PDA

View Full Version : My little man is sick

kartgurl724
09-11-2006, 07:53 AM
My little man fell out the tree a little over a week ago and looks to be about 3 weeks old. He has done OK up until yesterday and now his little stomach is swollen and he is barely breathing.

What should I do?

Worried Mom

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-11-2006, 07:56 AM
Do you have a vet you could take him to?
Are you feeding him, or were you feeding him?

kartgurl724
09-11-2006, 08:00 AM
We took him to the vet and they told us to feed him Esbilac. He was doing fine up until yesterday. I have been soaking him in warm water and massaging his tummy and he passes gas. I also gave him some gas drops and he used the bathroom but he is still bloated.

I don't know what else to do.

kartgurl724
09-11-2006, 08:12 AM
He is so lethargic and having a hard time breathing.

Now he is bleeding from the nose

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-11-2006, 08:15 AM
Oh my goodness call the vet? Explain whats going on I am so sorry!

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-11-2006, 08:19 AM
keep him on a heating pad on low & keep things quirt for him, untill you can either gt the vet or a rehabber here can suggest something.

Timber
09-11-2006, 08:20 AM
And while you are calling the vet maybe you could PM Suro. She is a vet nurse I believe and maybe she has some helpful info.

kartgurl724
09-11-2006, 08:38 AM
I sent a message to Suro.

My husband went to the vet and they said that they couldn't help.

He is suffering and I'm afraid he is going to die.

kartgurl724
09-11-2006, 08:41 AM
My little man just passed away.

Momma Squirrel
09-11-2006, 08:48 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your little one, I know it hurts and makes you very sad. But you have to know that you did everything you could and you made his last days here very comfortable and loving. Sometimes we just can't fight mother nature. My thoughts are with you and your husband and thank you so much for being such special people and taking the time to care and love this little guy so much.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-11-2006, 08:49 AM
Oh I am soo sorry, Its even more heart wrenching when we dont understand why? You gave him a loving place to spend the last couple weeks of his little life. You were a kind person to do that.
To know the love & life of a little squirrel your life has been blessed & his with yours.
Thank you for loving him.
Maybe you can make a little memorial in the yard for him.
Prayers going out for you here.:grouphug

kartgurl724
09-11-2006, 09:06 AM
I don't know who is more heart broken, me or my husband.

He buried Bisquit in our flower bed.

Thanks for everything.

Timber
09-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Once again,you have heard it from so many but out hearts really do grieve for you. We have all been through this at one time or the other. But as it has been said previously, you did all that was in your power and abilities to do and know that you at least helped him to pass in a warm and caring enviorment and not in a hosstile one. My sympathys are with you.

GhosTS
09-11-2006, 10:42 AM
So sorry to hear about your little man.You did everything you could.But sometimes we lose them no matter how hard we try.So we keep on trying coz the next time we will succeed.

island rehabber
09-11-2006, 10:55 AM
I just caught up with this thread and I'm so sorry about your little squirrel boy. The bleeding from the nose may signify something serious was going on, which you may ever have even known about from before you found him. There is so much we can't control and don't know about these wild critters....we can only do our best to assist them on their path. Know that you did exactly that, and he knew you cared about him.

Suro
09-11-2006, 07:04 PM
I'm so so sorry I missed your pm, I had some big problems today and haven't been online till now.
I feel so bad for you. :(
My thoughts are with you, my very deepest sympathies.

It does sound very serious though, and I doubt you could have saved him, and from what I read you did absolutley everything you could do for him. Sometimes some escape us, however hard we try to help, please be reassured in the fact that without you he'd have suffered so very much more and you made his last days as nice as you could for him.
:grouphug

kartgurl724
09-11-2006, 07:40 PM
Thanks to all who posted.

We only had him a week and he quickly became our little man. Maybe God will give us another one that will survive.

We told our daughter (6 years old) that the Mommy squirrel came and got Bisquit and took him home.

It amazes me how God's little critters can steal your heart so quickly.

We also have a bunny, cat and dog to keep us occupied. All of us are very sentimental when it comes to pets.