PDA

View Full Version : Egg Plant?

JewelsFlyers
03-20-2009, 01:09 PM
Hi guys! Been super busy..Can my Flyers eat egg Plant? *fresh* If so, how do I prepare it, cooked or raw, skin no skin? Thanks!:wave123

Sarabi
03-20-2009, 01:15 PM
:goodpost I dont know though???? Somebody hopefully will answer.:poke

JewelsFlyers
03-20-2009, 01:23 PM
:goodpost I dont know though???? Somebody hopefully will answer.:poke

Thanks hon, I bought one just for them too, lol. I hope they can eat it:D

4skwerlz
03-20-2009, 01:36 PM
I've never heard of feeding eggplant to squirrels. It might be fine; it might not be. Until we hear absolutely that it's okay, maybe better not feed it, since it does contain some toxins. If you do try it, make sure it's cooked, and don't feed the skin.

Eggplants, like tomatoes, peppers, and potatoes are members of the deadly nightshade family. To some extent, every member of this family's fruit contains solanaceous alkaloids, which in large enough concentration can be toxic. The chemical is destroyed by heat. Therefore, eggplant should be eaten cooked. Modern eggplant fruit (what we would consider a vegetable) have levels of alkaloids so low that they would not be toxic to humans. If you are concerned with these alkaloids, either use eggplants only in cooked dishes, or peel the skin off raw eggplant.

squirrel princess
03-20-2009, 01:40 PM
I've never heard of feeding eggplant to squirrels. It might be fine; it might not be. Until we hear absolutely that it's okay, maybe better not feed it.

chipper eats it everyday:dono

JewelsFlyers
03-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Wow, my babies love Bell peppers and tomatoes...raw not cooked...I didn't kow they could be harmful?

squirrel princess- you feed yours egg plant?

4skwerlz
03-20-2009, 01:43 PM
chipper eats it everyday:dono

See the addition to my post. You might want to rethink the eggplant...especially feeding it every day. The harm from the chemicals might not be obvious.

4skwerlz
03-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Wow, my babies love Bell peppers and tomatoes...raw not cooked...I didn't kow they could be harmful?

squirrel princess- you feed yours egg plant?

The levels in bell peppers and tomatoes are very low.

I'll try to look into the eggplant issue more thoroughly when I have time.

Pam
03-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Check out this thread. GhosTS said eggplant is toxic.

Gammas Baby also posted a list of plants that pets should not eat.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5558&highlight=eggplant

JewelsFlyers
03-20-2009, 01:49 PM
The levels in bell peppers and tomatoes are very low.

I'll try to look into the eggplant issue more thoroughly when I have time.

Thanks! Ok so, I'll stay away from the eggplant until further notice and I can continue to give peppers! great because they would be very upset w/o their peppers and tomatoes:osnap

JewelsFlyers
03-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Check out this thread. GhosTS said eggplant is toxic.

Gammas Baby also posted a list of plants that pets should not eat.

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5558&highlight=eggplant

Well then, they wont get that! Thanks for that post! I guess I'll be cooking it up for myself then..darnit

squirrel princess
03-20-2009, 01:53 PM
See the addition to my post. You might want to rethink the eggplant...especially feeding it every day. The harm from the chemicals might not be obvious.

GEEEEEEEEEEEEZE another to take off my list:rotfl it usually ends up dried up in his cage anyway:dono

4skwerlz
03-20-2009, 02:21 PM
You'll notice that eggplant isn't on the Healthy Diet list.....

Sarabi
03-20-2009, 02:23 PM
well good to Know....Thanks everyone:thumbsup

Jackie in Tampa
03-26-2009, 06:21 AM
Sarah is sick...I think that 4Skwerlz, IR and I jinxed her...I gave her EGGPLANT! Our nutritional guru was questioning it too...ouch. Leigh warned us that it is a family of nightshade,,,,,not squash.Nightshade is poisonous, so this is a warning. Info found by myself and BsMom says that the plant is toxic, not the fruit. However also states that some people are sensitive to while others are not!
She has thrown up after being constipated with black hard poopies! She also ahd dry heaves before finally thowing up...yes sqs do throw up....This is the second time I have seen her throw up...the first time was after having TOO MMANY grub worms!
However this time is much worse...very lethargic and head down...no playing and totally NOT SARAHish. I aaaam concerned and will take to vet today if I do not see improvement this morning...

Beware of Eggplant!:soapbox

I am posting his here as well as in Sarahs thread...wished I would have seen this earlier...never again will I feed eggplant. I am not 100% sure if that is what made her throw up...but it is the only thing different I gave her!
Moral to the story...Listen to Sq Nutritional Guru! Thanks Leigh....:bowdown