PDA

View Full Version : Having problems again....

Suro
09-13-2006, 10:16 AM
Its happening again, the smallest of my tribe, the little male, seemed very lethargic and weak this morning. I was late home from work, and blame myself really.

I had been introducing fruit into their diet since their eyes opened and all was fine, but I wonder if me being late home made them eat too much fruit.

All of them have softish faeces, but my littlest man has very soft faeces and won't wee for me.

I gave him some electrolyte solution this morning, and after reading threads here will take him with me tonight and give some Lactated ringers - i presume you are giving that orally? I have only ever used it subcutaneously or by IV, neither of which I would think he would appreciate as we'd never find a vein as he is so small, and subcut fluids hurts so very much for them.

I'm just ranting really, but wondered about the natural yogurt I have seen mentioned here a few times, I just worry that any major changes to their diets is going to make matters worse.

Have any of you used probiotic powder? We have canine/feline and a rabbit one - anyone had any experience of using these? They are called Prolapis (rabbit) and protexin (canine/feline).

I have just done their next feed, but taken away all solid food for now.

I just hope I don't loose any, especially him, I can't take loosing another one this time...last year they did so well...never again .... :( :(

GhosTS
09-13-2006, 10:39 AM
I havent tried probiotic powder, but Bene-bac helped me when my babies had lose stools or diarrhea.Yoghurt with live cultures in it can also help.Lose stools comes mainly from feeding too much milk.If not, changes in the diet.or parasites.Its early to think the exact reason.Lets see how it goes in the next feeding.Keep us updated.

And yes.LR must be given orally.SubQ must be only given if the baby is too weak to take liquids orally.

Critter_Queen
09-13-2006, 10:55 AM
Yeah, the LR is oral for my little female. Using it in place of water in the Esbilac for a couple of days. Vet and mentor both agree that it won't hurt her to do this due to the diarrhea.

We are using Lactated Ringer's with 5% dextrose. Not sure if it's all that way or not, but thought I'd add that.

Bene Bac is a probiotic powder. Mammal kind is best, but I've used the bird stuff in a pinch on the advice of my mentor. Live culture yogurt is good for them for calcium and digestive issues...I will be adding that to her daily schedule tonight.

How long are you going between feedings while you are at work? How old is this little squirrel?

Also have you added anything but the fruit? Or maybe it spoiled before you go home?? I've been told never to leave fresh foods out for more than four hours due to bacteria growth. Got a sick pet cockatiel from leaving veggies out too long in the past...

Hope he gets well again soon...

Suro
09-13-2006, 11:02 AM
OMG I bet you are right....I bet it spoiled and because I was late home they ate it cos they felt they had to...damn I feel terrible. :shakehead

I had been taking them to work with me on my shift, but they've been eating solids well for almost a week I thought I could leave them overnight now.

I will not leave them at home the rest of this week, and next week I am off anyway, so hopefully, if they make it, that will be long enough for them. :(

Critter_Queen
09-13-2006, 11:08 AM
If the fruit was just begining to spoil you should be able to correct the digestive issue with the probiotic and/or yogurt. Cost me $1400 to find that out!! LOL! USE IT! :thumbsup It's free to the rest of the world, but it cost me a fortune! :tilt

Don't feel bad. Stuff happens and we can only learn by error sometimes. How old are they? Mine can go all night without feeding (about 8-9 hours here, if I'm lucky or it's the weekend) as long as their eyes have been open for a few days at least...if you are feeding them regularly all the rest of the day it should be fine. But if you are leaving them for work and also leaving them for your sleep, you might have a problem.

I'm lucky that I can leave mine at home all day and just run home at lunch (10 minute drive) to feed them...4.5 - 5 hour feedings that way. Unless they are sickly like two of 'em I have now...I smuggle them to work with me in my lunchbox! LOL! Good thing my desk is in the back of the office and I'm allowed to play the radio! :thumbsup I would be SO BUSTED otherwise...

Keep us posted, ok??

Suro
09-13-2006, 11:28 AM
They have had their eyes open about a week - so I presume about 6.5 weeks old.

I felt "wrong" leaving them last night, and shouldn't have...I wish i hadn't to be honest :(

As for sleeping in the day, I am so squirrely nuts I set an alarm and get up to feed them! :rotfl :crazy

I will start their probiotics at work tonight and see how they go, and lay of the fruit for a day or so I think :)

Thanks for all the advice :D

Critter_Queen
09-13-2006, 11:33 AM
You know, it could just be the sudden change in feeding schedule, too...that could throw their little tummies off... 'specially if this was the first time you'd done it that way...

If they are 6.5ish weeks old, I would suggest leaving leaf lettuce, puppy food, a walnut half or two, a raw baby carrot or two, pumpkin seeds and a dish of water...stuff that won't spoil easily and will keep them eating while you're gone.

I'm sure they'll be ok. And now that I've thought of this, I'm betting it was the change in schedule rather than the food...

Suro
09-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Ok, I stopped all fruit, introduced probiotic powder (used bio-lapis rabbit and small animal one) once a day (disolved in warm pre boiled water, fed by syringe and teat) and also went back to the old feeding regime of taking them to work with me...

And....

All 5 did solid poo's today!!!!!!!:crazy :crazy :crazy :wahoo

THANKS to everyone who helped with ideas to combat the diarrhoea before it became too bad. :thumbsup :thankyou :bowdown

The only thing i have to combat now is how to keep 3/5 of them still to toilet them so I can see what they're doing - they really have had enough of it now - "leave me alone I can do it myself!!!!" :nono hehe! :rotfl