudge. I really need to bring the Carpenter manual home. I can't find a dosage or dosage schedule on the Internet for Albon in squirrels, and this isn't a species I have worked with so I don't have it memorized.

Anybody else have the dosage handy? The veterinary nurse who's been yelling at me for being a cold blooded repile on my introduction thread maybe? How about some help for this little guy here? I'm not scheduled back at the clinic until tomorrow.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-16-2006, 04:45 PM
snakegetters, I dont need it anymore thanks anyway. Somebody helped me with it.
If you have that info at work you may want to bring it home as I am sure I wont be the last stranded person on this board.
Things are good here at the moment!

Suro
09-18-2006, 05:27 AM
Anybody else have the dosage handy? The veterinary nurse who's been yelling at me for being a cold blooded repile on my introduction thread maybe? (PS - I never called you that! :p) How about some help for this little guy here? I'm not scheduled back at the clinic until tomorrow.

We don't use Albion, I have never used it in any hospital I have ever worked at, and am not afraid to admit it. To be perfectly honest I had never even heard of it before seeing these boards. Maybe its called something else in the UK?

I will however totally agree with you about continuing the course or antibiotics.
Many problems are caused by not finishing prescribed courses of antibiotics and giving only one days worth or treatment is not a good idea. I would go for at least 5 days to be sure.

I hope she is doing ok now rippie-n-lilgirlsmom, glad to hear she improved :)

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-18-2006, 07:12 AM
Albon is the staple antibiotic my one vet gives for anything.
My cousin works at this vet & I can get it anytime, this is the 2nd squirrel that albon cleared right away.

snakegetters
09-18-2006, 01:57 PM
Albon is the staple antibiotic my one vet gives for anything.
My cousin works at this vet & I can get it anytime, this is the 2nd squirrel that albon cleared right away.

The "I give this one antibiotic for everything" attitude concerns me some. I have seen vets do that (it's infamously Baytril for reptiles) and it is not a good standard of patient care. There are always factors to balance, including the cost of more specific diagnostics and whether the patient has time to wait for lab results before starting treatment. Guessing with a broad spectrum antibiotic is not always a bad thing, but it is not always a good thing either.

The Carpenter manual I dragged home from the clinic today gives the rodent dose for sulfadimethoxine at 10 to 15 milligrams per kilogram orally every 12 hours. It does not list a duration of therapy, but this is something I'd really want to check on. Giving just one or two doses of an antibiotic is almost never a good idea.