PDA

View Full Version : Help!

SaraCreech
03-24-2009, 03:35 PM
I have a baby squirrel that is about a month to a month and a half old. She has been drinking her espilac very well but has aspirated some by drinking to fast and when i went to wake her up to feed her, she sounds like she has pnemonia. when she breaths she is making a clicking sound and opening and closing her mouth like shes haveing trouble breathing and shes sneezing. what can i do??? i called a local vet but they said they dont treat wildlife and told me to go to the wildlife place here in pensacola but i cant get there. is there any thing that i can give her from the store or do i have to go to the wildlife place???

SaraCreech
03-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Thank you. I honestly have no idea what to do. Shes albino and if i take her to a vet or the wildlife place being here in florida they will take her away or being sick, put her to sleep.

SaraCreech
03-24-2009, 04:04 PM
no i sure dont. i dont know anyone that would have any for her

susanw
03-24-2009, 04:07 PM
She needs antibiotics, you are not going to be able to buy anything at a store that will help her. Since it is legal to own a squirrel in Florida, I don't believe they would not give her back. Can you call other vets in your area or a Rehabber? We can give you a list of rehabbers in your area.

SaraCreech
03-24-2009, 04:10 PM
i dont know of any rehabbers. my squirrel is albino and the wildlife place may take her away because shes albino and female

SaraCreech
03-24-2009, 04:19 PM
unfortanatly none are close by. the closest would be tallahassee and thats 3hrs away from here

4skwerlz
03-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Get out your phone book and look for nearby vets, exotic vets, and emergency vet clinics. If the office you call won't see a squirrel, often they will know of a vet that will!

Squirrels are legal in FL, so they shouldn't take her away. Tell them she's a pet.

SaraCreech
03-24-2009, 04:22 PM
ok thank you so much for your help. i will try that and pray they dont take her. i will post later and let you know what i find out.

Momma Squirrel
03-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Wildlife Sanctuary of Northwest Florida 850-433-9453 105 North S St Pensacola FL 32505

Hope this helps, we have used them many times, very nice, friendly and helpful.

Let me know if there is anything I can do, I am in Pensacola.

Momma Squirrel
03-24-2009, 04:40 PM
Gave SC my cell number also.

Buddy'sMom
03-24-2009, 04:47 PM
PBluejay2 is in the "Pensacola area" -- does anyone have his telephone, or can someone PM him? He picks up sqs for Emerald Coast so maybe he can come?

Also:
Emerald Coast Wildlife Refuge [Member: prgault -- maybe PM him too?]
406 Mountain Drive
Destin, FL 32541(Pensacola)

SAME TELEPHONE: Betsy R. Knight (Executive Director),
Big Bend Wildlife Sanctuary, Inc.
"we accept all Florida wildlife that is injured, sick, or orphaned"
Florida, Northwest region, Destin..... 850-650-1880

Also: new member: barasto
Pace, FL/Northwest Florida
Licensed wildlife rehabber in Milton in Northwest Florida.
We are NOT affiliated with Wildlife Sanctuary in Pensacola.
Barbara - (850?) 516-8266 [not sure of area code -- just guessing it's the same as above)

I hope this helps and that someone else has time to PM any of the members above? I've got to run ............

Best of luck getting help! :grouphug

susanw
03-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Sarah, I see you are on the board. Have you had any luck yet?

prgault
03-24-2009, 06:54 PM
If she is a pet no rehabber should treat her (unless he/she is a licensed vet as well). But is is legal to have a squirrel in Florida and no permit is required. The only issue might be proof of origin, since it is illegal to take them from the wild. Keep trying local vets and look up the captive wildlife regulations here: http://myfwc.com/RULESANDREGS/Rules_CaptiveCategories.htm to prepare yourself for any questions.

Good luck,

P_

PBluejay2
03-24-2009, 08:48 PM
I sincerely apologize for not checking sooner, but I can help! As can prgault. At only 4 to 4 and a half weeks old I assume she wasn't a "bred" squirrel but an orphan (if she's and Eastern grey)--probably doesn't have her eyes open yet, if your age estimate is correct. I'm about an hour away from Pensacola. Let me know what you want me to do. I can't come get it tonight and it will have to be after 2:00 tomorrow before I can drive to Pensacola. If it can be bought here I can take it sooner. Until then, keep it warm and don't try to feed it any more. If you want my number, PM me.

PBluejay2
03-24-2009, 09:43 PM
SC's husband (nice fellow) PMed and called me. The squirrel seems to be doing better. I advised him on meds and the need to get it to a vet or rehabber ASAP. It's my impression he will do everything he can to take care of this squirrel. He said he would keep us posted.

Legomom
03-24-2009, 09:46 PM
:thumbsup

4skwerlz
03-24-2009, 09:53 PM
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Minnie's Mom
03-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Great News!!! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Momma Squirrel
03-25-2009, 07:12 AM
:thumbsup so glad to keep up this morning and see that they did get in contact with one of our members. I was so worried when she wasn't answering my PMs that we had lost her and the squirrel.

susanw
03-25-2009, 11:18 AM
:thumbsup so glad to keep up this morning and see that they did get in contact with one of our members. I was so worried when she wasn't answering my PMs that we had lost her and the squirrel.

Me too!

susanw
03-25-2009, 11:19 AM
SC's husband (nice fellow) PMed and called me. The squirrel seems to be doing better. I advised him on meds and the need to get it to a vet or rehabber ASAP. It's my impression he will do everything he can to take care of this squirrel. He said he would keep us posted.

Thank you so much! I do hope they keep in touch.:thumbsup

SaraCreech
03-25-2009, 12:12 PM
Baby Girl is doing MUCH better now. Her clicking has quieted down ALOT and her sneezing is very little now. She is getting back to her old self and trying to climb all over every thing, even with her little legs, shes on the go and trying to explore. She sleeps soundly with breathing through her nose, the only time her clicking and sneezing will start is when she gets alittle too excited about seeing her bottle. But we've been keeping her warm, and rested and trying not to bother her. We would like to thank all of you that has helped us, without your help, we would have lost our baby girl, THANK YOU!!!!!

SaraCreech
03-25-2009, 12:15 PM
Sorry that one pic was so big, i didnt realize it was, to see it better, just right click it and save it, then open it with your normal photo viewer

PBluejay2
03-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Great new! I hope you will get her the antibiotic we discussed. Keep us posted!

Nancy in New York
03-25-2009, 12:36 PM
Awe, she is adorable...Glad you found us...:Love_Icon :Love_Icon

BHO
03-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Awh, she is so sweet. Any liquid in her lungs is bad. I think she needs to go to a vet asap if you can find one (from experience). I am saying this because I have seen many wild ones with pneumonia and chest infection which has been fatal. Sometimes the periods when one thinks the squirrel is better can be false and I sincerely hope this is not the case with yours cos I know you love her very very much.

Still I will pray that your outcome is different. Finger crossed and will pray for her.

Momma Squirrel
03-25-2009, 01:44 PM
What a pretty little sweetheart, so glad to hear she is doing better and hoping it continues and a full recovery.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

SaraCreech
03-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Thank you and i will definatly keep you updated on how she is doing. I woke her up a few minutes ago and fed her and she is doing so much better. Shes trying to learn how to jump but she was running across the bed, learning to curl into a ball and roll, wanting to play. :rotfl Very little sneezing, no clicking etc but we do have someone that will be checking her out for us just to make sure shes ok. Thank you all for your help!! :bowdown :thankyou :bowdown

susanw
03-25-2009, 03:45 PM
She is adorable Sarah, please stick around and update us on her progress. Have you raised squirrels before? There is a ton of usefull information here.

SaraCreech
03-25-2009, 03:53 PM
I definatly will! Yes i have raised many squirrels before, my boyfriend (PBluejay2 said it was my husband but he is my boyfriend, hopefully future husband tho :D ) owns his own tree service and comes across many babies that the mother has abandoned or doesnt come back for while they are working and we have raised many from pinkies up to ones that have already had their eyes open and know the world. They come and go as they please in our yard that has has 8 big live oaks in it.

susanw
03-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Yep, definately squirrel people!:thumbsup

Legomom
03-25-2009, 05:33 PM
my boyfriend (PBluejay2 said it was my husband but he is my boyfriend, hopefully future husband tho :D )

We call those NRBFs...Non-Releasable Boyfriends ;) LOL!

:Welcome to TSB! Your little one is soooo kissably cute! :Love_Icon We don't get to see too many white ones on the board, so please do stick around! Can't wait to see her grow! :grouphug

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
03-25-2009, 05:40 PM
Shes blowing a kiss!:bowdown

SaraCreech
03-28-2009, 09:14 AM
Baby Girl is doing so much better now!!!! No sneezing, no clicking, nothing except her squirrel chatter as she runs around. Shes learned how to hold her tail up now like a normal squirrel now and loves to be held and fusses when you put her down. Thank you all for your help! I will be posting up some more pictures of her soon!:goofwe :fireworks :thumbsup5 :squirrel1

Buddy'sMom
03-28-2009, 09:17 AM
:multi :multi :multi :multi :multi :multi