PDA

View Full Version : Weebles wobble

squirrelfriend
09-10-2006, 12:36 PM
I have a squirrel that I got from the park. A few months back when I first saw her there she was missing an eye. She seemed in perfect health otherwise. she would chase other squirrels and was actually quite an aggressive one. I saw her like this for a couple of months then one day I saw her coming up when I was feeding squirrels there and she had a very bad wobbly gait. She would jump for trees and miss altogether, when she would walk she would stumble like she was drunk. I saw her like this for about a month the condition not getting better or worsoning. There was then about a month of not seeing her at all. I had asumed the worst that she had died of her ailment.

One happy day when I was there feeding the squirrels again there she was. She was still alive! still in the same condition though. Later that same feeding she fell about 12 feet out of her tree with a loud thud on the ground. she ran back up her tree and I didn't see her for the rest of the feeding. I then resolved to try to catch her to see if I could help her. The next time I went I caught her on the first try with a little throw blanket. If I can catch her that easily then so could any predator. I took her home and placed her in a ferret type cage. she ate a lot right away. took her all of 30 seconds to go through two handfulls of nuts.

Well, a week later she was still dooing fine but there was a few new additions to that cage. she had dropped out 3 babies, all girls. It has been about 6 weeks since the babies were born. Mother is still in the same condition except that she now allows me to hold her and pet her. Babies are all perfectly healthy. Weebles is a great mother.

does anybody have any ideas what might cause the wobbling gait?

attatched are two of Weebles, 2 of a couple of her babies and one Squirrelie. He was a baby that was orphaned and crawled up our drive way.

squirrelfriend
09-10-2006, 12:41 PM
I guess I didn't get the pictures up the first time. hopefully this works this time.

muffinsquirrel
09-10-2006, 01:14 PM
WOW! Those babies are beautiful!

What are you giving Weebles - what does she eat, what supplements is she getting, etc? Do you have a vet available that would see her? Maybe an X-ray, and check for internal parasites? It could be MBD, in which case vitamin and calcium supplements would help. Yogurt is a good source of calcium, and usually the squirrels like it....just make sure it is the live culture yogurt. Also, you can dust her shelled pecans, walnuts, whatever she gets, with a calcium powder. I use a liquid vitamin that goes in their water. (L&M Liquid Vitamins - it is made for mammals.) It can also be given directly to them with a dropper if the situation is really serious.

I am sure you will hear from lots of people with a lot more knowledge than me. I hope you can help her - she is really beautiful. And good for you, for caring enough to catch her and get her to safety....those babies would never have made it without you.

Good luck, and keep us posted,

muffinsquirrel

Dancingsquirrel
09-10-2006, 02:12 PM
Weebles is so beautiful, and her babies are gorgeous! They are so lucky you were able to help out. I had a wild squirrel friend that started showing the wobbleing symptoms and they got worse as time went on. It got to the point where she would eat her nuts laying on her side. We managed to catch her and took her to the wildlife rescue center where they had to put her to sleep because they said it was a head injury and she was not going to get any better. I understand that an inner ear parasite also causes them to get off balance.
Anyway! as I said before, Weebles and her babies are very lucky to have been rescued by you! Listen to the nutrition advice of the rehabers on this board, and any other advice they may have, this is a great group of people who truely love squirrels:)
You may want to enter the photo of the kids in this months photo contest:thumbsup

Timber
09-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Well, as previous said it could very well be an inter ear infeaction but it also could be from to many peanuts. If she has been living in a park and if many others have been feeding her peanuts the oils from the peanuts in over abundance can act like alcohol in people an make them drunk I have seen them stagering around like that from peanut drunkness which eventually most likely will cause cerocis of the liver. I don't know how many times I am going to have to say this but peanuts and the oils from them are not good for squirrels. Only as a treat now and then but they can be and often are addictive to the squirrles as alcohol is to humans. But I have to say oooh and ahhhh over them. A beautiful black momma and babies. I so love tha black squirrel and squirrellie is so hansome.

squirrelfriend
09-10-2006, 06:36 PM
MuffinSquirrel,

I try to give as much variety in their diet as possible. they get various nuts fruits and vegatables.I also give them a calcium powder. I can't find a vet to see them. Apparently it is against the law for vets to attend to wild animals. I would have to take them to a wild animal place. I know they would probably put both Weebles and Squirrelie down. Squirrelies back legs are mildly week but very functionable. He had rickets when he was younger but I managed to stop it in it's tracks. I can't take away the damage already done though. I am aware of MBD and always keep an eye out for it. I thought that might be the case in Weebles but there has been no improvement in her gait. she still seems to live a happy life though. She is too feisty to give up. and even though she will never admit it she likes her pettin's. Squirrelie on the other hand is shameless for his pettin's. here is a picture of him sleeping next to me at night as he always does.

squirrelfriend
09-10-2006, 06:50 PM
Dancingsquirrel,

I didn't find any mites or ear parasites on her. an inner ear infection did cross my mind but she doesn't scratch at that ear nor is there any swelling. a head injury is a possibility but I don't think so. I also noticed that she tends to walk a little high on the back legs. kind of like she soiled her panties.

Timber,

I thought it was the peanut thing at first too. but she hardly ever gets any of those now. If it was the peanut thing would it have cleared up by now?

Thank you everybody for your advice. keep it coming!

Timber
09-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Well, I don't know about clearing up the stumbling from peanuts because the only 2 cases that I saw were wild and one I know died and the other just disappeared. But I do know this, Squirrellie can come spend the night with me any time he wants! He is just to cute and loveable. And Weebles, well shes a beauty and with that name who could resist.

squirrelfriend
09-10-2006, 08:54 PM
I'll see if I can get an overnight bag packed for him. but I'll warn you that he's a big suck. He 's deffinitly a momas boy. Right now he is sleeping in my shirt. that is his way of letting me know that it is bed time.

island rehabber
09-11-2006, 06:35 AM
Squirrelfriend, they are ALL truly beautiful and you have done an outstanding job rescuing and raising them!! :bowdown
Others who responded to you first have pretty much covered everything I can think of.....MBD....head injury.....ear infection.....I just read your post now as I was offline most of the day yesterday, and I promise to "hit the books" and see if there is something else I might be able to find out for you. Weebles certainly deserves a chance to get better if it's possible -- she's a special squirrel and, as you said, a great mom. I'll be back ASAP if I can find anything out, OK? I may send you info in a Private Message as well. :peace

Mrs. Jack
09-11-2006, 06:51 AM
gahhhhh. I hope no one counts how many times I say this on the board, because I mean it every single time, but those are the cutest things EVER.

Timber
09-11-2006, 07:05 AM
I agree whole heartdly with Mrs. J.. I guess God in his wisdom knows better than to send me a little blackie because if I had those babies (or even Momma andSquirrlie) I would have kissed all the fur off of them by now.

Momma Squirrel
09-11-2006, 08:03 AM
Squirrelfriend, sorry haven't been on the board in 2 days, what beautiful babies all the way around :crazy You have done a terrific job, so glad you were there for all. :Welcome looks like you will fit right in.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-11-2006, 08:04 AM
I guess I could say give them kisses from all of us here then.
What beautiful babies!! I am partial to the black squirrles their coats are outstanding!
Thanks Muffinsquirrel for that idea I am going to get the liquid callcium to put in my outside squirrles water.

Somebody's Mother
09-11-2006, 04:16 PM
i have to say they are beautiful squirrels. i didn't even know there were black squirrels. good luck with weebles and her little ones. she is lucky to have you. :thumbsup

squirrelfriend
09-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Black squirrels are very comon here in Toronto Canada. Actually I don't see too many grey ones here. It seems 9 out of 10 squirrels I see here are black ones. There are supposed to be red ones here too but have not seen one as of yet.

Mrs. Jack
09-12-2006, 07:48 AM
I've never seen a black squirrel in person. And I only just saw a red when we went hiking this summer. But I see lots and lots of greys :D