PDA

View Full Version : Grapes make Sammy hyper?

Cecil
04-11-2009, 08:28 PM
Hi all. I'm starting to try solid foods to supplement Sammy's formula. I have an order in for rodent block but in the meantime I peeled a seedless red grape, rinsed it, and took a small piece and placed it in her cage. She loved it, maybe too much, because for about ten minutes she ran all around her cage smacking her lips, burrowing, climbing the side of the cage...going nuts.

She's finally settled down but I'm curious...can a squirrel get so excited by a new food to the point that they basically bounce of the sides of their cage looking for more?

4skwerlz
04-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Hi all. I'm starting to try solid foods to supplement Sammy's formula. I have an order in for rodent block but in the meantime I peeled a seedless red grape, rinsed it, and took a small piece and placed it in her cage. She loved it, maybe too much, because for about ten minutes she ran all around her cage smacking her lips, burrowing, climbing the side of the cage...going nuts.

She's finally settled down but I'm curious...can a squirrel get so excited by a new food to the point that they basically bounce of the sides of their cage looking for more?

Young squirrels are energetic and goofy sometimes...and there's nothing more exciting than food. Youngsters will also play with their food a lot. Sounds like your girl is definitely ready for solid foods! However, don't overdo the fruit--there's a lot of sugar in them. One per day max. Concentrate on healthy veggies and wild foods from the Healthy Diet, and of course the Healthy Blocks when you get them.

She sure sounds like a cutie.:Love_Icon

Cecil
04-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Young squirrels are energetic and goofy sometimes...and there's nothing more exciting than food. Youngsters will also play with their food a lot. Sounds like your girl is definitely ready for solid foods! However, don't overdo the fruit--there's a lot of sugar in them. One per day max. Concentrate on healthy veggies and wild foods from the Healthy Diet, and of course the Healthy Blocks when you get them.

She sure sounds like a cutie.:Love_Icon

Whew...thanks. I was just a little concerned, you'd have thought I'd given her a jalapeno pepper. But then, just a little bit ago I wondered...is this where the expression "squirrely" came from?

I'm going into town tomorrow with a list of good and healthy foods for her. I think I'll save the grapes for the times I want to say to someone "Hey ya'll, watch this."

:wahoo

4skwerlz
04-11-2009, 09:02 PM
Whew...thanks. I was just a little concerned, you'd have thought I'd given her a jalapeno pepper. But then, just a little bit ago I wondered...is this where the expression "squirrely" came from?

I'm going into town tomorrow with a list of good and healthy foods for her. I think I'll save the grapes for the times I want to say to someone "Hey ya'll, watch this."

:wahoo

Yep, I think that's why they call it acting "squirrelly"!:D

Favorite healthy veggies: mixed salad in the bag, broccoli, bok choy, avocado (no skin or pits). Wash the veggies before feeding. Introduce new foods slowly and watch for diarrhea. They quite often will get loose poopies with certain new foods.

Keep us posted!

digiandchipper
04-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Where are the pics?!:D :poke

Cecil
04-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Where are the pics?!:D :poke

How's this? :)

Cecil
04-13-2009, 10:18 PM
He is so gorgeous! Is he an Eastern Grey? He looks so diffrent from the ones we have on the west coast. Also, how old is Sammy?

Sammy is a California Ground Squirrel, she's between 6 and 7 weeks right now. We're blessed with a healthy squirrel (and bunny) population on our property, she's the first orphan we've rescued.

She just today reached the point where she's becoming a lot more active and curious about her surroundings so my wife and I are sitting here being entertained by the sight of a little furry head poking up over the side of her cage.

4skwerlz
04-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Oh I love that age! Ground squirrels are so cute; I love their almond-shaped eyes.:Love_Icon

Cecil
04-13-2009, 11:42 PM
I think we just played for the very first time. I put my hand in her cage so she could smell me. That settles her down and seems to make her comfortable. So she began lightly nibbling on my finger then backed up and slapped my hand with one paw.

So I wiggled my fingers and she'd slap, then nibble, back up and slap a couple of times. Then she rolled over on her back waving her paws before returning to slapping and nibbling. It looks as if she were having fun as she never made a sound, no growls, no sign she was feeling defensive or threatened...she's the one who was setting the pace and seemed delighted.

She never bit down, never made an aggressive move..so...was she playing?

4skwerlz
04-14-2009, 06:09 AM
I think we just played for the very first time. I put my hand in her cage so she could smell me. That settles her down and seems to make her comfortable. So she began lightly nibbling on my finger then backed up and slapped my hand with one paw.

So I wiggled my fingers and she'd slap, then nibble, back up and slap a couple of times. Then she rolled over on her back waving her paws before returning to slapping and nibbling. It looks as if she were having fun as she never made a sound, no growls, no sign she was feeling defensive or threatened...she's the one who was setting the pace and seemed delighted.

She never bit down, never made an aggressive move..so...was she playing?

Yep. They love to "hand wrestle" and pretend your hand is another squirrel. Chase, pounce, nibble, wrastle....I will gently bowl Henry over onto his back and tickle his belly, hide my hand behind the chair and "pounce" on him. they love it. How delightful for both of you.:thumbsup