PDA

View Full Version : Tomatoes

BHO
03-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Good afternoon all.

How many tomatoes (cherry or grape ones) can i give to adult squirrel per day? thanks so much

4skwerlz
03-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Good afternoon all.

How many tomatoes (cherry or grape ones) can i give to adult squirrel per day? thanks so much

You could probably give 2-3 in a day, but I wouldn't feed them every day. It's better to feed a variety of different veggies throughout the week so they get lots of different nutrients.

Legomom
03-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Also a bit messy if they eat too many....I speak from experience!!!
:poop :poop I gave one to my flyer two days in a row! :poop :poop

BHO
03-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks. Hard to get them to eat all variety of veggies. They wont touch broccoli. They will eat blueberries but that gives them tummy upset. So I know what you mean.

THey will eat some carrots and oranges and love apples.

4skwerlz
03-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Thanks. Hard to get them to eat all variety of veggies. They wont touch broccoli. They will eat blueberries but that gives them tummy upset. So I know what you mean.

THey will eat some carrots and oranges and love apples.

As long as they're eating their blocks, just whatever veggies they'll eat are fine. Have you tried bags of mixed lettuces? Henry likes those. Also, make sure you're not feeding too many treats, fruit, and nuts. If they fill up on those, they won't eat veggies. Have you looked at the Healthy Diet? HOW you feed is really important too.

BHO
03-11-2009, 06:07 AM
thanks Skwerlz. Are the healthy blocks the same as the recipe you posted?? They are starting to eat those, though a few still wont. Those that have, I have not given any nuts cos once they have a taste of the nuts, they become really naughty again!!! I hate to say this but it seems like if I give them an inch they want a yard.

4skwerlz
03-11-2009, 06:16 AM
thanks Skwerlz. Are the healthy blocks the same as the recipe you posted?? They are starting to eat those, though a few still wont. Those that have, I have not given any nuts cos once they have a taste of the nuts, they become really naughty again!!! I hate to say this but it seems like if I give them an inch they want a yard.

Yeah, nuts are like crack for squirrels. They don't really need extra nuts if they're eating the squirrel blocks, since the blocks are nut-based. Feed the blocks in the morning, with no other foods. Then give them a nice selection of veggies to munch during the day, along with some fresh wild foods like a green branch or pine cone. Another block in the evening if they're hungry. Then finally a small treat at the end of the day: a small piece of fruit, a bit of corn, or a small nut.

The Henry's Healthy Blocks I sell are basically the same as the posted recipe, but have even more vitamins. I'm working on converting the new formula into a recipe, but I'm not sure everyone will want to buy 20 different supplements.:dono

BHO
03-12-2009, 01:01 PM
thanks Skwerlz,

You are right there regarding the nuts, they are indeed like Crack for the little rascals. some are eating the blocks and I have not given them any nuts cos if I give them a nut, they would want 2 tomorrow :) I feel a little guilty not treating them with a nut or 2 but what to do?? Still a few I have not been able to convert.

In any event, would any pine cones do and by pine cones you mean the brown ones right and these do not have any pine nuts in them. Thanks again.