PDA

View Full Version : Greens?

Legomom
03-15-2009, 02:01 PM
I read somewhere, don't remember where, that one of the greens should be cooked, not raw when giving to sqs. I thought it was kale maybe, but not sure. Anyone?

Also, green onions...do they just eat the green part or is the bottom ok, too?

:thankyou :thankyou

Charles Chuckles
03-15-2009, 02:41 PM
i think kale raw is fine, don't know of any you must cook:thinking onion i would only give the top but i never give onions, i bet all of it is ok though...gee i was a big help:poke :rotfl

Pam
03-15-2009, 02:45 PM
I noticed that onion was on the toxic plant list that 4s posted yesterday.

http://ratamania.50megs.com/2002/Apr.../midapril.html (http://ratamania.50megs.com/2002/April/midapril/midapril.html)

Tomo
03-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Onion (all forms) and garlic are toxic for squirrels. It causes gastric upset.

Legomom
03-15-2009, 03:55 PM
OOOPS!! No more onions!! Thanks!! I went shopping with the Ca/Phos list & NOT the other list! Darn!

What about collard greens & radishes??

Bugsie
03-15-2009, 03:59 PM
OOOPS!! No more onions!! Thanks!! I went shopping with the Ca/Phos list & NOT the other list! Darn!

What about collard greens & radishes??

Me too Lego...I about got green onions today myself:sanp3

lamb57
03-17-2009, 04:42 PM
My Bubby boy won't hardly eat anything green! With the exception of some broccoli and green grapes he just turns his little cute nose up at ANY leafy green stuff. I have tried several kinds to no avail.

Ardilla
03-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Penny really likes...

leaf lettuce
snow peas
green bell pepper

She'll also eat...

romaine lettuce
broccoli
asparagus

PBluejay2
03-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Geez--I just skimmed the Ratmania site and am wondering if there's ANYTHING (other than rodent block, of course) that we can safely feed them. I've never given them onions but I do give them a variety of veggies and fruits (limited) and nuts (including almonds and sweet potato and . . . (the list goes on)) and haven't had any nutritional problems so far, either with my non-releasables or the ones I've released. Maybe I'm just lucky, but of my four non-releasables, the "house squirrel" has the shiniest coat and best physique of any of the four, and he has stashes all over the house and very rarely will even touch a rodent block of ANY kind. Maybe if given a variety, they DO know what they need. We may simply need to provide the best (to our knowledge) choices, and it's only when we don't provide enough choices that we run into trouble.

4skwerlz
03-17-2009, 08:07 PM
It appears that squirrels can eat several things that are toxic to rats. However, the rat list is a good place to start. If we see wild squirrels eating it and/or folks have been feeding their squirrels a food for a long time with no ill effects, then it becomes "okay" for squirrels. Onions/garlic...we don't know. But it's on the rat toxic list, I haven't seen the wildies eating them, and I haven't heard of anyone feeding them regularly....so onions/garlic stay on the "no" list for now IMO. Plus, think of the bad breath.:D

As far as greens, I can't imagine a squirrel needing something cooked in the wild....

Kale is fine. Collards are fine. Radishes seem to be fine, but I think in small amounts since they're a potent little veggie.

Legomom
03-17-2009, 08:25 PM
What was the verdict on collard greens & radishes? :thinking

PBluejay2
03-17-2009, 09:13 PM
I don't know anything about radishes. I've offerred red radishes in the past, but no one touched them, so I stopped. As far as collards, they are numero-uno as far as calcium to phosphorus ratio, but they (mine, anyway) prefer kale. I spend a lot of money (for me) on produce each week. Most of it goes out to the wilds (who rarely touch it) as leftovers, but I do catch my nonreleasables and to-be-released squirels nibbling on just about anything I put out for them. Even my house squirrel will snub a pecan every once in a while to eat a piece of kale or papaya or sweet potato . . .

Ardilla
03-17-2009, 09:18 PM
Adding collard greens to my shopping list...