PDA

View Full Version : I got the squirrel blocks

Linda and Cooper
03-15-2009, 05:23 PM
But they don't like them.. I mean, sure, they love the smell and run right to them. We were locked in master bathroom, commode closed, natch, and they were doing their spring-spring-boing-boing, touch-yur-it and how high can you jump? I can jump 2 feet!..... and I brought some broken up squirrel blocks in with us. Sadie grabbed a piece and tried to bite it. She sat upright all cute and got disgusted and tossed it. Ok, I don't know if she got disgusted, lol, but she didn't get any broke off the hard thing and dropped it. Then Leroy got one piece and tried to nibble, but he just hid it under the floor rug. Then went back and got the others, after a few sproing-SPROING!!s and tried to hide those. Like, "I can't eat them now, but they smell good, so I'll hide them under the mat."
Do I need to soak them or something?
When I put them back in their cage (3 ft x 4 ft x 2 ft), they went right back into their little nesty hidey and I put the pieces back into the food dish. I then cut some apple, opened the top of the nesty hidey and handed each a small piece of apple. They sat right up and ate it... so they ARE hungry enough to eat, but seems the blocks are too hard.
So they need to eat the blocks, so how do I get them to eat them?
Squirrel Smitten Linda/FL

Charles Chuckles
03-15-2009, 05:31 PM
OK Charley did that, this is what I did...give them a block and nothing else, they will eat when they get hungry enough...and as far as hard they should be it is good for their teeth that is part of why they are so good plus all the vitamins etc. You can dip it just for a second in water and hand it to them, I did that in the begining just to get Charley to take it....only don't feed them anything else until after they have eatten the block...also check out their stash of food they may just go after that...once they get use to the blocks they will love them and you will feel better knowing you are giving them a very healthy diet. Stick with it...tell them "try it you'll like it":thumbsup
OH what blocks did you get??? If you got them from a pet store forget it Charley will not touch them...if you have the Henry blocks then they should start eatting them

Linda and Cooper
03-15-2009, 05:42 PM
OH what blocks did you get??? If you got them from a pet store forget it Charley will not touch them...if you have the Henry blocks then they should start eatting them
I got Henry blocks. I just wondered about how hard they are. My squirrels still being on hand feeding too.

lookmomchickens
03-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Maybe you could try to soak them in some formula?:dono

Charles Chuckles
03-15-2009, 06:26 PM
Then I am not sure you need to ask 4skwerlz, they might need to have them soaked, but it is good that you are starting them on good food so young...not like me Charley was 4 before I found out about the blocks:dono I am sure she will be able to help you:thumbsup Let us know:D

4skwerlz
03-15-2009, 07:46 PM
If these are weaning-age squirrels, that's totally normal. They often seem to play with their food more than they eat. The blocks ARE hard, as they should be! But young ones might not be quite ready and eager to eat hard foods yet. Sure, you could soak them in some water or formula if you like. Just give them a little time. That's great they liked the smell; they'll be eating them soon.:thumbsup

MsOakley
03-16-2009, 11:06 AM
I find it tough to get squirrels to really like any food that isn't
straight from nature.When I give my squirrels acorns, pine cones, branches, etc. they delve right in. Produce from Publix, ho hum. I know they need the nutrition and Henry's blocks are superior to store bought for sure. We all have to work at it until they're released and can make their own food choices.

Reddliz
03-17-2009, 09:08 AM
With Kola it was all about tough love I had to give him blocks and only blocks for 3 days....yes, 3 whole days of nothing else. I had them in my pocket and every time he'd come over to me I'd hand him apiece......finally he ate them and then I started giving him only blocks early in the morning, nothing else but 3 blocks no other foods until 11a then I'd give him his veggies, worms and brances and he'd eat those up as well....like others have said when they have nothing else they will eat the blocks.

I know it is hard because they are looking at you for food and you feel guilty....BIG TIME GUILTY....but really it is best for them. After about two weeks Kola tried to throw them down again, but again I followed him around and handed pieces to him constantly until he finally got the message, took them, and ate them up. They are very smart little creatures :D

I don't give him any other food until 11a nothing at all, and he now knows the routine and eats his blocks right up in the morning so he can get other food.....I've noticed that early in the morning is when he is the hungriest so he will gobble them up right away.

I give him 2 nuts at night around 4 or 5p one shelled and one in the shell....he knows this time of the day is nut time now and he waits for them as well.

I also removed all his stash too...no hidden nuts or food in his cage, so he is nice and hungry in the mornning and that really helps. I actually feel so much better knowing he is eating the blocks and getting the nutrition that he needs on top of all the good veggies, outside goods and mealworms.

Be firm and be strong cause that is what it takes to raise these little guys. :Love_Icon

MsOakley
03-17-2009, 10:34 AM
That sounds like a good system. Great dedication on your part.

Giftee's Mom
03-17-2009, 10:57 AM
RLiz, that's exactly how I feed my Giftee squirrel.

One block in the morning right after he wakes up and I have my "morning squirrel" time, then another some time before 10am - 11am. After he eats his blockies, and ONLY after he eats his blockies, does he get a heapin' helpin' of greens and other veggies, along with one grape. He gets oak and pine branches and other wild foods (pine cones, magnolia cone thingies, dandelions, maple twirly things, etc.) we rotate throughout the afternoon, as well as another plate of veggies around 4pm - 5pm or so. Then he gets another block around 6pm, and depending upon how much he was out of the cage running around and playing, I may give him another block a little later. Before I cover him for the night, he gets a little treat of one almond (sometimes two!) and some apple.

Like the other babies, he knows his routine and won't go to bed until he gets his nut!

I had trouble in the beginning, but like the others have said, you have to stay firm, be the mommie and be in control of what your little squirrellie eats! I know, it's easier said than done! But we have done it, and it CAN be done! You can persevere!

And the blocks are not too hard. They're squirrels, they eat wood and they can easily eat these blocks when they want to.

4skwerlz
03-17-2009, 11:04 AM
I'm very glad to hear the "system" is working for your fuzzers. Once they get into the habit, it's pretty easy. Like human kids, they seem to like a routine.
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Linda and Cooper
04-04-2009, 10:58 AM
These knuckle heads are so hilarious. Okay, so they began eating the blocks. But then, it seemed like they wanted more. So I gave them 2 more. One each. They sat right down... and shaved them into pieces real tiny and then ran around throwing them all out of the cage... :( So I swept that up. Then about 3 hours later, I gave them 2 more. They did the same thing. Except this time they fought over them too.:duel It must be a squirrel thing. "Who will get to throw the pieces out?" They are sooo silly!
So, rather than waste them....
We have settled down and they eat 2 blocks each per day before they get anything else and I don't make a mistake of giving them more during the afternoon, because they shred them and throw them out of the cage. In the afternoon is when I give them all their fresh stuff. They don't shred and throw that. Goof balls.
And Leroy, the boy, pees everywhere.:dono Sadie, the little girlie, does not. She'll even indicate she's uncomfortable and I'll put her back to go pee.:wahoo
But, back to my latest question: Is 2 blocks each ok with lots of other food stuffs? or should I hold out for 3 each?

4skwerlz
04-04-2009, 01:13 PM
We have settled down and they eat 2 blocks each per day before they get anything else and I don't make a mistake of giving them more during the afternoon, because they shred them and throw them out of the cage. In the afternoon is when I give them all their fresh stuff. They don't shred and throw that. Goof balls.
And Leroy, the boy, pees everywhere.:dono Sadie, the little girlie, does not. She'll even indicate she's uncomfortable and I'll put her back to go pee.:wahoo
But, back to my latest question: Is 2 blocks each ok with lots of other food stuffs? or should I hold out for 3 each?

Glad your kids are eating them. :thumbsup Yes, 2 blocks per day, per squirrel, is fine.