PDA

View Full Version : sprouted almonds?

gs1
03-17-2009, 11:27 PM
Hi:

they're supposed to be healthier for humans, more vitamins/minerals etc...

Does anyone have an opinion on them regarding squirrels?

does it make it easier for the squirrel to absorb the calcium?

I can't find any information yet on the amount of calcium ratio.

the wild squirrels love them, ofcourse.

they're just regular almonds soaked for about 24 hours, rinsed several times.

thanks... (GS1 had her babies a few days ago and i'd love to get some nutrition in her but all she'll ever eat is almonds and hazelnuts and walnuts, she's not interested in peanuts or pumpkin seeds) She is also wild so i'm hoping she's eating bark and grubs etc.

she does seem like she's needing more calcium because she's trying to eat maple-seed heads, already sprouting.

:thankyou

Jackie in Tampa
03-18-2009, 12:20 AM
the wilds know what they need and have adapted to their available flora and fauna. Smart cookies!:thumbsup

gs1
03-18-2009, 01:45 AM
thanks jackie: so what the wilds like, the wilds get?

although i disagree with you slightly, they don't always know whats best for them, if they did they'd be living inside with us, our door is always open but they don't want to come inside and make themselves comfortable.

Legomom
03-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Is this the product you're talking about, gs1? If so, it looks like the ca/phos ratio is approximately 1:1.

I've attached a nutrition chart that I got from the website. Here's a link that compares sprouted almonds to regular almonds.

http://sproutedalmonds.com/compare.htm

gs1
03-18-2009, 05:20 PM
thank you legomom!!!

that's not the product i was thinking about only because, there is no product, just a handful of nuts, soaked in water for 24 hours, rinsing repeatedly.

so, i had no idea that someone was actually marketing them. wow.

but... regardless, that's really good news because if normal almonds are 1:1.6 ratio of cal/phos ... then 1:1 would make soaked almonds so much better for them.

um... assuming that a 1:1 balance is good :thinking

but thank you so much, i couldn't find anything regarding the balances.

:thankyou

Legomom
03-18-2009, 06:44 PM
1:1 is ok, 2:1 is the best. :D

Ardilla
03-20-2009, 11:26 AM
So I would just soak some almonds overnight in water?

Can they be dried out and then frozen?