PDA

View Full Version : help squirrel not doing well

jbane09
09-08-2006, 12:57 PM
my 5 week old squirrel isnt doing wll he was ok until yesterday.. I am too nervous to type can someone please call me (number removed by Admin) myhusband has squirrely at the vet now someone please call
thqnkw

Suro
09-08-2006, 07:32 PM
I can't call cos it would cost me an absolute fortune from here (UK) - but maybe posting a few symptoms might help us all here help you and him?
I hope he does ok, my thoughts are with you all :(

island rehabber
09-08-2006, 09:45 PM
Hi everyone, unfortunately he's gone. I spoke with jbane09 right after the poor baby died. A very strange case: he was normal until last night when he suddenly had diarrhea and became very lethargic....he was lethargic all day I believe and she had plans to get him to the vet, but as her husband was preparing to take him the squirrel died in his hands. A very sad story...other than the fact that she was feeding him Esbilac puppy milk vs the powder, this lady did everything by the book and really cared about the squirrel. I wish I had the knowledge to tell her what happened....I'm thinking internal parasites that took over a week to really get him? She had him about 10 days.

Suro
09-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Awww so sad, sorry to hear that :(

I wonder if it was similar to what took my little boy on Monday night...Suddenly totally lethargic, vomited once, then rapid breathing, then he had to be put to sleep as he couldn't even cope on oxygen. :(

After he died loads of blood leaked from his nose and mouth, suggesting something awful had happened to him. Didn't really fit with aspiration pneumonia either, as he'd had no crackles on his lungs or discharges or anything. :(

So sorry you lost him, it breaks my heart when we loose them :(

I'm starting to worry reading through all these threads....esbilac isn't available in the UK, and I am feeding goats milk, plus vitamin and calcium/phosphorus supplements...I hope thats ok....

thundersquirrel
09-09-2006, 11:18 PM
I spoke with jbane09 right after the poor baby died. A very strange case: he was normal until last night when he suddenly had diarrhea and became very lethargic....he was lethargic all day I believe and she had plans to get him to the vet, but as her husband was preparing to take him the squirrel died in his hands.

the same darn thing happened to the 9 week old fox we had for two days. like i said before, i thought it was anthrax, possibly. that's what it seemed like based on symptoms. he was just sooooo lethargic......a squirrel that old should be running around and stuff, but you could put this guy in any position and he would just sit there, limp. he died really quickly.

i'm disturbed that we've had three squirrel deaths in the last week...i'm really hoping this isn't an epidemic. the five foxers we have right now are totally healthy, though. hmmm.....