PDA

View Full Version : Constipation

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Baby Preston is constipated and straining again. Grunting also.
What can I give? He's I am guessing 5 weeks.

Critter_Queen
09-08-2006, 11:51 AM
http://www.scarysquirrel.org/special/pets/infant/squirrelmanual.pdf#search=%22raising%20infant%20tr ee%20squirrels%22

Page seven of this says under "introduction of formula" that if baby gets constipation or diarhhea that you should go back to the rehydrating formula and start over with the formula introduction, slowly.

I would think it would stand to reason that if it works when introducing formula, doing pedialyte in between a couple of feedings might help some...

I'll be interested to see what others say...

island rehabber
09-08-2006, 11:55 AM
I would hold off on any solids you're giving him right now, and dilute his formula 3-to-1 water to Esbilac, instead of 2 to 1....make it really warm, almost hot. A little tummy massage couldn't hurt either....some people give their squirrels a warm water bath as well, at least his lower body, which I've ever tried but it may help.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-08-2006, 12:28 PM
He dosent really eat any solids yet except for some crumbles of nuts the others drop (nuts being binding anyway) sure wont help. I got him out of his cage we layed down for a nap & I rubbed his tummy he loved it holding his front legs in the air, I will start the 3-1 with the Esbilac next.. Thanks! Next time he strains I will try the warm bath. I dont have PDF on this computer, so I cant see that wealth of info?